Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Cystine stones

Cystine stones 10 months 3 days ago #43476

Has anyone had a deerhound diagnosed with cystine stones, my 5 year old boy Hamish has just gone through emergency surgery to remove some, he has been put on a low protein diet and is hating the food (dry royal canin purine).Any help or advice re diet etc would be great.Thanks.
  • Mumtohamish
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cystine stones 9 months 4 weeks ago #43481

Hello Mumtohamish

I had never heard of cystine stones so I had a look on google for "cystine stones diet for dogs" It turned up lots and lots of stuff but what most of them say is it is advisable to make the urine alkaline and dilute. Dilute being achieved by encouraging the dog to drink lots. Some of them do not recommend dry foods but they do all say low protein.

It is a case of doing lots of research I think but also question advice that you are given. If Hamish will not eat the food recommended ask the vet about including some vegetable matter mixed in with it. He may find that a bit more to his taste.

Good luck and I hope Hamish soon feels better.
  • WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mumtohamish

Cystine stones 9 months 4 weeks ago #43483

Hi WendyS, Thanks for taking the trouble to look at this for me, it seems that Hamish has managed to have the rarest type of stones and he's also the pickiest eater, we have got wet Hills UD at £2.70 a tin and tried mixing this with the Royal Canin low purine but I think I need to investigate home made recipes, we are back at the vets on the 2nd so will double check then.Thanks again.
  • Mumtohamish
  • Puppy Boarder

Cystine stones 9 months 4 weeks ago #43485

Hi, our terrier has oxalate stones. He has had two ops to remove them in the past. He was on the Royal Canin urinary SO diet but then got pancreatitis which needed a different RC diet! We kind of mix both and touch wood he is OK onboth. He wasn't impressed by the diet either but we switched to the dried version which we soak in hot water and added some boiled rice and he was ok. If the dog is hungry he will eat it! Our wee. Hap has just got used to it and now and again he gets a treat of a wee. It of chicken and rice.
Hope your Hamish will be fine.
  • crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 259
Last Edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by crackadog. Reason: Sp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mumtohamish

Cystine stones 9 months 3 weeks ago #43493

Hi crackadog thank you ,he will eat the hills wet food (preferably by hand)!! I have bought him some cottage cheese which he likes but as you say if he's hungry he 'll eat.
  • Mumtohamish
  • Puppy Boarder
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds