castration and incontinence!!!!!

• jockanddougal
  • jockanddougal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #37971 by jockanddougal
castration and incontinence!!!!! was created by jockanddougal
Hi every one, I know its been way too long since Iv been on and posted anything, sorry, been a busy lass!!!!

Anyhoo Im posting cause Jock my nearly 8yr old was castrated 11 days ago due to prostate probs, poor lamb! He now has real probs passing urine, the flow is poor,he thinks he's finished, goes to walk off and is still dribbling, dont think he is voiding properly and this morning he peed his bed!

He didnt have these issues before the op, could they have mucked up?

Have mentioned this to vet at his check up apt and she doesnt seem concerned but Im worried. Is this normal or not?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #37973 by Ironstone
Replied by Ironstone on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
Nice to see you back as you were always good fun on the forum! Poor Jock. Bad enough he has been castrated but incontinence too - something is wrong. You say the procedure was 11 days ago. Your vet should be concerned and more to the point she should be doing something about it. Please do let us know how Jock makes out, poor lad.
Shelley

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
8 years 7 months ago #37974 by Lieve
Replied by Lieve on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
I hear it offten that dogs are incontinent after castration.
Why did they castrated him, has he have prostate problems?

• jockanddougal
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #37976 by jockanddougal
Replied by jockanddougal on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
Hi folks thanks for the input!

To answer the question, yes jock had big probs with his prostate that had knock on effects with bowels and bladder. He would try to move his bowels, first one no bother but then as he carried on his stools would get softer, he would be pumpin his tail up and down like mad but seemed to me he always had the sensation of needin to go more, therefore would pump tail, very vicious circle. He would pee, no probs, good flow but always had a squeeze and squirt at the end, no dribbles tho! Then he developed blood in his urine, time to see vet pronto!

Vet did assessment, digit up bum, poor jock (they do seem to prefer his bum to his face these last few visits!!! I'm sure he's getting a complex!) said prostate very enlarged but smooth, good sign, as lumpy wound indicate Ca. Blood due to glands pressing on urethra + bladder, irritating it. So castration, antibiotics, anti inflammatories and painkillers prescribed!

Im paraphrasing the vet, there was a lot more jargon!

So upshot, bowels and tail pumping much improved, blood in urine - no more but still dribbling, poor flow!

Must admit that after op, not mush advice given ie what to expect. I thought they took everything away, but NO just the balls + tubes, not the sac! I nearly fell away when I saw his rear end, the sac hanging there like empty elbow skin - no wonder jock has a complex!!! Day 3, I thought they had grown back, the swelling was just not right. So another trip to vet, another fumble at the rear. A collection of blood in the sac, normal seemingly, and should resolve. It has now resolved and the saggy sac is back, but it would have been nice to know so I could have been prepared!

Sorry for the rambling guys, thanks for help and dont laff too much at my poor boys saggy bits!!!

More
8 years 7 months ago #37977 by Lieve
Replied by Lieve on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
I hope he will get better.

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #37979 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
Sacks never get removed as far as I know- they will/should recede in due time on their own. Did they by any chance also take a uirne sample- to rule out cystinuria or some other kinds of stones?
Hope he will soon be fully recovered and happy and healthy again!

More
8 years 7 months ago #37980 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
My 8yr old had the sack removed when he was castrated due to prostate problems. Vet said leaving loose skin hanging in that area could be problematic and prone to infection, tearing etc.

By the way mine pees and then walks on whilst still dribbling - needs plenty of inner thigh washing espescially in windy weather! He is not incontinent though.

More
8 years 7 months ago #37999 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
I am so glad I logged on tonight, haven't been on much myself, like yourself, but I am experiencing similiar with my 7.5 year old Deerhound. He has been having problems poohing for some time now, it got so bad that he would wake us several times a night asking to go out (not good when you have to be up for work) but thankfully h easks and doesn't just do it! Anyhow, he has Degenerative Disc Disease and I have been told that eventually it will travel down his spine and effect his back legs and bowels, so assumed this was it. When we go out he spends more time 'pumping his tail' as you put it than he does excercising, producing a small amount of mush, 10 pence size. Apart from that he is fine, he does dribble his wee if his hair around his willy is long, I tend to shave him around that area to stop that. I am now wondering if this is prostate problems. He has the vets this week for his annual booster, so will mention it to them. Weve tried many things, slight diet changes and then he stops for a few weeks then it starts back up again. He is not in pain, even with his DDD. He also has a large cyst on his back, he has been to the vets about this and he said it is nothing to worry about and it would grow back if removed , and I am pretty sure if it was anything sinister we would have known about it. He eats like a horse and is of heavy bone and has not lost weight.

• jockanddougal
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #38000 by jockanddougal
Replied by jockanddougal on topic Re: castration and incontinence!!!!!
Hi guys hope you all well! Wot a difference a week makes! Took jock + Dougal out a Big walk on sunday, longest he's managed in a while. He peed and poohed his heart out, ended up makin the moves to pee but doing nothing! Must have peed himself dry! Anyhoo come monday morning he managed to do a normal pee, he cocked his leg like big boy and had good flow! :woohoo: Perhaps the issue was internal postop swelling that was taking a while to subside. Have to hand in a pee sample on friday to blood has cleared. No more incontinence thank goodness!
Will let you all know the pee results.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds