Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher

• Lisa
  • Lisa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #41984 by Lisa
Lisa created the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Hi everyone, I just thought I would post some recent pictures of my beautiful rescue lurcher, Millie. We have had her for 4 years now and she was an absolute wreck when we first got her but she has blossomed into the most wonderful dog! She was found as a stray in Wales and was on death-row in the pound before the rescue centre staff came and collected her she of the lucky ones! She still gets a bit frightened by other dogs when out on a walk (mostly if they bark at her - normally small dogs!) but on the whole she is now a happy, relaxed dog and she has a wonderful companion in Hamish (Lodhainn Beinn). We don't know how old she is, but she has started to slow up a bit recently and has got a little bit of arthritis in her joints, she could be about 10 years old now. Having a rescue dog has certainly been a very rewarding experience! :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Lurch8252, WendyS, stussy, Joerg Yoki, Lieve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #41987 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
She`s beautiful! And she was lucky to find you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lisa

More
4 years 5 months ago #41988 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Millie looks lovely, she's certainly blossomed with you!

I also have a rescue Deerhound/lurcher called Harri, I think that she is about 5. I don't know her background, she looks very Deerhound but so does Millie! I also have a rescue Greyhound and Lurcher. Rescues are certainly very rewarding and luckily mine don't have issues other than my Greyhound who rises at first light although he does seem to slowly be learning that I don't like getting out of bed until at least 7 AM. :) !

Rob B
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, WendyS, Joerg Yoki, Lisa

More
4 years 5 months ago #41990 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Hello,

Great pictures Lisa and Rob, thank you for sharing.

I love Deerhound/ xxx lurchers.

Have all a very nice weekend!

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lisa

More
4 years 5 months ago #41996 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Wow - what a stunner! She was certainly lucky to find you dh:)

More
4 years 5 months ago #42003 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Beautiful dogs, both of them. Millie looks cute, and have that old hound charming something, still i also think she has her very own will, when it comes to that? (She lokks like that..)
Having rescues is revarding, but also a challenge. Ive ended up with 5 rescue borzois, which is certainly a challenge to me and my deerhound who is not a rescue, but a good alpha male for the hunchbacked pack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 5 months ago #42011 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
What a babe :woohoo: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

I am actually deerhoundless at the moment but have a rescue greyhound, who at the age of 8 is finally starting to realise life can be fun :laugh: 2 bedlington x whippets and my other rescue boy a 5ish year old deerhound/greyhound called finn who is a total big baby!!

Have to say theres nothing like taking on a rescue and seeing them finally start to unpack their baggage and discover life is not that scary, Finn was pretty nervous when he arrived and is now a total cuddlemonster :laugh:

I have always given my lot cod liver oil and as my greyhound has got older she has also started on glucosamine which seem to stop her getting as stiff, she also started on coconut oil recently and im already noticing an improvement in her coat ;) :)

More
4 years 5 months ago #42025 by KB
KB replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
what beautiful dogs all these are! It's ridiculous, I'm sitting here with a perfect deerhound curled at my feet and I'm completely ignoring him and smiling at photographs, like one might notice and wander over for an ear rub.

But Stussy, it sounds like you can answer a question I have about cod liver oil - I've noticed Otto seems stiff sometimes, so you'd recommend the CL oil? what is the glucosamine you give them?

kb x

More
4 years 5 months ago #42031 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
KB
Healthspan do a glucosamine for dogs. Just google Healthspan.

• Lisa
  • Lisa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #42042 by Lisa
Lisa replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Thanks everyone for all your lovely replies and for posting pictures of your beautiful Deerhound lurchers! I have come to the conclusion that they are such pretty dogs! I certainly agree that having a rescue is a very rewarding experience even if it is really difficult at first while they are settling in.

Here are a couple of pictures of Millie when we first brought her home from the rescue centre, you can see that she has a bit of a haunted look about her - she was not a happy bunny I can tell you! She was emaciated, had terrible dry skin, and was terrified of absolutely everything, including us! It took my ages just to get her used to having her collar and harness put on - I eventually did it using lots of patience and treats. It was the same for her walks, she was terrified of people, traffic and other dogs and it took us about 3 months to get her comfortable with going out for a proper walk, Then I had the problem of her having a bit of fear aggression to other dogs and it took ages to train her to feel more comfortable around other dogs by giving her treats everytime she saw another dog or person. It took ages and required an awful lot of patience but we got there eventually and now she enjoys her walks. However, she does still have some fear issues around other dogs but it is normally if the other dog eye-balls her or barks at her. I just cross over the road and give her lots of space and she has a special vest that I got from the 'Yellow Dog' Charity which says "I need Space", it really helps.

Here are a couple of photos of her in the early days when she was trying to settle in with us.

Here she is now, all happy and relaxed with her companion Hamish (Lodhainn Beinn)

Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Lisa.

More
4 years 5 months ago #42043 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Lovely to see the change a good home has made - worth all your hard work.

More
4 years 4 months ago #42077 by 3HOUNDS
3HOUNDS replied the topic: Millie my beautiful Deerhound x lurcher
Just found my way through all these great stories and the pictures are to die for!

We have always had greyhounds but were asked to take an emergency foster in Sept. 2012 & she's half Deerhound/Greyhound and was about 9yr then. Yes, of course she stayed with us because we'd always wanted a "hairy" dog and there was room as my lovely Mia went to the Bridge at the same time. Fate. :kiss:

She's such a character as she loves singing, talking and when outdoors loves to play ball or just bounce around with the sheer joy of being alive. She barks at the 2 GH boys, nips them and playbows but they don't play and I feel so sorry for her.

About a year ago I was able, via your forum, to put a person who needed a home for his DH in touch with a lady who desperately needed a Wolfie or DH for her young bitch as its Mother had died and she was so lonely.

This last week I've again put a young DHx on here who was in a Pound, now in isolation kennels and a week on Monday hopefully might have a foster home to go to if people have made contact with Lurcher SOS who urgently require more foster homes. If anyone can offer a permanent home there are some great pictures on their forum of SPIRIT. Beware - you'll fall in love!!!!!

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds