× Canine health related discussions

Deerhounds and heat-any thing to be worried about?

• buttershy
  • buttershy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37672 by buttershy
Hey all, just wondering if any of you seasoned deerhound experts can share some breed-specific information about DH's and heat/hot weather. Those of you in the UK will know we are in the middle of a very warm weather spell. I'm not sure how well Jack our 2 1/2 yr old DH is coping though.

As we live in a old house and I'm home during the day this week we've had the windows open and the house keeps nice and cool, obviously I have been avoiding walking him in the heat of the day and have walked him instead when it is cooling down between 7-8pm, however he is panting and drooling heavily throughout the walk, even when on the lead and not 'excerting'. When let off the lead he is still eagre to run but when slowing down to a walk will often lie down on the grass (presumably because it is cool? or is he tired?) which we have NEVER known him do before he is usually so intense and alert throughout a walk. He lags when back on the lead walking home, panting heavily. Then when we are home he takes up to 2 hours to stop panting heavily, despite having cool fresh water and access to the whole downstairs and garden so he can pick a cool doggy friendly spot to lie down, he paces alot and seems really unsettled. Then when he finally relaxes he is so inactive and relaxed, lying in the same spot for hours-like a different dog. He has been like this in the day too, just so quiet and inactive, he is off his food a little bit (but this may in part be that he just spent a week with my OH's parents who feed him a delicious diet of fresh meat and various bones that unfortunately we can't afford every day). Even yesterday when my brother and his partner came over he was so disinterested and well behaved-this is lovely of course as he's usually a nightmare with visitors but its so out of character!

Just want some reassurance that this is just the effects of heat, panting to keep cool and tiredness? hopefully this is all normal DH behavior.

Sophie

dh:) ||Sophie and Jack the 2yr old DH|| dh:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #37674 by verenav
It sounds a bit extreme to me, though deerhounds and heat usually do not go well together(unless it is the woodstove/fireplace in winter...).I would take his temperature just to make sure he does not have a fever and rule out an infection of some sorts- fever will make them listless(regular temps should be not too much above 38C, 39C and higher is too high for s sighthound) . Where I live we usually have very hot summers, weeks with around 35-38C degrees, no fun ..I walk at 5am then and at 8pm- send them in the water regulary ( soaking them to the skin is great in cooling a hot dog down) and, I do add electrolytes to their drinking water when it is that hot - I get them from Australia, especially formulated for racing Greyhounds and quite affordable, despite shipping. There are also cooling blankets on the market - agility people use them- and, just a cool, wet towel draped over him should help cool him down.

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37676 by buttershy
Thanks for the quick reply. I think it seems a bit extreme too but glad to hear generally its normal for DH's not to do well in the heat. I walked him about an hour ago as it had clouded over and cooled down a bit and he was a bit strange on that walk too, he normally pulls alot on the way to the park and he didnt at all today, I've also noticed over the last week he isnt cocking his leg when he wees but is doing a half squat and peeing (and obviously gettting alot on his underside meaning I need to wash him after each walk) one more thing, he used to be a persistant winer and in the last week or so this has really minimised too..is this all linked? my partner thinks it might be that he has just left puppyhood and is showing more older DH traits? I don't have a thermometre to check his temp :( think I am just going to have to wait a few more days and then book in with vets. We are due a storm tonight so will see tomorrow when the weather breaks if he's any different when its cooler.

x

More
8 years 10 months ago #37677 by Sid
Are you sure he hasn't got a problem resulting from the change in diet when he was with your parents? I'm specifically thinking about the bones he's been eating. I'd consider a visit to the vet sooner rather than later, just to rule out a blockage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37678 by buttershy
Hi Sid, thanks that is deffintly something to think about, he had a bone (serrano ham) several times with seans parents, the last one was on the 27th. He is producing normal poos though? (although yesterday he did eat grass a few times but no sick..)

More
8 years 10 months ago #37679 by Sid
Serrano ham, eh? Lucky boy! It's good that his bowels are ticking over, but I still wouldn't rule it out - his behaviour's not normal, especially for a young dog.

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37680 by buttershy
That is reassuring, thanks. Ok will try and get an appt tomorrow.

I know he is spoilt rotten with them, I wish we could feed him like that all the time! We are so greatful to have such good (free!) kennel services at our disposal! Also noticed that the serrano ham bones have been absolutely amazing for his teeth, they weren't bad before but they look like he's been for a scale and polish now!

x

More
8 years 10 months ago #37683 by WendyS
Sophie
I hope Jack soon feels better, it is very worrying when they are not well. I would get him to the vets asap as he really sounds to be poorly. My hounds do not like the heat but they just sleep through it.
You say he has had a week of eating a different richer diet at your parents in law. Even if it turns out that the change in diet doesn't have anything to do with his problem now it is probably a good idea to try to continue with his usual diet when he is away. The odd treat is fine but a total change is not to be recommended.
Give Jack a cuddle from me
Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37684 by buttershy
Hi Wendy, Jack says thanks for the hugs! You're right it is really unsettling when they aren't themselves. Jack is deffintly sleeping more than usual, you say your hounds do this in the heat too? I really hope he is back to himself tomorrow AM as it is about to storm and break here...I don't think he seems 100% and his nose is not cold and wet like usual, perhaps an indicator of a temp? Pooping and peeing as usual, except for the lack of leg cocking, slightly decreased appetite. Good tip about the diet when we are away, he had his usual dry food as his base food with my inlaws but it was deffintly supplemented with richer treats like fresh meat and bones, he would usually only have a spoonful or so of leftovers with us which isn't always meat (rice, veg etc). Perhaps need to find a tactful way of saying less treats when we are away! Will let you know how he is in the AM. fingers crossed! feeling anxious!

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37685 by buttershy
update: just checked nose again-cold and wet? hmmn! :unsure:

More
8 years 10 months ago #37686 by Bodhranlady
The 'cold, wet, nose thing' is a total urban myth. Check it out on Google. A cold, wet, nose is not a sign of health or otherwise. Our elder dog (8ys) has always had a warm, dry nose - is he healthy? yes! This myth probably came from a dog food ad. from years ago. You know your dog, if you think all is not well, get him checked out.
Also, don't let the inlaws give him a different diet - not good.If you can afford only a cheaper food there is nothing wrong with that. Stick with it and take some to them when he goes there. Let them know they should not add 'extras'.

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37687 by buttershy
Knew it wasn't a concrete sign of good health but worried their might be some truth in it as it is usually cold and wet-is back to usual now though- very odd. He is usually on Purina or something similar, it seems to suit him and he is at a good weight-we just can't afford to feed him meat other than scraps and bones are usually treats if we have guests and don't want him to be bored consigned to his bed. Is a nice thought from my in laws though..(we dread to think what they will give our future children!!) thanks for the tips.

More
8 years 10 months ago #37688 by Joerg Yoki
Hello Sophie,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your Jack.

I think the best is, if it is not better today with him, then go please to a vet.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #37690 by verenav
Good luck for him - always so worrysomewhen they are ill. And , a thermometer is a good investment, believe me...- for any dogowner ( and most likely parents.too I'd assume). Nothing wipes them out as quickly as a fever and fever ist to be taken very seriously. I do not think that a change in diet is so dangerous, at least not normally(ok, blockage would be a different thing, but that can come through a lot of different reasons). Working in the animal shelter, all animals that come to us will experience an aprupt and total change of diet and this in a very stressful situation, might cause a few runny or too hard stools, but never disease in the over 3 years I have been there... As for the teeth cleaning effects, couldn't the parents save the bones and put them in the freezer for him? So he can have them more often.If these are cooked/smoked bones I'd only let him eat them under supervision- they can splinter and be quite dangerous.

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #37691 by buttershy
Hi all, pleased to report Jack seems to be back to himself, so I can only conclude he doesn't cope with the heat. He has been back to his alert, whiney self today which has been great :laugh: (I think!) I do think he is being fussy with his food though, he had a few pieces of leftover beef late last night which stirred his appetite and he then finished a full bowl of wet&dry mix he'd ignored earlier(drinking water as normal) he can be like that sometimes if he has been getting better elsewhere. Will be sure to make sure his diet remains more consistent when not with us. We never leave him alone with bones, chews or hides, he is a much more 'chokey' dog than my previous dogs who are better at slowly knoring as opposing to crunching and gulping!

Sophie

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by buttershy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #37692 by crackadog
Our girl always gets lethargic and eats less in the heat - we just walk very early/very late and likewise with the feeding. No Serrano ham for the dogs though! I think they all fancy a bit of variety now and then though and,like you I never leave them alone with anything they might choke on. Glad he's getting back to normal.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by crackadog.

More
8 years 10 months ago #37697 by stussy
Mrs T would grind to a halt in the hot she just used to park herself on the sofa in front of the fan and stay there all day, walking with her was generally done near to midnight on very hot days but she was at least 7 when we got her, so an old girl :)

Glad to hear your lad is feeling better x

• buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 10 months ago #37699 by buttershy
Thanks everyone for your kindness and reassurance, it is such a great resource to have!

I walked Jack at 9pm just as sun was going down, nice and cool here following some rain today, he was back to his usual self, had a great ran and recovered quickly from panting, eaten and drank as normal too today. Glad to know for future heat waves (here's hoping!..) that this is how he'll react.

Sophie

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid, Joerg Yoki

More
8 years 10 months ago #37701 by Joerg Yoki
Good to hear this Sophie.

All the best for you and Jack.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
8 years 10 months ago #37702 by Robb
Glad to hear he's getting back to his usual self! Ben used to hate the heat and laid on the cold tiles in the hall when he got too hot. He'd never go for walks in the heat either and would avoid the direct sunlight at all costs.

Rob B

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds