Royal Deerhounds

• Brollachan
  • Brollachan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
9 years 7 months ago #10120 by Brollachan
Brollachan created the topic: Royal Deerhounds
I read (possibly even here) that the Royal family had Deerhounds which I think was started by Elizabeth I. Does anyone know if they still keep Deerhounds?
I was also curious to know if the Danish Royal family still have Deerhounds

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #10121 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
I don't know if any of the royal family own Deerhounds, I suspect not. However the head keepers at both Windsor Great Park and at Balmoral do and I suspect that they were used once to hunt Deer before the recent anti hunting laws were passed.

Rob B

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 7 months ago #10122 by MrsMc
MrsMc replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
I know one of Macks brothers went to live near windsor and when he was being walked as a pup the royal car came by and slowed down as the queen pointed him out to prince philip.

More
9 years 7 months ago #10123 by Robb
The Deerhounds at Windsor and Balmoral could well be owned by the queen but looked after by the Gamekeepers. I'm sure that the queen doesn't have a DH as a pet, her pet corgies are well publicised as are princess Ann's dogs and prince Charle's. (Roties and Labs respectively I think although I'm not sure.) I would think if any of the major royals had one as a pet then we would have seen pics in the press by now.

Rob B

More
9 years 7 months ago #10135 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Perhaps the Queen goes lamping! She goes shooting so why not a bit of coursing, the royals are known for their love of blood sports!
Perhaps if anyone on the forum has ever been for tea, can they recall having eaten venison?!!!

• Brollachan
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
9 years 7 months ago #10148 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
I think it would be very fitting for the Royal family to have Deerhounds.
But wasn't the Danish royal family given Deerhounds as a gift many many many years ago? I wonder if they still have the lines.

More
9 years 7 months ago #10164 by Clunie
Clunie replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Also if you look back through the pedigrees for many generations (as I did one day, tracing Clunie's ancestors) there certainly is reference to Prince Albert's Hector (I think it is Hector) dated 1860ish...

Seems quite odd that it is easier to trace Pedigree dog ancestry and family history than it is to do my own!!:huh:

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #11098 by Ardneish
Ardneish replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Prince Albert had a very famous Greyhound
a lovely black and tan I have a framed picture of it here

I used to show Poultry and had a great day at the National Poultry show when my cockerel beat
(Get this) The Queen Mothers bird!! woo hooo (However the flock was kept a a respected Poulter called Will Burdett) ( still do keep some purebred Cochin and Orpington have just set the incubator this morning) I remember a day at three counties , when I took the Reserve CC, and best Softfeather in show in the Poultry section

A few exhibitors were laughing when I bought my huge Rosette and prize money to show them and quite a bit jealous that I had prize money , as I had no prize money with my Reserve CC, it was a happy day sadly allot of the people are now in the happy hunting grounds but happy memories.

The Royal family have always kept and shown poultry as did Miss Noble of Ardkinglas who showed Rhode Island Reds taking them along to the train station and of they went to the show, she of course was also one of the most respected breeders of Hackney horses she was a true "stockman" had a natural eye for any stock.
Poulty showing was very well supported in the Victorian times and still is.

Prince Charles is a fan of the Maran and has staff to keep his line of this breed of bird

slightly of topic
opps

More
9 years 6 months ago #11110 by daisymay
daisymay replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
MrsMc wrote:

I know one of Macks brothers went to live near windsor and when he was being walked as a pup the royal car came by and slowed down as the queen pointed him out to prince philip.

Wow... I do hope that Mack's brother did his 'Best Deerhound Bow' to Her Majesty ;)
Good job it was not Elsie Grey... she would have stuck her fat chops into the car to check them out and see if they had any royal picnics in the car :ohmy:

• Brollachan
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #11125 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Ardneish what a great day that must have been, and to beat the Queen Mother WhooHoo

I can just imagine Elsie Grey carrying out a search on the royal vehicle for food, Lockie would be the sa,e :laugh:

More
9 years 5 months ago #11426 by Graizelund
Graizelund replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
MrsMc wrote:

:laugh: it was his sister Bron, and she has seen the Queen 2 or 3 times since then, every time the car slows so they get a good look at her...

her owners tell me she is the most photographed dog in Windsor, she has "met" Samuel. L. Jackson who had his pic taken with her, and a lot of people leave them copies of photo's in the cafe they sit in.....A lot also get her confused with the Wolfie who is the Guards mascot??

One of these days me and Leah are going to go down and visit :cheer:

Maybe the Queen is thinking how regal the hounds look...far more noble than a corgi hee hee :laugh:

~~ Liz ~~

More
9 years 5 months ago #12115 by chilliwoman
chilliwoman replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Nothing against Corgis ....but I fail to understand the attraction when you could have such a regal dog as a Deerhound.....mmmmmmmmmmm...............some people eh?

Never judge a book by its cover.........always look deeper![url][/url] www.chillifundamentals.co.uk

• Murph the Magnificent
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #12123 by Murph the Magnificent
Murph the Magnificent replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Yeah, we saw the wolfie at Trooping the Colour at the weekend. It's the mascot of the Irish Guards and had a natty red waistcoat on.

Each to their own, but corgis are pure mince compared to our gorgeous beasties!

More
9 years 5 months ago #12128 by Robb
The Irish Guards are stationed just down the road to me at Tern Hill. Often when I'm out walking Ben I get stopped and asked if I'm walking the Guards Mascot Wolfhound, who is quite a celebrity around here. I have to politely correct them that Ben's a Deerhound and not the Guards Wolfhound.

Rob B

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24504 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Hello,

In the May issue from the Deerhound (Official Publication of the Deerhound Club of Victoria Inc.) was a interesting article over drawings with Queen Victoria with Hector.

In the article was a picture of this painting - Queen Victoria on horseback (Leopold) with a bloodhound far left, Dash in the left and Hector to the right.

Link to a picture of this painting ( Sir Edwin Landseer - Queen Victoria on horseback -1839): www.royalcollection.org.u...&detail=magnify

Best regrads
Joerg and Yoki
Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Joerg Yoki.

More
8 years 5 months ago #24506 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

I have found 2 another pictures from paintings with Hector.

Link 1 ( Sir Edwin Landseer - Hector, Nero and Dash with the parrot, Lory - 1838)

www.royalcollection.org.u...&detail=magnify

Link 2 ( George Morley - Taglioni and Hector 1836 )

www.royalcollection.org.u...&detail=magnify

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #24515 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Good pics Joerg,he was a great artist..we get half sharks and un-made beds now in the art world.. :S

More
8 years 4 months ago #25666 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

I have found in the internet informations and a picture over the Huntly Castle.

Quote: "... On the door lintel are four shields bearing, from left to right, the arms of Huntly; a monogram combining the initials of the 1st marquis and his lady; the arms of Lennox; the date 1602. Between them are deer-hounds. "

Link to the site with picture: www.marie-stuart.co.uk/Castles/Huntly2.htm

... and more informations over the Huntly Castle: www.marie-stuart.co.uk/Castles/Huntly.htm

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #25671 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
very interesting articles Joerg - thank you

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #25676 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:Royal Deerhounds
Thanks Joerg..Huntly Castle is about 10 miles from here,and I used to work for the Gordon-Lennox estate... :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.978 seconds