Taming the rug

• feldandjack
  • feldandjack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #17995 by feldandjack
feldandjack created the topic: Taming the rug
OK first it was Bryns birthday, and I didn't want to bother him on his birthday. Then it was Christmas and a bit hectic. Now it's New Year and Bryn is sprawled on the floor like a disgarded shagpile rug, so it's time to get the brush and comb out :( Bryn hates the brush and comb.

The poor boy has sensitive skin (He's an all round wimp) singing 'Mr Tuggy go away' does not make the experience any easier for him and having endured half an hour of pulling and tugging he is now looking suicidal :angry: I will not let it go so long between tortures for him again, why does his undercoat have to be so soft, it goes to felt in no time at all :huh:

All the rest like being brushed, it's just wimpo that hates it. He has a bald belly and inner thighs (must be the greyhound in him) and he has the softest coat of the litter, the rest are more hardy types. Any hints on keeping his coat in order, how often do you have to groom yours?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #17999 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
Murphy is the same, he lies very tight on the floor, so ends up only half done. He is fine with the head and neck area, as soon as we start going towards the back he fidgets. Just do it a bit more often maybe? Tie him to something and just persevere. If he doesn't like it, he never will, but it has to be done. Or you bcould get someone distract him at the front end with treas.
Better go and sort out my oiky looking fella too!

More
8 years 10 months ago #18000 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
Ben's the same as well, a real whimp when it comes to grooming. He's usually ok doing his sides and rear end but hates me messing with his neck and face. He can get quite grumpy and has to be asked nicely.

However he's fine with a brush, it's the comb he hates on his face/neck. Unfortunately you have to tug a bit to remove the matted hair from the undercoat.

I also left his face too long and now he's matted on one side of his cheeks. he won't let me comb it out so I may need to resort to the scissors on that spot.

I think "little and often" is probably the best way. I also try to unmat the worst bits with my fingers by gently pulling the matted hairs apart until the matted bit just combs out easily.

Rob B

More
8 years 10 months ago #18003 by farnorth
farnorth replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
Our oldest hound blue will stand all day to get groomed but brodie runs and hides under the table and you have to put her collar on and hold her as she really hates grooming

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #18004 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
Murray and Carys both loved being brushed - I tell them 'you are both looking a bit ropey so it's time for a brush and they will both stand and wait to be brushed :)

More
8 years 10 months ago #18022 by Vikingxc
Vikingxc replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
My lurchers Tiggy and Max love to be brushed Loki on the other hand will only take so much before wandering off. We have had him clipped twice im not sure if anyone else does this or not though.I think the key is to start off with a small amount of brushing each time and gradually increase.Best brush we have found has long spiny prongs and a backing of normal nylon brushes seems to do the job pretty well.

Hope that helps

More
8 years 10 months ago #18028 by Nat
Nat replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
I run a brush over my three nearly every night, just before they get their dinner, so they associate grooming with good things! Regular grooming also helps distribute the oils though the coat and remove excess undercoat. I have never had any mats.

I use a pin brush for humans. It has steel pins with plastic balls on the end of each pin. The pins are embedded in a cushion. It is very soft on them. They are only a few dollars from the supermarket.

Glascu Deerhounds

• feldandjack
  • feldandjack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #18032 by feldandjack
feldandjack replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
Thanks for the replies. I use a Mason and Pearson brush as it seems to get the best results with least resistance from Bryn. As for distracting him, I try and stand his mother at his head end, any grumping from Bryn results in a gentle ish face chewing from mum and he tends to just 'put up' with the torture.

More
8 years 10 months ago #18053 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
I do a weekly dog 'maintenance schedule' which includes coat, teeth and nails.

I'm by no way an expert in grooming. There are others a lot more experienced than me on the site. But my system is for dogs who don't stand still too well I always tie them up using a flat collar and short lead which leaves both my hands free to tackle the tugs without pulling on their skin so much.

I use a comb with rotating teeth which I think reduces the tugging on the skin - though I'm maybe just falling for the sales pitch! For dogs who are quite matted I don't work on one area still it's done but move around the dog, as I think that's easier on them, coming back to tricky areas a number of times. And as has been said already little and often is better for me than tackling everything in one go. Also use of scissors if you really can't get the tugs out. But these later pojts are more for the really matted rescue dogs that have come into to Mum's rather than the deerhounds.

Just a final thought bit for the sensitive skin a diet change /supplement might help with that. Again though I'm not an expert here either I'm afraid. All the best Elise

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #18054 by sumac
sumac replied the topic: Re:Taming the rug
Most mornings as I get up, Boris loiters in front of me until I reach for 'his' pin head brush and start brushing around his head. Sometimes he stands there as I reach along and down him with the brush but more often he jumps on my recently vacated bed.

As he then lays flat out,blatantly waiting, I usually just do the side facing up. :)

When I am working on his chest to hips area, I tend to gently run my free hand down behind the brush.

The back legs are brushed/stroked in small areas....especially at the less fragrant knee area.......If he cocked his leg properly, he might miss himself more :huh:
Are other deerhound boys as 'lazy'?

I am very gentle down his legs as I think they are more boney than hairy.

Su
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by sumac.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds