Your first Deerhound/Dog?

• Elise
  • Elise's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #3417 by Elise
Elise created the topic: Your first Deerhound/Dog?
I thought it would be interesting/embarrassing to have a look back at info about the first deerhound / dog that you owned.

In my case the first family dogs were Biddy (a Cairn Terrier) and Blythe (a Wire Haired fox Terrier). Biddy was a total escapologist and certainly didn't hold back with the odd bite or two! Blythe though was a sweet natured thing. So here's a picture taken nearly 30 years ago (doesn't time fly when you're having fun) with me, Biddy and Blythe.

I'm the one on the left.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Elise. Reason: additions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elise
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #3418 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My own dog though was Bonnie an Airedale Terrier. Who put up with me learning obedience training with her - poor long suffering dog. Our first Deerhound was Binorie who arrived in the mid 1980's. She was never shown and I'm not sure if she was even a pedigree deerhound. Binorie unfortunately developed throat cancer and even with extensive treatment died before she was 5 years old.

Mum and me and well the deerhound is the grey one!
Attachments:

• Elise
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #3419 by Elise
When Binorie died Ardkinglas Pattie arrived around 1990. She was needing re-homed so came to us when she was about a year old. Here are some photos of her before the traffic accident when she lost her tail. She was an exceptionally stubborn dog who had an excellent time being led astray on many a walk by our then rescue lurcher Ben. She then became the foundation Cusidh bitch and I just can't believe what she started off!

Attachments:

• Elise
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #3420 by Elise
Here's another photo of Ardinglas Pattie in the west of Scotland near Dunoon.

Attachments:

More
9 years 11 months ago #3421 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
Nice hair in the top picture Elise!!

My first dog, as a child was a Jack Russell, I was two and I think I tormented it, I once washed it in the loo, it left home.....say no more.
Then came Rusty, a black, tan and white mongrel.
My first dog as a married woman was a Deerhound/Greyhound/Collie lurcher called.....Lurch, hence the screen name. A lovely dog who died at 10 from cancer. He sticks in my mind, even though weve had several Lurchers, Greyhounds and a Patterdale Terrier.
Murphy (Deerhound) came to us in 2005, Paddy (Border Terrier) arrived in 2006. I'm told I am not allowed anymore :angry: and to enjoy the ones I have.....for the time being!

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #3430 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My first dog was called Petra after the one on Blue Peter - she was a mongrel and an expert escapologist, eventually getting involved in an RTA and having to be PTS. I remeber lying awake all praying that if God let Petra live I would never, ever be naughty again (I was about 6). When she died I was not very impressed with God!

We went on to have more mongrely type dogs all from Battersea dogs home as we living in South London. When My late husband and I met we had Colin our beautiful blue/white whippety lurcher who was a rescue then fostered Ellie, a brindle deerhound bitch who we got out of a puppy farm situation with the help of the D/H club and the late Eve Braybrooke. Ellie eventually went to live with Eve (long and sad story). The day after my husband died suddenly from a heart attack in 2003 was the day we were collecting our own 1st deerhound but that was not to be. Colin lurcher died 6 months after Mike as he pined for mike very badly.

So, after a lot of sadness enter Murray mint and my 4 other rescued/aquired lurchers/greyhounds :)

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #3437 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My first dog was Max, an Aussie terrier X, maybe with a dachy. My sister lived in Queensland at the time and she saw this man kicking and beating this poor little dog so she took him and brought home to Tassie for me. He was my mate and we became very close. If I cried, he would cry. I loved him so much. We played together and slept together.

My first Deerhound was Isabeau(named from the movie Ladyhawke). I got her in 1988ish. She was a 2yo rescue/failed hunter. She was the most serene and gentle hound, a real lady. She never barked or grumbled. She loved her new home and she loved life.

Isabeau gradually went blind from Retinal Degeneration and at the age of 9 she went into renal failure and was pts.

When living in Perth WA we got Dana. She was my husbands first real experience with Deerhounds. We got her from a breeder there. Dana was a brilliant dog. She could be let off lead anywhere and never wondered. She was lanky and very tall for a bitch. Dana dies at 6 1/2 from a heart attack while out on a walk. So young :(

And then we have the motley crew we have now
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Brollachan.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #3469 by CiCoch
CiCoch replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My first dog was a very head strong Yellow Lab called Ben. He too was an escapologist and would quite regularly get out of our garden and go a wandering. One day, we had a phone call from a lady who lived 2 miles away who said he turned up on her doorstep. I went over to pick him up and they had him in front of the fire with a bowl of milk and another of pedrigree chum :laugh: He got his feet right under table there. He was a very friendly dog and would run to the far horizon to see another dog, but he did usually come back ... eventually. That was before I had any idea on training!

Sorry about the blue tinge, had problem with the scanner, as it's an old photo.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by CiCoch.

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #3470 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My first dog was a bitsa that my grandad got the family when I was about 6. Her name was
Tiny, and died when I was about 12/13. My parents then got another dog, Marcus and then a Yorkshire Terror (not a spelling mistake!) Freddie. I will get my wife to post the dogs she has had, and then talk about our Deerhounds.
Spring
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Spring.

More
9 years 10 months ago #3590 by Spring
Our first taste of Deerhounds was with Ben, who was a Deerhound X we got from the RSPCA.
We researched deerhounds and decided 'one day'. We had Ben for about 2 years. He got bloat and despite the best efforts of The Royal Vet College, and a slight recovery,he relapsed and had to be PTS.
We had another dog in between (Rosie)and then in 2006 decided it was time for a Deerhound. We went to the Breed Show, spoke to people and got Callie (Lyart Yester) from Sid, up in Scotland. She told us "One is never enough" and sure enough in 2007 we got Merlin, who sadly died on 20th Dec 2007 aged 8 months. We wanted another but waited until
May 2008, when we got Fergal (Sorisdale MacManus), people who know us know the story, but he is fine now and a bouncing 11 month old. Will post some pics of the dogs.
Spring

Callie (L) and Merlin at Lodge Park 2007

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #3591 by Spring
Sorry Pic of Callie (L) and Merlin Lodge Park 2007
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Spring.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #3592 by Spring

Lodge Park 2008 Callie (L) and Fergal
Attachments:

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
9 years 10 months ago #3593 by Teratyke
Teratyke replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
Hi Spot
Sorry you have had problems with the photos. I've been working on the picture problems and I thought I had it all sorted! Can you email me your picture, I will upload it for you and try to find the problem.
Thanks
Rob
oh email it to forum @ scottish-deerhound.com (remove the spaces around @ )

• Elise
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 10 months ago #3624 by Elise
Hi Spot

Hadn't realised you had Lyart and Sorisdale hounds. What a good combination. Elise

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #3633 by Spring
Thanks Elise
Callie (lyart Yester) is lovely, not a show dog, because she thinks it's 'stupid and pointless'. But she is fast and loves to lure course. Fergal (Sorisdale MacManus) is still a puppy, but is good in the ring, we've qualfied for Crufts and he has been fairly
successful.
Spot.

More
9 years 1 month ago #15838 by Gwynapnudd
Gwynapnudd replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
The first dog I remember us having was a boxer called Amro (american roulette), when I was a baby. At the same time, we had a deehound bitch called Maddie. I think her kennel name was something like Campdown Fair Madna (bearing in mind I saw her breed certificate for the first and only time about twenty years ago). She died when I was little, of cancer, I believe. I used to sit by her head and try to hand feed her. She was the best natured dog we ever had, and had beautiful, pale silver fur.

My very first memory involves my parents going away, and leaving me with my grandparents to go and fetch a deerhound, when I was about 3. Her name was Tainchel, no idea of her kennel name. My grandparents also ended up with a non pedigree deerhound called Sam, who we caught in flagrante with Tainchel one day, and we ended up with 12 puppies, including Fatty, Jodie, Rambo and Al. We kept Rambo and Al, but Al unfortunately dided from eating slug pellets.

Rambo had a beautiful nature, he had to have part of his tail amputated in the end, because he kept wagging it so much and cutting it open on bricks, trees, etc. He was so daft, you could do anything to him. Tainchel ended up living to be about 16, and Rambo 15, so quite good.

After Rambo, we had Hamish, from Bettina (Ardneish), but unfortunately, he was run over. We also had Tundra, then her niece Fuschia. From Fuschia, we now have our 3, Jake, Jorja, and Emma.

If anyone knows where Maddie came from, could you get in touch, because I would like to find out about her and Tainchel.

And if anyone remembers buying a deerhound around 1986 (roughly), in the Cardiff outskirts, from Gail and Kim Lewis then hello!

Nia

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #15925 by Ardneish
Ardneish replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
Gwynapnudd wrote:

The first dog I remember us having was a boxer called Amro (american roulette), when I was a baby. At the same time, we had a deehound bitch called Maddie. I think her kennel name was something like Campdown Fair Madna (bearing in mind I saw her breed certificate for the first and only time about twenty years ago). She died when I was little, of cancer, I believe. I used to sit by her head and try to hand feed her. She was the best natured dog we ever had, and had beautiful, pale silver fur.

My very first memory involves my parents going away, and leaving me with my grandparents to go and fetch a deerhound, when I was about 3. Her name was Tainchel, no idea of her kennel name. My grandparents also ended up with a non pedigree deerhound called Sam, who we caught in flagrante with Tainchel one day, and we ended up with 12 puppies, including Fatty, Jodie, Rambo and Al. We kept Rambo and Al, but Al unfortunately dided from eating slug pellets.

Rambo had a beautiful nature, he had to have part of his tail amputated in the end, because he kept wagging it so much and cutting it open on bricks, trees, etc. He was so daft, you could do anything to him. Tainchel ended up living to be about 16, and Rambo 15, so quite good.

After Rambo, we had Hamish, from Bettina (Ardneish), but unfortunately, he was run over. We also had Tundra, then her niece Fuschia. From Fuschia, we now have our 3, Jake, Jorja, and Emma.

If anyone knows where Maddie came from, could you get in touch, because I would like to find out about her and Tainchel.

And if anyone remembers buying a deerhound around 1986 (roughly), in the Cardiff outskirts, from Gail and Kim Lewis then hello!

Nia

Hi Nia sweety, send hugs to mum and all

Tainchel were around quite a few years ago, Tainchel harrier springs to mind, he was shown by Elaine Medlicott and was a handsome hound.

I am not sure if she still keeps deerhounds but will try to find out here is a link to a pedigree
I also remember Tainchel dark lady very well, she was so attractive and did really well in the ring, a lovely lady in Cornwall owned her
kilbournedeerhounds.com/p....php?code=01739

B
x
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Ardneish.

More
9 years 1 month ago #15932 by Elvee
Elvee replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My first dog was Basil,a headstrong beagle my parents bought me when I was about 13 and getting led astray by a 'bad crowd' at school.We went to obedience training and competitions,though we were rubbish,he did put me back on the straight and narrow!i had him till i was 21 and married,it was as if he thought,well my jobs done now it's time to go.
I had racing greyhounds for a good few years,then got involved with greyhound rescue and re-homing.Dan was one of the great loves of my life.I thought I was hankering after a wolfhound,but when I met a deerhound in kennels I was working in,I realised that this was the breed for me.Eventually after trying for a year to get a puppy,we got Megan,3yrs ago and I will never be without a deerhound now.They are THE best.

More
9 years 1 month ago #15936 by wallace
wallace replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
My first was a collie cross bitch called Toni, soppy girl. My first dogs when I was married were, a cross breed Cokee great family girlie, up and down slides,playing football, being dressed up. Two lurchers, Barnie Deerhound/greyhound, Dino GSD/greyhound/collie. Barnie was a stunner he won me supreme lurcher. They were all rescue dogs. My first deerhound my husband and I brought was Drissaig Loch Avich(Wallace)in 1999. Unfortunatly my husband died so he never saw Wallace become a champion at Crufts. Next was Rockley Lunar Eclipse(Finley),I sadly lost both to cardiomyopathy. The first bitch deerhound is Killoeter Lurag(Eris)mum to Hamiltonhill Fred D Mercury(Logan) & One Vision(Lily). Before I had the pups I also had and lost Freya Pyefleet Rowanberry because I lost her so young I got the whippet Merlot so Eris could have a fiend. So now I have four dogs. :cheer:

• deerfan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Totaly crazy about deerhounds
More
9 years 1 month ago #15969 by deerfan
deerfan replied the topic: Re:Your first Deerhound/Dog?
my first dogs where griff a mixed english gordon setter and Jo a great dane they where there when I was born, my fist sighhound was yerzika a borzoi in 1974
my fist deehound Paganach born in december 1989 came to us easter 1990

Aghnadarragh deerhounds and catherine
Fiona, Grèine, Hinney and Isold

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 1.408 seconds