Supose i'd better introduce

• tawnochikno
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #12016 by tawnochikno
Replied by tawnochikno on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
"Layla" lovely a very "Lucky Layla" ;)

Meant to add I,m going to give the original owners details to Sue Reynolds (Puppy/Rescue Co/ordinater Deerhound Club), to make sure she never obtains another Deerhound again so no other breeders or hounds have to go through this.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by tawnochikno.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #12017 by MrsMc
Replied by MrsMc on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
I like Layla - she is a very pretty girl. Where are these pictures of her dad? :) You must have needed a stiff drink last night Tawnochikno. What a shock! Luckily though with a happy outcome.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by MrsMc.

• chook
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12018 by chook
Replied by chook on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
picture of her dad are is on hear, and if i remember right her brother from a previous litter,
same mating.

www.deerhound.co.uk/black...ackpool2008.htm

• tawnochikno
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12019 by tawnochikno
Yes you are correct "Rom" is her dad and "Rye" was from the same mating 2 years previous so sort of makes him a brother!

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12020 by MrsMc
They are both very handsome boys. I can't wait to see more pictures of Layla when you get some. I am pleased she has settled in so well. Hope her tummy settles too!

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #12021 by MrsMc
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by MrsMc.

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12022 by elvee
Replied by elvee on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
Layla,I like it,lovely Layla.

Hope her tum settles soon.

I think this would be a good story for the newsletter Glynis!

• tawnochikno
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12023 by tawnochikno
elvee wrote:

Layla,I like it,lovely Layla.

Hope her tum settles soon.

I think this would be a good story for the newsletter Glynis!

:unsure: A very scary story but yes I,d already considered it.
Wonder what everyone thinks of having "A Name and Shame" on this forum to keep those with puppies or rescues up to date with the suitability of prospective homes.
This case has proved and other posts, that some people can be pretty convincing when trying to obtain a Deerhound.
I wouldnt want it to end up as a slandering item just people to avoid.
I always have kept a list of any puppy enquiries I felt were not genuine and always passed my fears over to Sue Reynolds.
What do others think?

• cassandra1260
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12024 by cassandra1260
Replied by cassandra1260 on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
I am in absolute favor of a " names" list..it's often a difficult journey - both for stud owners and the bitch's breeder to keep accurate track of puppies as the new owners may move, or marry..remarry - (name change)..and even sometimes are less than forthcoming with their intentions..and I've even heard of them giving references of close friends who will provide a better than true picture of themselves and the conditions they'll be providing. People forget how much of ourselves breeders put into these litters. They are and always will be our children too. A list for the right reasons can only help the dogs, the breeder and even the new owner. They will know that there is help out there, and also that they can't so easily pull the 'wool' over someone's eyes...even if it is because of embarassment. Life can throw curve balls at all of us and there no shame in asking for help.
Layla is a lovely feminine anme..she'll love and learn to respond to it quickly, I'm sure.
You might want to try a little canned pumpkin w/brown rice for her 'runs' - make sure it is just pumpkin..no salt..no additives..also banaas...want to replace lost potasium due to fluid loss from the loose stools.
Best of luck to you and Layla
Cassandra & Zippo

• Sid
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12030 by Sid
Replied by Sid on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
tawnochikno wrote:

Wonder what everyone thinks of having "A Name and Shame" on this forum to keep those with puppies or rescues up to date with the suitability of prospective homes.
This case has proved and other posts, that some people can be pretty convincing when trying to obtain a Deerhound.
I wouldnt want it to end up as a slandering item just people to avoid.
I always have kept a list of any puppy enquiries I felt were not genuine and always passed my fears over to Sue Reynolds.
What do others think?

Careful! I know where you're coming from but a public Name and Shame list is wide open to abuse. May I suggest that if anyone gets a puppy inquiry from someone who's not quite what you want, they post a message asking other breeders to PM them for details? And certainly keep Sue Reynolds informed of any dodgy homes.

• tawnochikno
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12032 by tawnochikno
Words of wisdom Sid.
I have been reconsidering the post ref; Name and Shame but what I had originally in mind was that the forum site owners held a list not for public view, which they had received information by PM.
Any breeder with concerns over a potential buyer could PM in and have the details checked or added for their own personal decision to be made.
Problem comes with "policeing" this and I,m fully aware that breeders own personal views on someone can be exactly that "personal"
However if it is limited to cruelty or abuse of a hound then maybe that should be the main consideration of such a list.
Just a few thoughts in my head!! Not much else in it!!! :lol:

• chook
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12035 by chook
I think with a public name and shame you do have to becarfull of the legal side of things
as well, it could affect the board. If the deerhound club held the names,
then breeders should be able to get info if they are unsure of someone, not a lot of breeders come on hear, but most if not all have joined the club.

Anyway i think shes verry settled now, will let the pictures do the talking.

Am posting the link to them as theres quite a few, i took her out with 2 of my most reliable ones, or what i though was reliable :lol: , she was good as gold, our micky was a little **** and just kept hunting up and buggering off, i think the mudjac was around, but she was a star, she found an old tennis ball, and just had a few minuites of nutyness, shes now fast asleep.

s126.photobucket.com/albu...t%20the%20lake/

• cassandra1260
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12037 by cassandra1260
Replied by cassandra1260 on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
The idea of a "List" shouldn't be looked at as a chance or avenue to hurl insults or attack an individuals values, simply to help secure the best possible future for our hounds. An open mind will certainly be a requirement when considering such a possibility, but...remember folks..this bred is NOT for everyone, and it is OUR responsibilty as stewards, breeder or fancier...to protect their wellbeing. Is that really too much to ask??? for an animal who gives so much of themselves to us. Please...look at it as a chance to protect something you hold near and dear..and IF this is handled correctly, it could in fact become a very valuable asset to this forum, to the breed overall. Then, there will come a time, as we've just witnessed, where the communication between those with a common passion, can do good, REALLY good.
Cassandra (it's all in how you see the world..be positive 1st..)

• Chon Dubh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12039 by Chon Dubh
Replied by Chon Dubh on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
I have just registered with this forum so that I could just add a few words of my own to this topic.First let me say how delighted I am that "Layla" has found a loving home.It is such a pity that her original owner could/would not approach the breeder for help and advice.I have to say here and now that I have more than a passing interest,as I happen to be the happy and proud owner of "Rainich",who happens to be a litter sister of "Layla".I have had all the support in the world from the breeder,and also from Glynis (owner of the puppies sire)who I am now proud to call a friend.In fact I have been a dog owner for many years,in other breeds,and have never had as much support as I have had from the Deerhound fraternity.For anyone struggling with their hounds out there seek help-their are many willing to help.Finally,good luck Layla,from your sister,Rainich.

• tawnochikno
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #12040 by tawnochikno
:laugh: What brill pics to see Layla behaving like a normal deerhound and having fun.
She must have really put her trust in you already and I just cannot express my thanks to you words dont seem enough.
I would really like to see her again in the future.Just give her a hug from me.

:cheer: Thank you Kim for your kind words.
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by tawnochikno. Reason: Added note

• annette cole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12041 by annette cole
Replied by annette cole on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
Think Layla is one lucky girl good luck hope you have many happy year with her.
Annette

• chook
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12042 by chook
tawnochikno wrote:

:laugh: What brill pics to see Layla behaving like a normal deerhound and having fun.
She must have really put her trust in you already and I just cannot express my thanks to you words dont seem enough.
I would really like to see her again in the future.Just give her a hug from me.

I will do - once she wakes up lol,
we do occasionaly come up near your area, the lurcher forum i go on (Lurcher link)
does fun racing days at highgate, which i dont think is that far from you,
its only on a couple of time a year, but maby will be able to meet up at one of them - one day.

• chook
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12044 by chook
Hi Chon Dubh and welcome to the forum, its nice to hear from you.

• Scallywag
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12046 by Scallywag
Replied by Scallywag on topic Re:Supose i'd better introduce
Hi, I'm the person who acted as an intermediary between Layla's original owner and chook. I'd just like to say that when the original owner, who is a friend of mine, told me she was planning to get a deerhound I told her I didn't support her decision because I didn't believe she had the experience or committment to raise the dog well. Since then I've been trying to keep an eye on the situation. Recently Layla came to stay with me for a few days and I realised she needed a lot more positive input than she was getting. I spoke to her owner who agreed to let me rehome her. So, it's at least as much my fault as anyone's that the breeder wasn't contacted, and I apologise unreservedly for that. To be honest, I was just so relieved to get agreement about rehoming that I acted quickly. Since I know and trust chook and happen to know she adores deerhounds, I asked if she would take her and luckily for all concerned she agreed. I realise now I should have suggested the owner contact the breeder and I'm so sorry for any trouble caused by not doing so.
I just want to point out that although Layla has lacked positive input, structure and routine she hasn't been cruelly treated, in fact her owner was very fond of her and extremely upset to see her go, but accepted that she needed more care than the owner was in a position to give. The original owner is disorganised and inexperienced in a way which has, in my opinion, lead to Layla being neglected, but is not in any way deliberately cruel.
Please bear in mind that having paid for Layla, the owner then passed her on without charge in recognition that the dog's needs come first.

Personally I'm relieved and delighted that Layla is now in such good hands and will receive the excellent care she deserves. I do apologise for having mishandled the situation vis a vis the breeder though.

• chook
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #12048 by chook
Z - you did what you thought best for her at the time,
And in one respect it might seem daft, but i am glad that you thought of me,
otherwise Layla probably would'nt be fast asleep in my living room.

The day i picked Layla up from scally, i did get the number of the breeder,
so i could contact her myself, as it happens Glynis reconised Layla and
we had a chat - ive spoken to Laylas breeder this morning and shes quite happy with her being her - i know it could have quite easaly turned out for the worse for Layla,
but this story does have a happy ending.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds