• Lurch8252
  • Lurch8252's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38072 by Lurch8252
Ruptured Growth was created by Lurch8252
Hi everyone

My 7.5 male Deerhound has had a lump on his back for the last 12-18 months. It wasn't fast growing and I have had it checked out twice, the vets weren't unduly worried about it. However, over the last month or so, it has grown to what can only be described as looking like a testicle. On Saturday, it started weeping and by yesterday it ruptured and is now bleeding profusely.
Another trip to the vets this afternoon and he is now booked in for surgury tomorrow morning to remove it. They have asked me if I want anything tested for nasties and I have declined.
Have any of you had anything like this? He is currently wrapped in a towel, with bandages holding it in place and a t shirt on top!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #38074 by Jacobite
Replied by Jacobite on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Pam

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

More
8 years 6 months ago #38075 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Healing thoughts :) xxx

Wigster n San x

More
8 years 6 months ago #38076 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
A previous ddog did but it was just a cyst and nothing nasty thank goodness. Hope all has gone well with the surgery and he s as lucky as ours.

• Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38077 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
He is back home, sleeping off the effects of his operation. It is a big cut, about 2" long. Bearing in mind he is supposed to have degenerative disc disease, I am now thinking that he has been misdiagnosed and that this tumour on his spinal cord has played a major part. I may be wrong, but can't help fearing the worst. I was offered a histology on the growth, but declined as he is 7.5 and research has proven that dogs with spinal cancer do not live much past 4 months, even with chemo and radiotherapy. He enjoys his life, loves his walks and his food and whilst he continues down that path I will forget all about that horrible C word.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Brodie, Joerg Yoki

More
8 years 6 months ago #38080 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
I agree with you. If he has to endure been happy, enjoying walks, eating well & is forced to sleep when not engaged in any of these other activities, B) I would let it continue. :) Hope he heals quickly - Love Wigster n the Lodhainn pack xx

Wigster n San x

More
8 years 6 months ago #38081 by Clunie
Replied by Clunie on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Hi Lurch

So sorry to hear about your dog and am glad that the operation to remove the lump has gone well. I think that you have done the right thing in not going for the histology. A hard decision I appreciate but the correct one for you. I hope that all works out well and healing is quick.
good luck and take care Vicky x

More
8 years 6 months ago #38082 by Robb
Replied by Robb on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
I agree that you've made the right decision bearing in mind his age. Hope there's nothing nasty lurking and wishing Murphy quick recovery. x

Rob B

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #38085 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Wishing Muyrphy the speediest of recovery and healing and the very best of times!!!

More
8 years 6 months ago #38089 by Elise

More
8 years 6 months ago #38090 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Sorry to read this,Lurch8252.
We hope the best for your Murphy.

We had a Standard Poodle from Spain. Evita lived circa 4 years with similar problems.
Evita died then with circa 10 years.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
8 years 6 months ago #38092 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Glad he is home again and hope he continues on his happy way. Best wishes for his recovery

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38100 by Trowsahound
Replied by Trowsahound on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
I have no experience of the spinal cancer you mention - but as far as lumps go several deerhounds of mine have been covered in them! I was always told they were 'probably harmless' which indeed was the case. Once on one of my hounds- one ruptured, and the vet removed it and had it examined - it was harmless and we just had the usual problems of the wound healing. So I wouldn't worry about the lumps in themselves. I'm surprised that more people haven't responded about benign lumps because I thought they were quite common?! But maybe I have had more than the average number of lumpy hounds!! Wishing you and your hound luck and good health...

• Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38105 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: Ruptured Growth
Thank you everyone. Murphy continues to improve and has been out on lead walks. He wants to play and has also been caught with his head in the bin, so I know he is getting back to his usual self. When I say lump, this resembled a black testicle (pardon the pun) it had veins in it and was a purply black colour, though looking at a picture I took in March, it resembled a grape, so didn't realise how big it had got in such a short time. On the admission form it said removal of mass from back and on the discharge form it said removal of mass from spine. I never got to speak with the vet who operated last week, but will get to see her on the 1st October when he has his stitches out. I opted not to have it tested, but will ask her opinion when we go back.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds