Open Shows

• Chon Dubh
  • Chon Dubh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #13365 by Chon Dubh
Chon Dubh created the topic: Open Shows
Yesterday,(Sunday)we had Rainich entered at the Peterborough &District Open Show at Wood Green.We thought she could use the practise,as anyone who saw her at the E of E Champ Show would probably agree. :laugh: There were D/H classes rather than just AVNSC,so we though the experience would do Rainich(and us) good.She got First in Junior(no puppy classes),BP and BOB.This probably had something to do with the fact that no other D/H were present. :laugh: Now i'm looking at it from the point of view that Rainich wouldn't necessarily have been given firsts if she didn't deserve them,but I guess my questions are;
1)-other than like us(learning the ropes)what is the point of entering shows where there are so few entries in a breed that almost everyone gets a rosette of some sort?Do people have hundreds of them just to impress their friends and neighbours?
2)-who decides which breeds should have classes and others not?There seem to be lots of breeds with only a handful of entries.
Sorry for all the questions but we're (very) new to showing.Your views and comments will be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #13366 by suerose
suerose replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
It is the taking part and having fun with your dog that should matter, I do not enter Open Shows to collect rosettes just to impress friends and neighbours? I enter them to support the clubs, to keep the deerhounds class going, to give judges a chance to get their hands on deerhounds

More
9 years 3 months ago #13367 by wallace
wallace replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
We have an added bonus in the south. our group although live various directions to the show ground try to park together and set out the picnic table and have fun after the showing of course. We do stay and support any members if they have BOB RBOB or BP etc. We invite other people with different breeds to join us as well. We were at Ardingly yesterday with Vannessa getting BOB with her 8 year old Isla, Dave and Jeannie's Amerley getting RBOB and me with Logan getting BPIB. Weather lousy company and food good. :cheer:

More
9 years 3 months ago #13369 by Sid
Sid replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Chon Dubh wrote:

I guess my questions are;
1)-other than like us(learning the ropes)what is the point of entering shows where there are so few entries in a breed that almost everyone gets a rosette of some sort?Do people have hundreds of them just to impress their friends and neighbours?
2)-who decides which breeds should have classes and others not?There seem to be lots of breeds with only a handful of entries.
Sorry for all the questions but we're (very) new to showing.Your views and comments will be much appreciated.

1: It's very good practice for you and your puppy - open shows get them used to the show atmosphere and to being gone over by judges - but it's also very good practice for judges. Progress up the judging ladder is a numbers game these days and learner judges need all the support they can get.

2: Classification is a matter for the society that's putting the show on. Normally, they'll have classes for breeds that they think will draw a good entry, so if Deerhounds are thin on the ground in your area, breed classes will be few and far between. Wood Green's a fairly central venue, though, so I would have expected quite a few to be there. Perhaps people are away on holiday?

Don't be discouraged!

• Chon Dubh
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #13375 by Chon Dubh
Chon Dubh replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Hi all,and thanks for your replies so far.We certainly won't be discouraged.I also understand the attendence of open shows to"keep your hand in",to support shows,and to support the breed.I certainly meant no implied criticism of the showing fraternity.It was the question of which breeds get classes that confused me more than anything.Living in South Lincolnshire we are only 30/40 minutes from the Newark Showground,where as you are no doubt aware there is usually at least one open show a week.Over the last few years my wife and I have attended many purely as spectators and enjoyed them.It just seemed confusing(to me) when for example you can AVNSC Hound dominated by various Daschaunds,yet find seperate classes for,for example Pharaoh or Ibizan Hounds.Perhaps I need to join Purple on her "show terms" thread so we can have all the confused people in the same place. :laugh:

More
9 years 3 months ago #13382 by Jacobite
Jacobite replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Open shows are a great learning experience for both young dogs and learning judges and I wish that we still had them over here. Unfortunately the VCA stopped them in Victoria which makes it very difficult for the aspiring judges to get any experience. Which may explain why we have so many judges over here who haven't a clue what they are doing :blush: So what I'm saying is go along and support your open shows and have a great relaxing dat with your dogs and enjoy yourselves.

Pam

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

More
9 years 3 months ago #13388 by deladraper
deladraper replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Hi, I think like you, there are not many deerhounds being shown, that is a great pity as we can loose classes.

Here in Cornwall there used to be a lot of deerhounds. Most of the local shows would have several classes for them, over the years they have dwindled and the class were stopped.

I have been entering AV and AVNSC classes and have been amazed at the response that we are getting and people saying how nice it is to see the breed back.

Down here we try to keep in touch with other deerhound owners and try to let each other know about shows and the ones that have put on a class for us.

Don't loose heart, I'm sure the deerhound is on its way back. The more you show the more people become aware of the breed.

all the best Dela

• Chon Dubh
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #13395 by Chon Dubh
Hi Dela,thanks for your reply and no we won't be giving up.Incidentally I think you and I might have more in common than you think.Please forgive me if I'm wrong but I think one of your "babies" in a litter sister to my girl.......

More
9 years 3 months ago #13397 by deladraper
Get on!! which one.
Dela

• Willow
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #13398 by Willow
Willow replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Hi Dela
We have a litter sister to one of your "babies" too :laugh:

More
9 years 3 months ago #13399 by deladraper
which baby?
Dela

More
9 years 3 months ago #13400 by Denise
Denise replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
hi dela i have a litter sister to mo, all the best denise

More
9 years 3 months ago #13401 by deladraper
who are the others? spooky
Dela

• Willow
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #13402 by Willow
Willow replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Stag hunter is my girls litter brother and my Willow is his auntie. :)

More
9 years 3 months ago #13406 by deladraper
Benson is doing really well in the show field. I thoughtI took a bit of a risk having Doxhope working line but I have spoken to his judges at length and they say he is a good dog.

I must admit i chose him as I would a horse, is this animal correct and fit to do the job,the answer was yes.

I love him anyway so that is the most important thing, I take the best dog and I bring the best dog home.

Please keep me up to date I would like to see how his sister is getting on.
Attachments:

• Chon Dubh
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #13407 by Chon Dubh
deladraper wrote:

Get on!! which one.
Dela

Dela,apologies if I'm wrong,but isn't one of your "babies" Bradleyabbi Shamo??

More
9 years 3 months ago #13408 by deladraper
Yes!! and Denise also has a sister. Is your dog confident as ours aren't, they are very nervous and don't really like to stand still. Denise normaly beats me in the show ring but she is my mate so I don't mind and I did collect her dog Bradleyabbi Ardinor, not too sure of spelling, she calls her Flo after her mother. Please let us know how she gets on, its always good to know.

• Chon Dubh
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #13409 by Chon Dubh
deladraper wrote:

Yes!! and Denise also has a sister. Is your dog confident as ours aren't, they are very nervous and don't really like to stand still. Denise normaly beats me in the show ring but she is my mate so I don't mind and I did collect her dog Bradleyabbi Ardinor, not too sure of spelling, she calls her Flo after her mother. Please let us know how she gets on, its always good to know.

Thought so :laugh: The Rainich I mentioned at the beginning of this thread is Bradleyabbi Rainich. :laugh: :laugh: You will also find that the owner of the "dad" of the litter is a regular on the forum.Wouldn't it be great to get as many brothers and sisters together and some point. :) You will also find another thread on the forum from "Chook" who has Layla,another sister.

Best wishes,Kim & Jane,Rainich and Alba(the Italian Spinone)

More
9 years 3 months ago #13410 by deladraper
That would be good Denise would also like to be involved.

regards Dela

More
9 years 3 months ago #13419 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re:Open Shows
Hi Dela - dont worry about the Doxhope line,
bills produced some good lines, i know when he did breed they was well sort after.

I own Bradleyabbi Andalucian (Layla) or rather she owns me :lol: ,
Havent realy noticed any nervousness in her, when she first came she was a little,
but now shes brimming with confadance, the main problem we have with her, is stoping her bouncing on people LoL, she will stand still, but her attention span is about 2 secs,
so she gets bored quickly and will take a huff with me.

Jane

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.605 seconds