prostrate problems?

• Trowsahound
  • Trowsahound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 11 months ago #37402 by Trowsahound
prostrate problems? was created by Trowsahound
Has anyone got any experience of prostrate problems in deerhounds? My friend's deerhound has been suffering from urinary type problems, blood in urine etc and has just been told her dog must have an urgent operation today on his prostrate or be put to sleep as he is suffering. The operation will cost around £2000-£3000 and as she is already having financial problems this is horrendous news for her.
If anyone here has any experience of this problem or advice, please let me know so I can pass it on, as I have never had this problem with any of my dogs.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #37403 by chook
Replied by chook on topic Re: prostrate problems?
Is she with a normal vet?

Personally i would get a second opinion from another vets, most prostrate problems can be sorted by neutering
unless its cancer and the prostrate is very enlarged, then they may need to remove it, but the outcome for that can be very poor.

www.webvet.com/main/2008/...e-problems-dogs

www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-.../Treatment.aspx

Jane
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trowsahound

More
8 years 11 months ago #37405 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic Re: prostrate problems?
Our elder dog had prostate (not prostRate - sorry, but as a medical person I find this error irritating :) )problems, bleeding from his penis, blood in urine, discomfort on examination. First of all our vet tried a hormone injection and all was well for a few months. Unfortunately, our boy's testicles then swelled up hugely (think of a large melon between his legs). Have to say this swelling amazingly seemed to cause no discomfort. Anyway, vet suggested castration which solved all the dog's problems and indeed at nearly 8yrs he now behaves like a youngster again. Must have been feeling under par for a while.

Best of all was that the insurance paid for all the treatment from the start (NFU). Insurance does not normally cover castration but because our vet said it was clinically necessary they paid up without a quibble.

BTW, total cost of the whole lot was in the region of £500.00. At 2 to 3 Grand they're having a laugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid, Trowsahound

• Trowsahound
  • Trowsahound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 11 months ago #37406 by Trowsahound
Replied by Trowsahound on topic Re: prostrate problems?
Apparently they have ruled out cancer but say its an abcess on the prostate (oops sorry about spelling mistake, can't spell my own name half the time..) they mentioned having to drain it? I thought £3000 a bit over the top too, I shall get her to check that a simple castration wont do the trick. The irony is that she had him insured until she lost her job recently and then cancelled it, sods law isnt it....

More
8 years 11 months ago #37408 by Ironstone
Replied by Ironstone on topic Re: prostrate problems?
Well Trowsahound I should imagine "prostrate" would be the position your friend woke up from when she heard that daft estimate from her vet! I agree that neutering should sort the problem at a fraction of the cost. When I was having coffee with friends yesterday I learned that one of them had been told by her vet that she must come into his office to hear the results of her dog's tests as he wasn't going to discuss them with her over the phone. :blink: That way he thought he could charge her for yet another office visit, even though the dog wouldn't be present! :S

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
8 years 7 months ago #38018 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: prostrate problems?
Any news on this dog and what the outcome was?

More
8 years 6 months ago #38224 by Arrachogaidh
Replied by Arrachogaidh on topic Re: prostate problems?
dh:) Our boy Artney who just turned six has been showing blood from his penis when the girls are in season. However he started showing blood this week when none of the girls are in season. Quickly off to Vet and he had an ultrasound which shows an enlarged prostate. He is on 7~10 days anti-biotics to catch infections and then he will be neutered.

I'll keep you posted on how we progress.

I also think he has a trapped nerve in his neck causing him to squeal intermittently.

dh:) dh:) dh:)

More
8 years 6 months ago #38229 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: prostate problems?
Oh the dreaded neck! mine had the same neck problems, he has calcification of the discs, we thought neck, however X ray showed this other condition. He had a few weeks of Metacam, then improved, then pain back again, more Metacam, we now keep it in just in case, but to be honest, he hasn't had to have any for months now. He has been showing signs of knuckling over, where his back foot drags on the floor and he has also been leaking a tiny bit of wee, all signs that hsi disease is progressing. He has been in recently for removal of a cyst from his back and I have to say he has been like a puppy again since it went. Lets just hope he continues down this route. He is 7 years old now. As long as he is eating, drinking, enjoying his walks and life then we shall continue to enjoy him.
Good luck with Artney, I hope he is soon back to his usual self.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds