× More fun than owning a deerhound? Surely not!

The world with deerhound eyes.

• KimC
  • KimC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41075 by KimC
KimC created the topic: The world with deerhound eyes.
I always wanted to see how a dog experiences a walk. And finally found how it could be done. I mounted a small camera on Pentictons head.
Easy now, he had no screws into his skull, the whole thing is kept in place with the elastic ankle part of an old sock

This is our cameraman, the recorder is in his backpack:

First a walk in the forest. Now I also know why he neds a deworming now and then..

Then into town, where we ended up at the Vet's for the anual checkup..

These vids dont really depict the walks as he saw them, because he can aim his eyes at things without need of turning his head, and I have no idea how to make the camera follow that. In the town part you can see on his "whiskers" that he aims his eyes at different things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teratyke, Robb, Brodie, WendyS, crackadog, Joerg Yoki, greycloud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41084 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: The world with deerhound eyes.
I wonder if his head would look up more if he were off lead? Did you have him on a short lead to make sure the camera was safe? Mind you we often say Freya is like a bloodhound as she also goes along nose to the floor. A very interesting idea.

• KimC
  • KimC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41086 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: The world with deerhound eyes.
The camera has not the same vison field as the dog. I amed the camera so much downwards that his nose was at the bottom of the frame, which may only correwspond his view when he is "nosing".
The camra has some leads and the recorder is stored in the backpack, so I'd not let him runn offleash witht he camera on, even if it could be funny to see the result.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41089 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: The world with deerhound eyes.
This is an excellent idea KimC. Come to think of it I sent my boy off to Australia with one of those small tube-shaped all terrain cameras as I thought he would attach it to his helmet/bike/long board and send home entertaining footage of his adventures (mothers do tend to kid themselves in this way). He has been there four years now and I've yet to see a single video. Perhaps I will suggest he bring it home on his next visit and I will attach it to my deerhounds and see what we get. Stay tuned! I think you've started something here KimC!

Ironstone Deerhounds

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds