× More fun than owning a deerhound? Surely not!

Reversing....

• maggiemac
  • maggiemac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 10 months ago #40265 by maggiemac
maggiemac created the topic: Reversing....
Its no secret Aoife is my first deerhound and I freely admit that as a puppy and by comparison to other puppies I've had she hasn't been easy but nobody told me they can reverse! She can back track like no other dog I've ever seen 20ft or more through passages and between furniture ,never turning to check her exit she just does it. What does your deerhound do that makes you smile(besides being utterly adorable).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #40270 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: Reversing....
what a great question. There are so many things Finn does or wont do that make us smile. He is (they are) like no other breed of hound / dog for their intelligence and single mindedness. Our previous dog was a border collie who was just so obedient and hardly ever walked on a lead so to get a deerhound was a big change for us.

The first thing we noticed was how expressive he could be mainly by the use of his ears and those big brown eyes. Finn can you let you know what he is thinking. His little moans and sighs when he is asked to do something he doesn't agree with, e.g. get off my part of the sofa. His memory, he will remember where you last put his digestives and go at get them if he can. His love of cheese and how he tells you if there isn't any in his bowl for his meal - "I am not eating that". A surprising one having had a dog that eats everything and anything, is Finn's refusal to take treats from strangers. Even when we are out he is a reluctant eater, the occasional biscuit (not dog biscuit but digestive or viennese whirl). He likes yoghurt and will wait for us to doze off in the evening so he can quietly remove empty pots from the table before taking them upstairs to bed to lick out with that huge tongue.

I'm going on and on here but you can see just how adorable they are. Finally, his devotion. For his evening walk, if he wants Stephanie to come with us (which is all the time) he will bark at her in a high pitched tone (his girly bark, we call it) to tell her she has to come. If he senses a reluctance, he will stand behind her and push her towards the door. He is adores my wife and is devoted to her.

Finally, finally, how deerhounds love being with other deerhounds. From the first time we went to a deerhound event it struck us just how they like being together. yes, they can be competitive on the lure course (if they can be bothered to run) but you do get that sense of camaraderie .

Now if ever there was a plug for the Fun Day that was it. See you there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 10 months ago #40271 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: Reversing....
Yoghurt and digestives are you sure you haven't mixed Finn with my Aoife? Your right about the sighs too, approval or disapproval comes with a big sigh! Last week I introduced Aoife to my neighbours 5year old Great Dane (Lincolnshire seems to be bereft of Deerhounds...unless you know better?) its the first time since leaving the litter she had a match that was bigger and pushier than she is, it was lovely to watch them both galloping madly and avoiding collisions. As I am Aoife's only human she is devoted to me even though I sometimes think she thinks I`m another DH and will bounce off me and then look bewildered when I scowl at her.

More
4 years 10 months ago #40277 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: Reversing....
Deerhounds are wonderful, but the first year with them may be a challenge.

My deerhound, which is also my first deerhound can also reverse, at a quite surprising speed. If he walks offleash and comes to think about some interesting smell behind, he does sometimes not turn around and go back, but takes 3-4 fast steps in reverse instead. Unfortunately this happens so fast and unforeseeable that I havent been able to catch it on video yet, but it looks fun.

Pentiton is a very thinking dog, which has also given him the nickname "Little Professor". Some decisions require a lot of consideration, and that may take its time. He sleps in my bed, under the carpet.. In the evening when he comes in, I lift the carpet. He can then stand up to 5 minutes considering if he really wants to get up in the bed. If he has decided to do so, the next decision is due. Head up or downwards? He prefers to lay in his full lenght beide me, so that is a decision that has to be made. Of course that requires some considerations, while he stands with all paws in almost one spot, in a very critical balance. Head up, head down? After 3 minutes he may select one option, or the third to get down again. Then he disappears. Then, 10 minutes later I can hear him come, in a fast trot, or sometimes light gallop. He then immediately jumps up my bed with the head inr which way he may have deicided while he was gone, and I suspect he is already asleep whe he hits the bed. Some things in life really requires consideration.

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 10 months ago #40282 by maggiemac
I like the idea of the "Thinking dog" and I`m sure you`re right Aoife also seems to consider her options when it comes to where she wants to sleep, she sleeps on my bed ,bottom right hand side curled up and immovable,but the minute I get up she replaces me in my spot head on pillow feet overhanging the side......thats ok but I might want to get back in, this is when I think she wants me to curl up on the bottom right hand side!

• Brodiebrodie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #40335 by Brodiebrodie
Brodiebrodie replied the topic: Reversing....
I'm pleased to find this lighthearted topic, it reminds me what i love about Brodie. There are so many things - more positives than negatives!. As far as reversing goes, if he gets himself into a tight spot I tell him to back up & and say beeeep beeeeep beeeep and he reverses out of wherever he his. His most endearing habit was when he was a puppy he used to take my hand in his mouth and walk around holding it :-) I've seen someone else writing that here, so it must bee a deerhound habit. It's just lovely!

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 10 months ago #40336 by maggiemac
Beep beep,brilliant. Holding your hand? Mine does that too! We all know that DH`s dont like the rain too much, its often mentioned on here how they will avoid getting a soaking but sometimes its just cant be helped,its England, but what other dog comes in and demands a towel and a rub down! Mine does, and if I dont instantly get the message she`ll steal tea towels and run round the house with it until I do!

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 10 months ago #40337 by maggiemac
Beep beep,brilliant. Holding your hand? Mine does that too! We all know that DH`s dont like the rain too much, its often mentioned on here how they will avoid getting a soaking but sometimes its just cant be helped,its England, but what other dog comes in and demands a towel and a rub down! Mine does, and if I dont instantly get the message she`ll steal tea towels and run round the house with it until I do!

More
4 years 10 months ago #40341 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: Reversing....
The towel. What a lot they are? Finn does exactly the same and demands his towel. He likes to stand there for a while covered in his old bath towel with just his nose and eyes showing. He will stand like this in the kitchen for several minutes until he demands his rub down

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.602 seconds