Wheaten deerhounds

• Trowsahound
  • Trowsahound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #25169 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound created the topic: Wheaten deerhounds
Does anybody know of any pedigree wheaten deerhounds? I have never seen one and at a recent show, neither had anyone else, and yet if you look at Victorian paintings of deerhounds there were wheaten and brindle versions a plenty! Wolfhounds still come in some lovely wheaten colours as do Greyhounds, so why not Deerhounds? Have they officially died out? Would there be any way of re-introducing the strain? It seems a shame to me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #25170 by Sid
Sid replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
We've lost the 'old' colours, I'm afraid. The closest hound to wheaten currently alive is Sue Rose's Gentiehun Tain, but he's not a true wheaten and will probably grey up as he matures.
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Sid.

More
9 years 1 month ago #25174 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
You're right Trowsahound, it is a shame we've lost the old colours. Sid raised an interesting point too, that our deerhound puppies often do show these old colours but as they mature they disappear. I was quite excited, for example, at the reddish brown colours in my boy from Ladygrove/Kilbourne when he first arrived here at 3 months but slowly, surely, as he grew he turned silver. And now with this litter I have from him there is plenty of this red/brown hue and distinct brindle markings on some too, but will they last? I doubt it.

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
9 years 1 month ago #25175 by lurcherlover
lurcherlover replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
thats funny,at the deerhound funday a lady loved my rough coat wheaten lurcher and was saying wouldnt that be beautiful colour for a deerhound!

More
9 years 1 month ago #25176 by Clunie
Clunie replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
You certainly seem to get the lovely old colours in the deerhound lurchers. Our first one kerry was a 'heather tartan' from what I understand - a beautiful brindle (of various colours) and grey check effect, which changed with the seasons. Shame our deerhounds aren't like that too!

More
9 years 1 month ago #25177 by suerose
suerose replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
Sid wrote:

We've lost the 'old'colours, I'm afraid. The closest hound to wheaten currently alive is Sue Rose's Gentiehun Tain, but he's not a true wheaten and will probably grey up as he matures.

Oh please please please humour me can I not just pretend he is wheaten

I think sometimes people are told to strip out puppy coat and stipping the coat will change the coat
It would be a dream to breed a wheaten deerhound

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #25179 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
Yes I nearly drove into a hedge passing a lovely wheaten lurcher that looked exactly like a deerhound, and chased the owner up the street. Sadly though he was a lovely lurcher rescue.

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #25180 by Trowsahound
I wonder if a wheaten strain could be re-introduced somehow? I know nothing about breeding or kennel club rules, or how many generations it would take to be accepted as a pedigree deerhound!

More
9 years 1 month ago #25182 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
Here is my Lurcher, back in 1989 with my daughter Kerri. He was a beautiful colour.

• feldandjack
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #25184 by feldandjack
feldandjack replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
suerose wrote:

Sid wrote:

We've lost the 'old'colours, I'm afraid. The closest hound to wheaten currently alive is Sue Rose's Gentiehun Tain, but he's not a true wheaten and will probably grey up as he matures.

Oh please please please humour me can I not just pretend he is wheaten

I think sometimes people are told to strip out puppy coat and stipping the coat will change the coat
It would be a dream to breed a wheaten deerhound

I'm happy to humour you, Rannoch is a true one off and if any dog can bring a lighter colour, it's him ;)

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #25192 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
Take a look at the "recessive colouration genes" thread in general d/h chat,lots of info...apparently in Australia there are wheaten dogs still..but no pictures seen..

More
9 years 1 month ago #25193 by suerose
suerose replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
I have been talking to a person that has been with deerhounds forever and she was saying that she thinks there was something in the old breed standard about the colours

Sid have you got a copy

More
9 years 1 month ago #25197 by Jacobite
Jacobite replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
Unfortunately rumour lies, there are no wheaten Deerhounds in Australia. Maybe someone saw a Staghound, which are Deerhounds crossed with various breeds mostly for hunting Roos. So I don't know why they are called staghounds :unsure:

Pam

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

More
9 years 1 month ago #25198 by Sid
suerose wrote:

I have been talking to a person that has been with deerhounds forever and she was saying that she thinks there was something in the old breed standard about the colours

Sid have you got a copy

Not to hand, but the standard's on the Deerhound Club site. The colours are still in it, even if we no longer have them.

More
9 years 1 month ago #25207 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re:Wheaten deerhounds
Not sure of this without pictues to compare to but our Freya is very brindley with a fair smattering of wheaten here and there. She too may lose it of course as she is just 13 months but several DH folk have commented on her colouring.

More
9 years 1 month ago #25208 by crackadog
all the golden reddish on top are new growth
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
9 years 1 month ago #25209 by crackadog
this is the back end but shows the wheaten bits more clearly(if that is wheaten??)
Attachments:

More
9 years 1 month ago #25235 by Sid
Tavish was very similar when he was that age, but he's grey all over now. When he was a baby pup, he was tiger brindle.

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #25237 by Trowsahound
I've seen several deerhounds with these lovely brindly markings, which are quite common in young dogs I think! I wonder if it would be possible to breed this colouration back in? Does anyone know? In fact I'm surprised no-one has thought about doing this before now, but as I said, I know nothing about breeding!

More
9 years 1 month ago #25244 by Sid
Trowsahound wrote:

I've seen several deerhounds with these lovely brindly markings, which are quite common in young dogs I think! I wonder if it would be possible to breed this colouration back in? Does anyone know? In fact I'm surprised no-one has thought about doing this before now, but as I said, I know nothing about breeding!

It's not a question of breeding brindling back in, it's just that it's masked to a large extent by the adult coat, which is normally grey. Deerhounds' coats change throughout their lives and even with the seasons - summer coats can appear to be a different colour from the winter coat and so forth.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.865 seconds