Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deerhound history

Deerhound history 9 years 1 month ago #1633

sheona wrote:
thought you might like to see this photo........sheona (hope it works)

Hi Sheona

Really liked your photo. Here's a reproduction of a deerhound of a Drummond picture which was a calendar owned by a lady who had kennels in the north of Scotland. The kennels no longer exist as the lady died about 30 years ago, but she certainly knew Norah Hartley in the 50's if not earlier. She didn't have wheaten deerhound however, but this is an interesting piece of memorabilia nevertheless. Elise

• Elise
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 516
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Deerhound history 9 years 1 month ago #1635

Here's a photo of the lady (who I'm afraid my Mum can't remember the name) who had the kennels in the North of Scotland I think.

• Elise
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 516
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Re:Deerhound history 9 years 1 month ago #1699

I'd like to see more of this sort ofr thing, the more history the better. Great photos and stories.
  • Terry
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Deerhound history 9 years 1 week ago #2011

If you are interested in the history of the deerhound one of the best resources on the web is the Wolfhound site www.irishwolfhounds.org try for a starter /deerhound.htm.
What is clear is that Irish nobles were taking their greyhounds to Scotland from the 1st century and that as late as the 17th century the deer hunting dogs were known as Irish Greyhounds.
It becomes obvious that the direct delineal descendant of the Irish Greyhound, or Wolfdog, is non other than the Deerhound.
In fact it makes perfect sense, as a modern wolfhound is far too slow to ever catch a wolf and the preferred size for a working deerhound is under 30 inches.
  • chrishafod

Re:Deerhound history 9 years 1 week ago #2042

THESE PHOTOS ARE FANTASTIC ELSIE, LOVE THE ONE WITH THE WOMAN AND VERY FANCY CARS IN IT, NOT TO MENTION THE DEERHOUND. WONDER IF ANY ONE ELSE HAS ANY OLD PHOTOS
  • sheona
  • Under Graduate Boarder

Re:Deerhound history 8 years 11 months ago #2449

I love those pictures. Nice job...maybe you could make copies of the man wearing the kilt...and sell..certainly would be nice framed.
  • cassandra1260

Re:Deerhound history 8 years 11 months ago #2813

chrishafod wrote:
If you are interested in the history of the deerhound one of the best resources on the web is the Wolfhound site www.irishwolfhounds.org try for a starter /deerhound.htm.
What is clear is that Irish nobles were taking their greyhounds to Scotland from the 1st century and that as late as the 17th century the deer hunting dogs were known as Irish Greyhounds.
It becomes obvious that the direct delineal descendant of the Irish Greyhound, or Wolfdog, is non other than the Deerhound.
In fact it makes perfect sense, as a modern wolfhound is far too slow to ever catch a wolf and the preferred size for a working deerhound is under 30 inches.

Yes this is a friend of mines website Hilary Jupp is one of the most knowledgable people I know
and if anyone has concernes with regard to health this is the website to go too.
  • Ardneish

Re:Deerhound history 8 years 9 months ago #4438

I've been meaning to post this one for some time - just to let you see how little they've changed in the last 100 years. Morag was a working Deerhound, I think.
  • Sid
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 87
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Re:Deerhound history 8 years 9 months ago #4440

Hi Sid,
looks like my kind of D,h. Have you any info on her lineage, decendants, etc.
  • alan
  • Graduate Boarder

Re:Deerhound history 8 years 9 months ago #4455

My kind, too - I'm afraid all I know about her is her name, Morag, and her handler's, he was Hugh Cheape of Tioram, Mull. The photograph was taken in 1903.
  • Sid
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 87

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 7 months ago #21661

Hello,

In the February(2010) issue from "Deerhound" (The Official Journal of the Deerhound Club of Victoria Inc.,Australia) was print the article from "Dogs in Canada" magazine with the title " The true Highland Greyhound" with interesting information and old pictures over the Deerhound history.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1391

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 5 months ago #23546

Hello,

I have this reprint from a old alamanack from the Cusidh Scottish Deerhounds Shop.

Card issuer: Cusidh Cards
Title: "HIGHLAND DEER-HOUND , The illustrated London Almanack for 1871"

(Click please of the image for a greater view)

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Joerg and Yoki.

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 3 months ago #26108

Hello,

I have found in the internet an article (year 1999) from Virginia Hawke over the history from the Deerhounds in Australia.

Link to the article: www.deerhounds-online.de/...rame_hawke.html

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 3 months ago #26332

Hello,

I have found in the internet an old article (year 1931)in the Newspaper "Camperdown Chronicle"/Australia.

Source: Camperdown Chronicle, Thursday 7 May 1931, page 6

Scan:

Best regards
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 3 months ago #26334

Hello,

I have found in the internet a old article over the hunting with Deerhound/Greyhound
mix in Australia from the year 1908.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald, Wednesday 23 December 1908, page 4

Scan:

Best regards
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 3 months ago #26364

Nice one Joerg...it's true..Greyhounds are so fast,they have a kind of tunnel vision when chasing,and are prone to breaking legs/feet,or running into things,on rough or tree covered ground,so keen is the focus on the prey...
  • hairybeasty

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 3 months ago #26391

hairybeasty wrote:
Nice one Joerg...it's true..Greyhounds are so fast,they have a kind of tunnel vision when chasing,and are prone to breaking legs/feet,or running into things,on rough or tree covered ground,so keen is the focus on the prey...
Hello hairybeasty,

Thanks for your explanation.

Regards
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 2 months ago #26755

Joerg and Yoki wrote:
Hello,

In the February(2010) issue from "Deerhound" (The Official Journal of the Deerhound Club of Victoria Inc.,Australia) was print the article from "Dogs in Canada" magazine with the title " The true Highland Greyhound" with interesting information and old pictures over the Deerhound history.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki
Hello,

The article from "Dogs in Canada" magazine was now print in "The Claymore" newsletter (issue May/June 2010) of the SDCA.

Here is a scan from the title page of the "Dogs in Canada" (issue October 2009).

Scan:

Best regards
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 2 months ago #26793

I love it. I have a Deerhound bitch and an ex racing Greyhound dog. It is hard to realise just how different these dogs are. Anyone should be able to take in a Greyhound; a deerhound is a complex dog, requirng a huge level of commitement, escecilly as a young dog. Mine was bred as a working dog and displays a huge level of feistiness. On a perfect surface, as the pursuit dog, the greyhound can, for a few seconds outpace her. Otherwise, she will not only have him every time, but will run in woodland and other rough terraine, while the Greyhound looks on, in amazement; while the way an incline, barely slows her, is extraordinary. Yes, greyhounds are whimps; deerhounds have been descrbed as "tough on themselves" and I totally concur. At about 6 months, Isla ran at a barbed wire fence and ducked the lower strand, with perfect precision, as my emotions went from terror to amazed admiration; which is how I now feel about these extraodinary dogs.
  • chrishafod

Re:Deerhound history 7 years 2 months ago #26817

I thought mine was the only deerhound who could duck under a barbed wire fence without slowing down :laugh: When we first bought the farm we spent a fortune putting in new fencing for the cattle and assumed that it would also keep in the dogs. For a while it did but then Taog who stands 34 inches at the shoulder watched one too many wallabies ducking under the lower strand of the barbed wire to get away from him and decided that he could do it too. The first few times we were really worried that he would open up his back on the barbs since the bottom strand is only 13 inches from the ground but he seems to be able to judge it perfectly. He still can't catch the wallabies once they get into the bush but he has fun trying :laugh:
  • Bundaleer
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
  • Page:
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds