Insurance?

• mushroommagee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #38237 by mushroommagee
Insurance? was created by mushroommagee
Hello,

We're hoping to get a Deerhound puppy soon :) I'm just looking into pet insurance for it- I just wondered if anyone could tell me roughly how much I can expect to pay for a decent policy, and who good (or not) companies are? I will be going for a lifetime policy. A quick quote has got me either £12 per month with a max of £2000 per condition per year, or £21 per month for £3500 per condition per year plus other benefits including loss / death.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #38238 by Spring
Replied by Spring on topic Re: Insurance?
If something does go wrong, and obviously I sincerely hope it doesn't, £3500 doesn't get you very much vet treatment. As someone on here said recently, you tend to get what you pay for in pet insurance and our experiences certainly agree with that.
After a previous bad incident with a cheap(ish) and cheerful policy, we insured our deerhounds with PetPlan on a lifetime policy. Initially it was unlimited claims, but a couple of years ago changed to £12K per year. That's now costing just under £90 a month - more than double the cost of when we took it out 6 years ago. It's a hideous amount of money each month, but it has definitely paid for itself and I've never had to stop treatment of my dog purely because of spiralling costs.
Our youngest dog is insured with the Kennel Club and that's probably worth a look. You can play about with the policy, just get the bits you want, vary the top amount, vary the excess, choose to pay a % of the total bill etc, etc. Ours is lifetime, £10K a year and is costing about £30 a month. I've not yet (touch wood) had to claim from them so I don't know what they're like at paying out, but I've been through the policy with a fine tooth comb and it looks good.
Sorry to go on - pet insurance is a bit of a soap box of mine!
Sue
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise, mushroommagee

More
8 years 5 months ago #38302 by sarah b
Replied by sarah b on topic Re: Insurance?
I was with the Kennel Club, but they doubled my premium this year, for my Jake, a 2 year old boy with no previous claims, to £70 as i recall. I shopped around and went with the Co-Op, who offered a similar level of cover for around £35 per month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mushroommagee

More
8 years 5 months ago #38305 by Spring
Replied by Spring on topic Re: Insurance?
Maximum claim per year is only £5,000 with Co-op.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise, mushroommagee

• mushroommagee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #38306 by mushroommagee
Replied by mushroommagee on topic Re: Insurance?
Thanks for the replies. I will have to look into this in more detail, I'll ask the breeder who they recommend too. I'd love not to insure but I feel I will have to as the chance of incurring a massive vet bill scares me! I have my Maine Coone cat insured too- not claimed once in 4 years but I guess it's peace of mind that you are paying for.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds