Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Helpful Hints

Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15687

Hi, I've been visting the health part of the site for a while now, most recently visiting the ear problems thread. I had the thought that although there a lot of helpful advice, it's scattered all over the place, so why not start a thread just for useful little bits of advice. Little things that can save you a bit off your vets bill.

One reason for this is that we took Jacob to the vets yesterday, because he had an ear infection last week. We cleared it up by using, alternately, warm olive oil and a recipe I found on the cocker spaniels website, which was half white vinegar, half water, poured in then massaged for a minute. Even though his ears seemed clear, he was still touchy. The vet said he was fine, however. "He's a wuss" were her exact words. That little exam cost 20 quid.

So, back to the original point, how about a thread for helpful little medical hints?

Heres my first two (yes, I did find them somewhere else, but they're still good)

For ears, either half white vinegar, half water (or medical alcohol), poured in until the ears full then massaged for 1 minute. Note, Jake did not like the pouring in part, but the massage was absolute bliss.

Warm olive oil poured in.

Nia
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15705

I used to use the white vineger and water one,
but did switch to green tea, it does the same job
but its not as harsh as the vineger.

If you can get some, medihoney or intrasite gel it is fantastic for wounds,

tissue adhesive is another good thing to keep in,
solong as the wound is clean isnt deep and dosent have air pockets,
then you can use it, a lot of people i know do use just normal super glue
as its cheaper than the tissue adhesive,

anithystamines, is a must to keep in,
it has saved a few dogs lives, especaly if they have a reaction to something.

rebound to help if they have been running round lots,
espacaly if the weathers hot, flat coke can also be used,
it does the same job but is just cheaper, never use diet though.

lectade is good to keep in escpecaly if therey've been ill or are ill,
it does help to keep them hydrated (sp)

Inflamex for swelling and mild pain.

arcnia to help with bruseing and swelling, either tab form or cream.

i also keep in some tye-guard, it helps with cramping and is effective in preventing
Tying up, a lot just use vit E, but i use this as its easer and i wouldnt know how much vit E to give.

theres probably more, but cant think right now,
i do tend to keep a lot of the human dressings in my first aid kit,
as there cheaper and better then the vet dressings.
  • chook
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
Jane

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15707

slippery elm for when they are off thier food or have the runs

stypic pencil to stop bleeding claws
  • houndy

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15711

Ringworm, staph. overgrowth and other sorts of smelly skin: Malaseb shampoo, any canine cemist online, just google.
Hibiscrub for desinfecting, google.
Paedeatric kaolin solution for puppies and adults with wind, runs or parvo/gasro-enteritis, it binds toxins. 5 ml for 4-6 week pup, 20 ml adults, 2@daily, google.
Immodium for runs after a curry or too many bones.
Liquid parafin and a syringe for constipation or sharp thins that need to be vomited back up.
Always a prescription from your vet, they have to write them, for free, by law. Then go online.
Aspirin, NEVER paracetamol.Never human non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, dogs metabolise differently from us, you risk liver damage.
Antihistamines are only effective when given before the event. They block histamine release, but cannot mop up excess in the bloodstream, if in doubt, 24hr steroid jab.
Medicinal charcoal in large doses for gastric upsets, gives lovely black poos. Again, binds bacterial toxins and other metabolites.
  • soggy doggy
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Knowledge shared is seeds sown.

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15712

prescription's - vets now can charge again, it changed last october for the uk at least.

i also wouldnt make a dog sick if its swalowed something sharp,
you could end up with lots of major problems,
if they have swalowed something sharp, bread is better to help bind it and
help it pass through, or better still if you know they have done it,
vets.

you can also give soda crystals to help them be sick as well.
  • chook
  • Limit Boarder
Jane

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15745

Here some more:
Interdigital cysts and nailbed infections: TCP or a weak bleach solution with a baby toothbrush if very sore.
When washing dog beds, add a small squirt of bleach to the wash, kills everything. Remember: Vetbeds don't die, they just go grey....
Smelly blankets, floors, upholstery: Washing soda, Tesco/Asda/Wilkinsons. Very cheap, reaches parts where bleach leaves smells.
To soften leather collars and leads: baby oil on a cloth. Lovely.
Kelp for pigment, garlic for health and blood. Both from a horse place, around £5 a kilo.
Mixed herbs wholesale from Makro or online.
Chewing of rump and around tail base: If no fleas, then anal glands need emptying.Some fascinating symptons with those: Lumps under the skin, mood changes, loose stools, bad breath and probably more.
Eyes: Golden eye ointment will resolve most minor eye problems, at least 3 times a day. Carry on for 3-5 days after symptoms have cleared, eyes take longer than you think. Chloramphenicol drops available from Boots, use in conjunction with ointment, eye must be lubricated. Tell the chemist it's for you, they won't/can't sell it for the dog.
  • soggy doggy
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Knowledge shared is seeds sown.

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15753

Just to say super glue is toxic, tissue glue is not. Your vet can now charge for the prescription. Malaseb shampoo is prescription only.
  • wallace
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 1 month ago #15762

Urinary calculus

May be caused by different causes. One reason is oxalates that create pinsharp needleshaped crystals (see microscope photo below). They hurt the urinary tract and often cause infections.
Once i had a spinone who had that problem. THe Vet just suggested some very expensive diet food, did not know why. i spend several nights with google, and found some explanations.
Oxalates are disintegration rests from purines. Lower the amount of purines in the food, and the amount of oxalate crystals will gradually get less, thus decreasing the chance of further infections in the urinary system.
Some dogs are more sensitive and in risc of building oxalate crystals from purines than others.

So what should dogs that are sensitive to purines avoid? I found this list from the british dalmation club, it giives good hints about what to avoid, and what to prefer.
www.britishdalmatianclub....able%202003.htm

Sensitive dogs should avoid the group high purine content food items, while dogs that are in need to build down should even stay in the low content group.

I furhter read that garlic and hazelnut should actively reak down purines already on the body, but I am in doubt how good they are for dogs, so I used only very small amounts for my dog.

• KimC
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by KimC.

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 3 days ago #16684

Might be usefule to state where you are with these tips e.g. in Australia you can't get golden eye ointment anymore (drat!) but Malaseb is not a prescription product can buy in any petshop (seboylse is better(sp?) though).
  • AtticusRox
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Aust Ch Nelungaloo Sam (Atticus) running free
Anduril Caile
Aust Ch Nelungaloo Rhys (Rhys)
D'Arcy Lurcher.

Re:Helpful Hints 8 years 3 days ago #16685

KimC wrote:
Urinary calculus

May be caused by different causes. One reason is oxalates that create pinsharp needleshaped crystals (see microscope photo below). They hurt the urinary tract and often cause infections.
Once i had a spinone who had that problem. THe Vet just suggested some very expensive diet food, did not know why. i spend several nights with google, and found some explanations.
Oxalates are disintegration rests from purines. Lower the amount of purines in the food, and the amount of oxalate crystals will gradually get less, thus decreasing the chance of further infections in the urinary system.
Some dogs are more sensitive and in risc of building oxalate crystals from purines than others.

So what should dogs that are sensitive to purines avoid? I found this list from the british dalmation club, it giives good hints about what to avoid, and what to prefer.
www.britishdalmatianclub....able%202003.htm

Sensitive dogs should avoid the group high purine content food items, while dogs that are in need to build down should even stay in the low content group.

I furhter read that garlic and hazelnut should actively reak down purines already on the body, but I am in doubt how good they are for dogs, so I used only very small amounts for my dog.

Didnt see this before, but this might be helpfull,
few years ago i went through a lot of problems with my male cat,
he had a realy bad case of struvite crystals, and kept blocking,
after lots of stays in the vets and specalist vets, two ops and
5 grand later, it was sorted, he had to have a sub pubic done,
it means they had to remove his unirytract (sp) and move the whole thing to under his belly,
it did cause lots of stress, the specalist food he was put on, originaly dry we found
it kept causeing more crystals, after lots of reading i did find out,
dry food can be a major factor in the cause of struvite,
since being off the dry food, hes never had a problem,
but whilst i was talking to people, i was recomended this,
shop.robbinspetcare.com/w...ioticphneg.html

They do a PH plus as well, a few people did find it did help,
but like anything else that changes the ph of urine it shouldnt be used long term,
as it can cause the formation of other types of cryatals.
  • chook
  • Limit Boarder
Jane

Re: Helpful Hints 7 years 10 months ago #18425

diluted tea tree oil is anti bacterial, ratio of 10 drops of carrier, (water or oil) to one of tea tree. I use this wonder stuff for all ills , human and canine as well as equine, lavender oil too is very good, and has anti inflammatory properties.I would caution against pouring anything into the ear canal, if an infection has caused a burst ear drum, you are heading for trouble pouring anything liquid in there.
I would caution against using super glue for anything live, as a wound care nurse I have witnessed severe cases of infection caused by super glue!
honey dressings can be used, and manuka honey is wonder stuff.
  • pat olik

Re: Helpful Hints 7 years 10 months ago #18550

Piriteze is great for wasp and bee stings or if your dog has been working heavy cover then great for nettle rash too. One tablet will cure a badly stung dog in minutes.
  • hairybeasty
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds