Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43342

I have recently acquired a deerhound lurcher puppy 13 weeks old. When I took her to the vet for vaccinations I was asked what I was feeding her. I said I was feeding raw, the same as I feed my other dogs. The vet told me I should be adding some dried food to make sure she's getting sufficient calcium because she's considered a large dog. Is the vet right because I'm not convinced? I could add a bit of ground up cuttlefish bone or eggshell for extra calcium rather than dry. What are your experiences of feeding raw to large breed puppies?
Thanks
  • jamesc94
  • Puppy Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43348

Probably not what you want to hear: the Vet has trained for at least 5 years and has had experience for quite some time. They have done courses to keep updated. 'a bit of ground up cuttlefish bone' is not really a properly thought out diet for a growing puppy. Problems can arise from too much calcium or too little. Feed your pup a properly formulated puppy food which has been researched, tested, and found to be effective for optimum nutrition.
  • Bodhranlady
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 132

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43349

Thank you for your response.
You seem to be assuming that she is getting no calcium other than cuttlebone (which she has not had any of it was only a suggestion on my part). Probably my fault for not making myself clear. She is being fed on what I consider to be a balanced diet of about 10% offal, 15% bone and the rest muscle meat. The reason I said 'extra calcium' as opposed to 'for calcium' is that she is in fact getting calcium from bone (mostly chicken bone).
From my research (which could be wrong) I gather that vets do not spend 5 years studying canine nutrition but in fact only receive a few lectures sponsored by pet food companies.
My apologies if I come across as rude, I just don't want you to think I haven't done my research.
  • jamesc94
  • Puppy Boarder

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43350

Agreed. Vets and veterinary nurses receive limited training on nutrition, which is delivered by representatives of the major dog food manufacturers. It's therefore unsuprising that most of them are wary of raw food diets.
If your other dogs are doing well on raw food and your puppy isn't showing any signs of calcium deficiency, stick to the raw food you are giving. If you want to give a bit more calcium, or just because most dogs seem to really enjoy them, chuck a chicken carcass in every now and then. We've not tried cuttlefish, but ours do have egg shells sometimes.
Whatever you do, don't mix raw food and commercially prepared dried food. they are digested at different rates and can cause nasty tummy issues. I have read that mixing the two can possibly induce bloat, however I've not seen any proof or documented evidence of that.
Our vet was not initialled thrilled at us raw feeding our gang, but she respects the research we have done and the decision we made. The evidence of our fit, healthy dogs with good teeth (even the oldies) is now good enough for her.
However, as with everything in life, it's a matter of personal opinion. We've tried high end, best quality dried food and we
used it for many years. Due to issues with our puppy nine years ago, we moved to raw and our dogs do well on it. I appreciate it isn't for everyone.
Good luck.
  • Spring
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43352

Thank you Spring,
All the dogs are doing well on the diet I am feeding them and I will continue to feed this way unless a problem occurs.
All the best
  • jamesc94
  • Puppy Boarder

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43354

I am feeding my dogs and puppies on raw, but I give them until 30% of bones.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamesc94

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 2 months ago #43358

I have grown several pups on raw. All of the breeders fed a mix of raw and dry so that which ever the new owners decided upon it wouldn't be shock to the system.
Soon as I got them home , I have weaned them off the kibble asap. The raw food provider I use , mixes a certain amount of bone into the mince. (can't remember the exact %). I think it probably the same
for all of them.

I also started them on chicken wings as soon as they could chew them and They are also quite partial to cheese ! Never had any problems with too much or too little calcium.
Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing !
  • CiCoch
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 1 year 1 month ago #43369

I'm another raw feeder for the most part. (I feed a small amount of a good quality, meaty commercial food,just in case I run out of raw or want to go hiking/camping for a few days and can't get raw).
Raw keeps mine fit and healthy with strong white teeth and works out quite economical too. I feed pig and lamb hearts (one Euro each), ox heart (4Euros each), chicken necks (5 Euros per 10 kilo box}, lamb ribcages (free), fish trimmings (free), pet mince (3 euros per 1.5 kilo bag), and rabbit, hare and occasional trimmings of other game (free of course).
For pups I pulverise chicken necks with a blacksmith hammer on my anvil. They get plenty of calcium and phosphorus in the exact proportions they need them that way.
  • Hilly
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 10 months 4 weeks ago #43442

Hi

I have a 8 month old deerhound which I've fed on raw from day 1 and he loves it and he looks great. The only problem is relatively soft poo. Is there anything I can add to his diet to remedy this?
  • hadyn68
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 10 months 4 weeks ago #43443

You can give him more bones.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 10 months 4 weeks ago #43445

As some one has mentioned add more bone to the diet either by giving raw chicken wings,chicken carcass,chicken necks,neck of lamb,,lamb ribs,i also use a mixer to compliment the raw chicken/beef mince to balalance up one of his feeds. Heres a link to a supplier great service etc but theres not mutch meat on the beef/lamb rib bones so I get them from a local butcher and of course just bare in mind by giving raw food the digestion period is a lot longer than a formulated complete.www.theyloveit.co.uk/
  • trevor
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57

Raising deerhound puppies on raw diet 10 months 4 weeks ago #43446

I have also found that adding fur to the diet firms up the poo somewhat. I use rabbit skins chopped up and mixed in with minced meat or sometimes still attached to the whole (or portion of) carcass.
  • jamesc94
  • Puppy Boarder
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds