Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Smokey - What a tragic end

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 6 months ago #42187

I still can't believe it but on Sunday 6th July 2014 our beloved DH cross GH was attacked by a Mastiff type dog who grabbed her muzzle (nose), wouldn't let go so crushed it. The vet had to PTS.

We are heartbroken and feel dreadful about the way the poor dog died, what pain and fear she must have suffered. We put posters up about the attack and eventually the man has gone to the Police but it's all so horrific.

Smokey came to us in Sept. 2012 as an emergency foster from Greyhound Rescue West of England and was about 9yrs. Philip & I help all GH Rescues and had always yearned for a "hairy hound" so were delighted to adopt this regal lady. She was full of fun and every morning would have a happy run down our small hallway and then out into the garden where she would bark with the pleasure of being alive & try to get our Greys to play but they never did.
She filled our life with fun and was such a character and we'll never get over the horror of her attack.

Perhaps one day another Deerhound/Greyhound cross will need a home? :(
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 6 months ago #42189

Hello 3HOUNDS,

Very sorry this tragic end of your Smokey.

Run free Smokey.

Joerg and Yoki + Lucy
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1405
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3HOUNDS

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 6 months ago #42192

What a dreadful thing to happen. I'm so sorry. As Joerg says run free Smokey.
  • WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 6 months ago #42194

Absolutely horrible, makes me fear having other dogs come anywhere near mine. I am so sorry for you and Philip.
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 287
Ironstone Deerhounds

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 6 months ago #42197

What a tragedy. Im sorry to read this, and hope that mastiff wil be dealt with.
  • KimC
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 6 months ago #42198

That is absolutely horrible. I am so sorry. :-(
  • Bodhranlady
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 136

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42200

@3HOUNDS. I am so sorry, I didn't realise that Smokey was your dog. I saw this on Facebook and I also posted this on the Spotted:Watford site and have been so upset reading about it in the Watford Observer.
I've walked my Deerhound down the Mundens and over to Wall Hall college many times, thankfully I never encountered this dog, but there are so many bull breeds around with owners who do not understand their animals capabilities. I read your peice in the Watford Observer this week and you are so right that people should keep their dogs on a lead, especially when approaching other dogs who are on leads. I do not have my lovely Deerhound anymore, but still have a Border Terrier who is picky with who he likes, I keep him on a lead when walking places where other dogs might be, but you still get people letting their dog run over and I am left dealing with a growling dog.
I can't imagine how traumatic this was for you. RIP Smokey

PS, I'm in Bushey by the way
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42202

Thank you all for your messages. It was horrific and the poor dog must have been so scared and in such pain. I can't get the images out of my mind & I'll never forget it. :ohmy:

Smokey was adorable and we miss her so much it hurts. Brodie, her greyhound companion is traumatised still but hopefully the Bach Flower remedies will help him.

The man who walked the Mastiff has gone to the Police but it doesn't sound as though there's much they can do.

Take care all.
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42204

So sorry to hear of this terrible accident. Poor Smokey. A dreadful experience for you all.
  • crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 267

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42215

3Hounds
I am so sorry to read about this, my heartfelt sympathy to you.
last year I was walking one of our lurchers on the lead when he was attacked by 2 staffies. I am sure they would have killed him or badly injured him had he not slipped his lead. What was bad was this happened I an area where children often play and I was just so glad my 10 year old son wasn't with me. It changed Juras personality as before the attack he was the friendliest dog. When these 2 came upto him he thought that they were going to play, our poor boy. But at least we still have him.
hugs to you.
Run free Smokey
xx
  • Clunie
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 92

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42216

My heart breaks for you I am so terribly sorry this has happened.
I am a big believer in "if in doubt-muzzle". Mastiffs cannot be stopped by a human, unless that human is a substantial person, with knowledge and understanding of the breed.
I used to often see a guy "walking" a mastiff cross , he had no control what so ever, the dog would leap and lunge at my 3 old jack russells, spitting and snarling. I became terrified of meeting this dog when out so I stopped walking them for awhile, until I heard the mastiff had been returned to the pound from which it came.
I know its all down to training, I know we have to train our big dogs to be social interactive animals but all our training fails when we meet a dog like that out and about.
What an awful experience for you, RIP Smokey, a heartbeat at our feet.
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42217

@3HOUNDS

How ironic, my son was walking in the Mundens last week with his Jack Russell and met a man with an Alsation, they struck up conversation and Smokey was mentioned. The man with the Alsation said that he often saw this person out with the dog and that the man with the Masstiff actually asked "Are there any dogs in there?" to anyone coming out. He knew this dog wasn't friendly, this is what makes me so sad and angry.

I hope your feeling a little less shocked now, I know it will take a long time to get over this, just hoping your feeling a bit better xx
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42218

Oh how sad for you, but how awful for Smokey, to have had such a tragic end. I hope you will come to terms with it and hopefully another dog will come your way for a loving home. dh:)
  • wallace
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62

Smokey - What a tragic end 3 years 5 months ago #42235

How absolutely horrible - I'm so so sorry.

Poor sweet lovely Smokey - you must be heartbroken - my heart goes out to you.

Sending kind thoughts - that you will, in time, remember Smokey's good times and not her terrible end. xxx

Lets hope that with all the publicity some owners may stop and think before letting their aggressive dogs loose in public.

Smokey - What a tragic end 2 years 6 months ago #42829

:( On 6th July it will be one year since Smokey was taken from us and the dog who killed her is still walking around near us .....unmuzzled. There was a "hitch" in the police administration which means due to their error the case papers didn't arrive with the Crown Prosecution Service so there wont be a Court case. :evil:

The police are only now visiting the family to assess what type of dog it is because we keep chasing them and the owner states she is a "Canary Dog cross". A guarding dog from the Canary Islands who will attack other dogs and is banned in some countries but not here. Nearly every day I have flash backs of the attack and pray I don't come across the animal again.

The legal system really doesn't seem adequate and we will be taking this up with the police administration.
  • 3HOUNDS
  • Yearling Boarder

Smokey - What a tragic end 2 years 6 months ago #42835

It must be heart breaking for you to see this other dog......my heart goes out to you dh:)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 715
Wigster n San x
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.380 seconds