Deerhound lurchers

• Gwynapnudd
  • Gwynapnudd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #22358 by Gwynapnudd
Gwynapnudd created the topic: Deerhound lurchers
Just asking this as a speculative question, for now. We currently have 2 deerhounds, one male and one female. Emma is fixed, but her brother Jacob is not. We've been thinking about getting a new dog to raise with my nephew, and I was wondering if a lurcher would be a good idea. He's 5 years old now (my nephew, I mean) but the 2 deerhounds are a bit too boisterous with him, so we were thinking of getting a puppy. Don't get me wrong, I love our deerhounds, but the ones we've had recently have been quite short lived, and it's heart breaking, I was hoping a lurcher would have a better chance at a longer life span.

The thing is though, I would love it if we could put Jacob out as a lurcher stud, and get one of his pups back to keep, since we know his temperament and that of his relatives.

Just throwing the idea out there to see whether I may be on to something, or I'm being completely loony.

PS, my nephew has been raised with deerhounds, he is good with dogs (he was fantastic with Jorja, who had PSS), it's just that Emma and Jacob are a bit too prone to sending him flying, no matter what we try.

Nia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #22367 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
You could always try rescue first,

Not being funny or anything, but you have to think of the other pups
that will be born, will there be the homes out there for them - the lurcher rescues are full to bursting at the moment, theres pups and adults coming in from all over the place.

But yes - lurchers can be fantastic with kids and raised up together
they can end up best friends, although you would have to look at which breeding,
as they can be bouncy as well, depending on the size you want, beddy x's are good with kids
as they do have a carm nature.

Jane

More
8 years 7 months ago #22411 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
Hi Gwynapnudd
I think the size of a deerhound cross would leave you in pretty much an equivalent position e.g. potentially the dog being too big/strong for your nephew to hold perhaps. We have a three year old son and the deerhounds are great with him but realistically when we're out and about its our Bedlington/Whippet cross lurcher that he takes and has much more interaction with in general.
I've always liked the idea of him having one of the smaller poodles having greatly admired them when I went to agility clubs/shows. However, I'm not sure my mother would agree and I'm also not sure how that combination would work with deerhounds. Lurchers though I think are usually great with deerhounds. I'm sure though there are many possibilities here. All the best Elise

More
8 years 7 months ago #22416 by Sid
Sid replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
Poodles and Deerhounds? Ask Sue Rose - her Standard Poodle Magic blends wonderfully with the Deerhounds.

More
8 years 7 months ago #22418 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
Yes of course - I should have remembered that. Magic works well with the deerhounds so a definite possibility then. Elise

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #22545 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
Recently sold a litter of D/H x collie pups and the funny thing is that all purchasers had owned one before,so it might be a bit of a niche market with not many on-a-whim buyers...

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #22756 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
hairybeasty wrote:

Recently sold a litter of D/H x collie pups and the funny thing is that all purchasers had owned one before,so it might be a bit of a niche market with not many on-a-whim buyers...

How's the 'rogue' puppy and its owners getting on Hairybeasty?

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #22768 by hairybeasty
Panic over. I passed on the wisdom learned here and everyones fine now,must update the relevant thread..thanks for asking Trish. :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #23212 by Feshie
Feshie replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
Briefly on the subject of life-span: I'm on the 4th lurcher of my life. Tinker was ?x part bearded collie, (a great HUGE hairy beast and son of my aunt's tiny short haired whippety lurcher!) lived to age 17, very gentle but could be quite intimidating because of his size!; Tinker 2 (rescue, long haired, part deerhound in shape but not so big) lived to age 24 - very gentle and was fabulous with our/all children when they were young; Reiver (rescue) ?x greyhound (very greyhoundish) lived to age 11-13 - was a very physically strong handful and more "aggressive"; and the wonderful Feshie (deerhound/...?) is a big softy, has a "given" birthday of 1st May when he "will be 2", and hopefully will live to a good age.
Hope that helps?

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23219 by houndy
They all sound wonderful Feshie :)

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23220 by hairybeasty
houndy wrote:

hairybeasty wrote:

How's the 'rogue' puppy and its owners getting on Hairybeasty?

After 12 weeks she's decided that a dog is too much of a commitment and he's coming back to hairybeasty's house tomorrow...
Attachments:

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23222 by houndy
what a shame - pity she didnt consider the committment aspect of gettng a puppy before getting it :angry:

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23225 by hairybeasty
Yeah well,she's a hippy masseuse,single parent,with murals on her walls,doubt if she can commit to anything...I have done about 6 home training visits,should never have sold her the dog...blame myself..but she said she wanted the dog,....thought it would be ok...some bl@@dy people.. :angry:

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23226 by houndy
will you be able to re-sell the pup?

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23227 by hairybeasty
hope so..poor little beggar is at it's third home already..

More
8 years 6 months ago #23230 by Sid
Nothing wrong with being a hippy masseuse single parent with murals, Hairybeasty. If the breeder who sold us our first Deerhound had felt like that about hippies with kids, I wouldn't be where I am today. The Mad Scientist might feel differently about it, but I'm damn glad that Andy and Astrid saw past the hair and the clothes and let us have a puppy. I must admit, I might draw the line at the murals, though. And being a single parent isn't always a matter of choice, as my daughter will no doubt confirm.

• feldandjack
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #23231 by feldandjack
feldandjack replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
Sid wrote:

Nothing wrong with being a hippy masseuse single parent with murals, Hairybeasty. If the breeder who sold us our first Deerhound had felt like that about hippies with kids, I wouldn't be where I am today. The Mad Scientist might feel differently about it, but I'm damn glad that Andy and Astrid saw past the hair and the clothes and let us have a puppy. I must admit, I might draw the line at the murals, though. And being a single parent isn't always a matter of choice, as my daughter will no doubt confirm.

You are a wummin of many hidden sides sid :lol:

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #23234 by hairybeasty
No offence meant Sid,used to have long hair and walk into town barefoot myself, :dry: just a bit cross,and just an excuse for something to moan about.Totally off topic..just cross with the lady for not thinking about it properly...oh,and had some beers too... :S

More
8 years 6 months ago #23258 by Sid
And none taken either. Dinnae fash!

More
8 years 6 months ago #23260 by wallace
wallace replied the topic: Re:Deerhound lurchers
You could always have a whippet, they go with Deerhounds and are good with children. :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.897 seconds