Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia

Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia 6 years 9 months ago #32750

This message was sent to as many Deerhound owners and breeders in Australia as I could contact via email and social networking sites.
We have had an overwhelmingly positive response and are incredibly excited about the future of the Program.
If there are any Deerhound owners or breeders that I have missed, please contact the Program on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I can add you to the email update list.

Good Evening!

We are very proud to be able to announce the initiative of an exciting new health screening program for our Breed.
With the assistance of Veterinary Cardiologist, Dr Richard Woolley, we have begun testing Deerhounds in Australia for all forms of heart disease.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) has been a known problem in our Breed for many years. We are now learning that there may be another form of cardiomyopathy, Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy (ARVC), also known as "Boxer Cardiomyopathy", that may affect Deerhounds. ARVC causes sudden death (heart attack) in an apparently healthy animal at any age.

The good news is that we can start testing our dogs from the age of two years for DCM using colour doppler echocardiography.
We also have Idexx Cardiopet on board, helping us to find a link between DCM, ARVC and the levels of a chemical called pro-BNP that is found in the blood.
There is the thought that elevated levels of pro-BNP could be an indicator of risk of DCM or ARVC, long before any physical symptoms show. Similar studies are being done in the USA. Cardiologists would also like to learn exactly how DCM is inherited.

So what does it mean for us as breeders or owners of Deerhounds?
It means that we can screen each individual dog for DCM. Echocardiography will show changes in the heart long before the dog shows any outward symptoms.
It means that there may be the chance we can predict DCM years before the heart even begins to change, through a simple blood test (proBNP).
It means we may be able to identify dogs at risk of sudden death through heart attack and possibly medicate these dogs to avoid fatal arrhythmia.
It means breeders will be able to make informed decisions about their own breeding program, and it means breeders will be able to advertise to (increasingly educated) puppy buyers that their stock has been tested.

There are 5 important things we would like you to know about the program:
1. The testing is completely voluntary. This Program will NOT become compulsory FOR ANYONE, AT ANY TIME.
2. All results are completely confidential. Only you and Dr Richard Woolley will know the results.
3. The test is painless, simple and does not require an anaesthetic or clipping of coat. Any dog over the age of two years can be tested.
4. The results (figures only - NEVER names) will be collated and made available after a large enough sample has been tested.
5. The Program is not affiliated with the Deerhound Club of Victoria. You do NOT need to be a member of the DCV to have your dog screened and certified.

Testing and the issue of a Cardiac Certificate with a Veterinary Cardiologist usually costs around $400. ProBNP testing usually costs around $100.
Currently, Dr Woolley is offering anyone wishing to participate in the Program, the testing, proBNP and Certification for $180 if you can bring your dog/s along on a day where we can get FOUR or more dogs tested at the same time.

Please contact me if you wish to have your dog/s tested.

We recently held our first testing Clinic and are delighted that we now have a total of 14 Deerhounds tested using echocardiography and proBNP.
I would like to thank Deborah Guthrie (Clachtoll), Chris Howard and Glenda Danger (Bhealaich), Melanie Buckley (Fyrth), Katrina Hillier, Tabitha Ormiston-Smith, Kathy Cresp-Gerrard and Kathy Grass for their support of the Program so far.
We would love for more breeders and owners to join the Program, not only for their own peace of mind, but for the collective future health of the Breed.

I have attached few pictures of our last testing day which, as you will see by the smiling faces, was great fun!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and to also pass this email on to anyone I may have missed.

We are very excited about this Program, which will allow breeders and owners to get their dogs Certified to the same level as Deerhound breeders and owners in the USA and Europe and very importantly ensure that we are pro-active in guarding the future health of our Breed.

Best wishes

Nathalie Francis
Co-Ordinator
Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia
Attachments:
  • Nat
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Glascu Deerhounds
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Nat. Reason: clarity
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teratyke, Elise, verenav, Joerg and Yoki, Aisha

Re: Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia 6 years 8 months ago #33178

YAY Nat!!! congrats again!!!!
im so glad to know we have someone like you who cares sooooooooooo much about the breed to get this sort of thing started!!!!!
you truley are the best nd i LOVE learning from you!!!!!

well done again nd well done to those who HAVE had their dogs tested!!!!!!! :D :D :D
  • Aisha
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 56
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Re: Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia 6 years 7 months ago #33355

This message was email to all on the list this evening. Please let me know if you would like me to add you to the list to receive Cardiac Program updates.
Cheers.

Good Evening!
Due to the overwhelming response to the Cardiac Program, we are aiming to organise another testing day very soon!
We already have the minimum of four dogs required to get the heavily discounted rate (only $180 for full Cardiac Certification INCLUDING pro-BNP blood test, rather than the usual $500), but we would love for more dogs to come along. Once we get a better idea of numbers, we can book in a day with Dr Woolley at Highett. At the moment, we are looking at a date in May, to be confirmed.
We will also run a Testing Day very close to the DCV Championship in October to cater for the fantastic level of interest we have had from interstate breeders and owners (so far, it looks like we have at least eight dogs for this day!!).
I would personally like to make two very important points:
1. The testing is important not only for breeders, but for Deerhound owners (for show, pet and otherwise) too. This will enable Dr Woolley and Idexx Cardiopet to get a MUCH better idea of the incidence and mode of heredity of heart problems in our dogs. The testing also picks up heart problems LONG before they become symptomatic, enabling owners of affected dogs to start medications that will extend the lives of their beloved friends.
2. The results are strictly confidential. The only people that see the results are you and Dr Woolley. Contrary to vicious, unsubstantiated and damaging rumours, I do NOT have access to results, NOR are the results being shared with vets/breeders/anyone overseas. Both of these situations would constitute a breach of the Privacy Act. These rumours do nothing but damage the health of future generations of Deerhounds.
Once again, thank you for your support,
Best wishes,
Nathalie
Co-Ordinator
Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia
  • Nat
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Glascu Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki, Aisha

Re: Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia 6 years 7 months ago #33372

Thanks Nat for your interesting informations.
Add me please to the list.
My e-mail adress is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1397

Re: Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia 6 years 7 months ago #33396

Please also add me to the list - many thanks to you Nat - you are doing a great job !!!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • poppy

Re: Deerhound Cardiac Program Australia 6 years 7 months ago #33402

Thanks Nat for your entry from me in the list.

I have filled today the online forms from the "SDCA Health Survey" .

Regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1397
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.719 seconds