Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Limp and seizures! Help please!

Limp and seizures! Help please! 2 years 1 week ago #43059

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone could help?

I have a Deerhound who is 8 on boxing day.

For the past 4 months he has had a limp in his rear left leg. It started off only happening after long walks. So we went to the vet and she said it was most likely arthritis starting and gave us some pain killers. He's been on glucosamine supplements since birth. About 2 months ago he had his 1st seizure and the limp became permanent, it's always there regardless of length of walk. We went to the vet again. She didn't really say any more about the limp but gave us some Diazpam to give to him after a seizure. She couldn't give an explaination for the seizure and ruled out epilesy due to his age.

We then went nearly 2 months without another seizure so we thought it was a one off, but then about 2 weeks ago we came home to torn carpet in 2 places about the same length of him so reckon he had one whilst we were out. He was also unusually erratic and clingy when we walked through the door. We didn't go to the vet that time.

This brings us to yesterday. He had another seizure at around 4pm, and I saw it start. It started with him having no control over his bad leg, it kept jerking about and he was trying to get to it with his nose. It then turned in to a full seizure. He then had another at 3am this morning, which was his longest yet (about a minute), he also lost control of his bowls and seemd to lose use of his back legs afterwards as he struggled to stand.

In the past, whenever he has had a sore paw or itch on his leg he gets a spasm in it for a few seconds or so. I reckon this is what is happening with his sore leg and it is triggering a seizure.

Does anyone have any advice? I have made an appointment for the vets for tomorrow, I think he should have an mri scan to see what is going on with that leg.

Thanks for reading.
  • Big Alfie
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Limp and seizures! Help please! 2 years 3 days ago #43062

It is my experience that dog massage therapists who really care about what they do can manage more than a Vet. Vets are quite fast to hand out for the medicine cupboard, without caring too much about what actually causes the problem.

With dogs like deerhounds Youve got to make your homework before you go to a Vet because they may not know the special issues about this breed. I have found that Vets perform much better if they feel that their customer comes prepared.
  • KimC
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314

Limp and seizures! Help please! 2 years 2 days ago #43064

I thought you couldn't develop epilepsy later in life, until I had a seizure at 46 and was told that it can come on at any time. Thankfully mine was non epileptic, but I can't see a link between a limp and a seizure and surely after 3-4 he would need a diagnosis and medication. I hope he gets over this, its not nice for any of you.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Limp and seizures! Help please! 2 years 16 hours ago #43065

Are you completely satisfied that your vets have done everything they can to rule out any other cause other than arthritis for the limp? If not I would be insisting that they do thorough checks to ensure its not caused by anything sinister like bone cancer.

If the vets are certain that it is arthritis then I would thoroughly recommend you try YUMOVE supplements (available online). This did wonders for my lab x staffie who limped constantly when I first got him from a rescue aged 7. He never limped again after I put him on it. Likewise my mother uses it for her terrier who now has a new lease of life - previously reluctant to go on walks; now its like she's a youngster again. And so many other people have told me similar results. Doesn't work for every case though but if not - worth trying another type of supplement until you find what works.

From your description it doesn't sound like arthritis though

Limp and seizures! Help please! 2 years 26 minutes ago #43067

BA I sent you PM a while back,atb.
  • trevor
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57

Limp and seizures! Help please! 1 year 10 months ago #43123

Hi, apologies for not coming back to this thread! I'm new to forums and lost my password and couldn't figure out how to sort it :/ Anyway, sorted now!

Thank you for the advice.
Craters I'll take a look at yumove, thank you.

Thankfully Alfie hasn't had anymore seizures since last time I was on here. The vet prescribed some diazepam for if he does.

He's still limping though, and it's only after being out for a walk. It doesn't matter whether it's just a lead walk round the block, to running like mad on the beach. He never has the limp whem waking, but always end up with it after walking. If he doesn't go out then he doesn't limp that day.

We're off to the vet again tomorrow. I've insisted on an xray as I'm convinced there's something going on. Nervous about him going under though :(
  • Big Alfie
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds