Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Car ramp for deerhounds?

Car ramp for deerhounds? 1 week 3 days ago #43667

Henry is finding it more and more difficult to climb into the back of our car. Its a Honda CRV so the boot is pretty high off the ground.
Henry has now got arthritis in his hips and spine so does not like to jump anymore. Now he scrambles / climbs into the boot rather than jumps. Its a bit of an effort and seems to be getting more difficult with time.

I've heard of car ramps for dogs but wondered if anyone has tried this with their deerhound - or has any recommendations? As our Honda CRV boot is so high (its about 65cm or 2 foot 2 inches high) I wonder whether a ramp may still be a bit steep and difficult - and also quite a lot of ramps I've looked at are rather slim and I would worry about him falling off. (seem to be designed for much smaller dogs)

Its not as if we use the car a great deal but it is good for getting to the vets, or going on holiday; and also going out to social events or sometimes just a change of scene for a walk, which I think is so good for Henry as it adds interest and variety to his life.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Car ramp for deerhounds? 1 week 3 days ago #43668

Hi and good to hear Henry is still with you. We bought a super ramp. But Freya would not use it unless she was pretty much pushed or dragged up! We gave it to a friend whose old labs loved it. We changed from the X Trail to an older Volvo and she hopped up quite happily!
Hope you find a suitable one. I think Freya would neither jump into the X Trail nor use the ramp because she worried about hitting her head!
  • crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 259
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds