Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Deerhound cross wanted

Deerhound cross wanted 3 years 1 month ago #42404

:( Since dear DH/GH Smokey was tragically taken from us in July we have been casually looking for a "hairy, older hound, not sure what, any mixture considered.

She was so special having come to us as a foster for GRWE but we couldn't let the old lady go so adopted her. I miss her so very much but also her DH ways. Our 3 greyhounds are lovely but I would like a smaller dog, not too madly energetic but who interacts with you and wants cuddles and to be played with.

Please, PM me if you see one in rescue as we keep missing them or they're just far too far to visit (we're SW Hertfordshire), some are just that wee bit too big, which isn't normally a worry but car space is getting limited now. It can't be too bouncy indoors or the greys will get upset as they do so enjoy stretching out having a snooze. :whistle:
Heather
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42598

We have looked and been unlucky so have decided it's not to be.
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42620

Hi, if you are still looking, may be I can help. I have a 9 year old male deerhound cross, I am reluctantly having to try and rehome him.
  • Hector
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42622

Sent you a message.

Anyone else reading this - can you help Hector? I don't know where the lurcher is likely to go into a rescue but some of these dogs just don't cope so foster care would be better.
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42624

This is frustrating as there's been no contact since this message was posted.

PLEASE, if you've found somewhere for your dear dog could you just let me and others reading this by posting again.
Heather
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42627

Valid point Heather.....as I have posted previously this site is only rarely used now days for what ever reason.......shame really.........would be nice for an update though dh:)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 715
Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve, 3HOUNDS

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42629

Hi Brodie! It's so frustrating to post a message such as that, get peoples interest up to help and then ......NOTHING. Why bother in the first place. Rant.

I think it's such a shame people don't use this forum because you keep in touch with other owners and it's fun finding out what goes on. We adored Smokey and went to a couple of DH events where she was made very welcome but without her now there's not much point.

I think everyone uses Face Book these days, which we're not on. Some of the Rescues have an open page we can look at so have been able to help with transporting a dog out of the Pound to its foster home and have done some home checks as well. Even found a greyhound bitch in one of the rehoming centres for a family as they matched each others needs when the rescues weren't interested. Now it's living with love, luxury, lots of space and hound companionship.

I'll continue to come on and see if there's any thing we can attend just to soak in the beauty and friendlyness of the DH!!!!
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42632

I think it's sad the forum is not more used too. However, Facebook is not really an evil entity. You only need register and look at the stuff you want. The 'My Deerhound World' page is lovely. Nice people, helpful, lots of pics of dogs and puppies. Immediate advice. Lots of the people on here are there. Give it a try, it can't hurt. Really Facebook can't steal your soul. Set your security appropriately and you'll be ok. Trust me. PM me for help if you need it :)
  • Bodhranlady
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 136

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 10 months ago #42643

Hector has come back to say he's found a home for his dog which is great and we're happy for him.

We're disappointed of course because his hound was probably what we've been waiting for since late last year. Most of the ones that end up on forums are youngsters.
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 9 months ago #42690

Probably too far from you / and maybe too big / and maybe too young - but she is absolutely gorgeous:

s3.zetaboards.com/HWAR_Fo.../7723476/1/#new

just pulled from the dog pound yesterday! Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue are just 2 miles East of Leominster which is in north Herefordshire.

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 9 months ago #42697

Came on here as soon as I received a message on my email but she was already reserved.
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 9 months ago #42700

Oh I'm sorry - although obviously really glad for April. Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue are very effective at rehoming quickly - they have a very large facebook following which is growing daily. It is good that more and more people are thinking of adopting thanks to growing publicity /facebook.

Obviously this doesn't help you though - but I'll keep looking out for you.

(Don't you sometimes wish all the unwanted greyhounds would grow a pretty rough coat - and then they would all fly out the doors of the rescue centre as quickly as their deerhound lurcher cousins)

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 9 months ago #42702

How about Paddy, he looks rather lovely: www.dogstrust.org.uk/reho...~/1131178/paddy

a hairy older lurcher - not necessarily any deerhound in there but quite tall with a face more like a deerhound than greyhound, so could be. A dear looking boy, whatever he is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3HOUNDS

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 8 months ago #42728

Advanced notice - if you look on the Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue facebook site (which you can look at even if you don't have facebook) :https://www.facebook.com/hwanimalrescue
you will see two hairy lurchers (one described as possibly part deerhound) that are currently doing their 7 days at the pound - it appears neither have been collected yet and one is nearing the end of their 7 days so its quite likely they will be up for rehoming sometime in the next day or so. Keep checking the facebook site and their website forum s3.zetaboards.com/HWAR_Forum/forum/10356/

dunno if either will be suitable for you as their are no details so far but at least you should be in with a chance this time if they are!

P.S. we are currently fostering the lovely Echo and Jock. Anyone want a beddlington terrier? Now they don't turn up in rescue very often

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 6 months ago #42830

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 6 months ago #42834

i'm sure if you searched the web for 'deerhound lurchers' it would not take too long to find one that you fancied. Good luck with the search dh:)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 715
Wigster n San x

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 6 months ago #42849

3 HOUNDS, Greycloud is looking for homes for her dogs, 1 bitch and 2 males, not youngsters which I know you didn't want. Maybe you could help her.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 6 months ago #42869

:kiss: At last we found the DH type lurcher we had hoped to offer a home to :kiss:

This is Charlie on Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue and we couldn't have asked for more and my heart did a flip when I first saw the notification, even though it wasn't the best picture. As they arrived on their facebook they were so fantastic that I really got hopeful and had arranged for us all to visit last Sunday. I cancelled that appointment due to it being the day last year that our Smokey was killed so it didn't seem right to be looking at another lurcher. To add to that we had yet another letter to write to the Police about their administrative errors in not bringing the dogs owner to Court so that made it worse for us.

Oh, how I wish we'd gone anyway :ohmy: because Charlie went with his fosterer to visit a friend with a JR and two lively lurchers. He was scared, grumbled and wanted out of the house but he'd only been "in care" just over a week.

Due to this ,which my mind has to accept but my heart is so very, very upset we can't meet him as we have a multi dog house and it's assumed it isn't for him. We just can't believe our misfortune. Our 3 greys are older, which is required, bone idle, quiet and have a sniff of foster dogs then settle down ignoring the incomer. Little lurcher dog is a bit more lively but responds to them ignoring her!!

"Meant to be" and then, "Not meant to be". That's it, couldn't find one who sounded so for us and we'd have given him much love and space as he needed but he might have been OK with our four. :huh:

www.lurcher.org.uk/index....nDog&dogid=1004;
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by 3HOUNDS. Reason: website added

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 6 months ago #42870

3Hounds, why not ask Charlie's foster to bring him over for a visit? He may not have liked the other visit he had but he might turn out wanting to be a member of your home. You can always first visit him with the 'scent' of your dogs on you and if he takes to you leave behind a blanket with the scent of your dogs on it. This will let Charlie get to 'know' your gang before meeting them and may help with his visit later.

When possible I would send a 'scented' blanket to a breeder so that a puppy got to know her new family before hand and this time around breeders sent their scented blankets with their pups so that a bit of familiar eased them into the new home.

I hope you do request a visit with Charlie and that all works out well.
  • Pho
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Pho. Reason: oops

Deerhound cross wanted 2 years 6 months ago #42873

Is it worth persevering? Try getting back in contact and putting your point across? Being persistent can sometimes pay off......
As you are experienced and knowledgeable and know your own dogs perhaps they will have a re-think? Or at least let you try - there can be no harm in trying...
  • Page:
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds