Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Pungent sickly sweet urine smell

Pungent sickly sweet urine smell 1 year 1 month ago #43371

Hi all,

Merlin, my 7yr old nutured male Deerhound, has over the last week or so developed a strong smell around him. It seems to be a pungent sickly sweet smell caused by his urine.

We wash him regularly and cut out any matted hair from his groin area, but can't seem to rid him of the pong.

His diet hasn't changed and everything else is as was. He eats quality meat in a sachet mixed with rice, green veg (cooked), carrots (cooked), and sometimes tinned sardines in sunflower oil, with the occasional top up of quality kibble. He drinks tons of water and pee's ok. His urine is normal.

Any one experienced similar or have any suggestions as to what's causing it?

Many thanks
Chris
  • ckitch
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pungent sickly sweet urine smell 1 year 1 month ago #43372

Hi. The symptoms you describe sounds like an infection of the urinary tract.
Such an infection can have many causes, a Dr. Vet. should see to this.

Cutting the groin hair will not help, it is my experience that the filthy hair at the penis tip actually prevents dirt from getting inside.

If there is an infection, it can have many causes. Sometimes this just happen, and never reoccur oonce it has been treated. If it comes again, crystals in the urine may be a reason, there are different kinds of crystals, indicationd fifferent issues, the vet would be able to advise you on that.

When you visit the Vet, bring a very fresh urine sample, no more that half an hour old.
  • KimC
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.968 seconds