× More fun than owning a deerhound? Surely not!

life after death.

• KB
  • KB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #40488 by KB
KB created the topic: life after death.
They say no one really dies, that their presence is felt and observed in those that follow them.
As my lovely Grandma became less sensitive of her physicality, we as naughty young scamps, used to see how many things we could get tucked into her hair without her noticing. You know just small things, like twigs and flowers, not chairs or anything.
I think her oblivion lives on in Otto. He has the most magnificent but ultimately ludicrous hair in the morning, which makes me laugh at him and have to take photographs and he looks back with Grandma’s eyes and with the old look of ‘I see you find something amusing but really, all this giggling is hardly appropriate for the dinner table.’
I loved my Grandma and Otto reminds me of that. The silly twit.

I am aware that the anthropomorphizing of animals is down to human daftness rather than real genuine insight but then I was just wondering if my Grandma lives on in all Deerhounds or if Otto is just daft in his very own right?

And yes, that may well be my bed he's pictured just waking up on, but honestly, I don't really need so much room, there's enough left for me to sleep quite comfortably up in the top corner, just north of the pillows with one leg out on the floor.
KB.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by KB. Reason: just tried to see if I could rotate the photos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #40492 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: life after death.
I think it is lovely for you to think that your grandma lives on in Otto and Otto's 'bedhead' is fab! (Laughed at you saying that you used to tuck things in your grandma's hair 'but not chairs')

One of my girls, we call her 'the scourge of society' has fur like this and my grandkids twirl the fur on the top of her head so she ends up with a punk hairstyle :)

I can identify with your comment about the bed. The scourge of society sleeps on my bed and I too end up on the edge of the mattress with legs hanging out while said scourge is splayed out taking up an entire double bed. I was thinking of getting a king size bed but realised that that would be pointless as she would take up even more room so I would be no better off.

Good job we love them :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve, KB

• KB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #40493 by KB
KB replied the topic: life after death.
Hello Greycloud, thank you for writing.
In the morning I take Otto to Kensington Gardens or Hampstead Heath and he makes like a Deerhound but in the evening we wander down to the tiny park on our street. A few of us meet there and like some sort of knitting circle we sit on benches chatting and watching the proper normal dogs play. Otto sits on someone's lap and also watches the funny little small beasts, like he's not one of them and actually wouldn't look out of place with a little crochet on the go. I've often noticed that the lucky chosen one who's lap Otto has sat on, twiddles his fur. It's become the thing to twirl a spike on his head and continue them all the way down his spine, and he thereby becomes known as The Ottosaurus. Then we go to the pub.

I am so please Otto takes such pleasure in humiliation, I couldn't stand a dog with an ego.

xx

More
5 years 3 months ago #40495 by greycloud
Ottosaurus - I love it :laugh:

I used to live in Kensington as I managed a small care home for elderly nuns at the Maria Assumpta center in Kensington square. That was life before Deerhounds but I used to love walking in Kensington gardens so lucky Otto. Hampstead Heath is nice but I found it a bit spooky in places.

How old id Otto?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

• KB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #40496 by KB
Otto is 3 this month!
Hampstead is our favourite.

Here's Otto last year in one of the ponds. He was very non plussed about water after he fell in a pond expecting it to behave like a puddle when he was tiny. It took me a long time to get him in this far and as you can tell he's not keen on splashing, this is an action shot.

I've yet to find it spooky, although a very foolish man flashed at us once and given the size of Otto, I thought he'd taken rather a risk. it made me wish I'd trained Otto not to be quite so friendly.

London brings problems you could never predict with a Deerhound.

How many do you have?
kb
Attachments:

More
5 years 3 months ago #40508 by greycloud
Lovely 'action' shot of Otto. The reason I used to find some parts of the heath spooky was the bushes and copses of trees and some of the paths going through them - other parts were great. If you want real spooky it has to be Highgate cemetry :laugh:

I am lucky enough to have 3 adult deerhounds and a 12 week old puppy - deerhounds are the best breed in the world B)

• KB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #40509 by KB
4! How wonderful. Sadly I think my circumstances would have to change quite considerably before i could take another - the PT Cruiser could no longer be our Ottomobile for one.

I really do think they are the best. In truth, I dont really like dogs, what with all that fuss barking at the postman, wanting their nose in everything, wanting to play all the time, desperate to constantly eat and wagging their silly tails which swipe stuff off coffee tables, but Deerhounds don't seem like dogs at all. When Otto walks into a room the room becomes calm, silent even. He's so delicately behaved, profoundly gentle, I really can't imagine a sweeter soul, and on top of that, heart-meltingly beautiful and graceful to watch.

And then! other dog owners bizarrely ask me how I cope with such a big dog? while their own springs about aggressively yapping?!

I'm amazed how many people think that the effect a dog will have on your life is determined by their size rather than their temperament.
but I'm not surprised that humans confuse assumption for knowledge.
ah well...
more Deerhounds, less people, surely that's the answer.
k.x

More
5 years 3 months ago #40510 by greycloud
I totally agree with you!

What I cant understand is people think they can say to you 'oh, youv'e got your hands full' . Would they go up to someone with 4 kids and say that I wonder.

I can empathise as well with those who say that when they have a yapping aggressive dog or one that is jumping up at you and clawing your legs.

Deerhounds are just 'there' - they dont intrude and are happy to fit in with you and as long as they are with you they are happy. I have never found mine to be any trouble and when I get annoyed at ignorant people's comments I try to focus on all the lovely comments I get from sensible people who appriciate the beauty and grace of this lovely breed.

More
5 years 2 months ago #40522 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: life after death.
I'm not really a dog person. It was when Steph and I got together that she brought a wonderful Border Collie with her called Ozzie, a lovely old boy. When he left us off we trotted to the Dog Trust and Finn (Bonnie Prince Charlie the DT called him) uncurled from his bed barked at us and my life changed forever. I feel blessed that Finn chose us to look after him. It is such a noble breed that attracts so much attention from other people and they are pleasantly surprised at how gentle they are. It is wonderful to come home to be greeted by a huge hairy beastie with a waggy tail. If they are reincarnations they are our Guardian Angels sent to earth to care for us and watch over us

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #40524 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: life after death.
I used to live in Kensington also- while at music college there - and in those days Crufts was still at Olympia and that weekend suffering from dog withdrawal I walked down to the show to get a dog fix. I shall never forget the moment I was up on the balcony and looked down at a distant sea of grey - the most wonderful majestic and elegant looking creatures I had even seen! Assumed I would never be able to have one but fell in love nevertheless. I had to wait at least 15 years before I finally got the chance!
They are indeed 'different' from all other dogs are'nt they?! Mine are so laid back they hardly ever bark or even look up at visitors. I once employed a doggy friend as pet-sitter with her husband and he said to me afterwards ' your dogs are not really like, er...dogs, are they?!!' I knew exactly what he meant! :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds