Could your dog be a lifesaver?

• emma
  • emma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 6 months ago #37056 by emma
emma created the topic: Could your dog be a lifesaver?
Hello everyone, I hope you and all your hounds are well!!!

I am writing in the hope that a few people may like to help. I am a Veterinary Nurse and the practice I work in ( South Oxfordshire) is becoming a host practice for the Pet blood Bank. We are currently recruiting dogs to become donors but need help from the bigger dogs. We need 50 dogs on the list before the Blood Bank will come and do a drive. For those of you who are interested and would like to know i shall tell you a bit about the Pet Blood Bank.

They are a UK Charity that supplies blood for all animals that need a transfusion.

Pet Blood Bank uk is a charity that provides a national canine blood bank. There products and services are available to all UK veterinary professionals.

They collect blood from donors at organised collection sessions in locations throughout the UK. The blood donated at these sessions is taken to our state of the art processing unit in Loughborough where it is processed into red blood cells and plasma products. It is then stored, ready to be supplied to veterinary practices across the UK.

Donors should:

be aged between one and eight years old
weigh more than 25kg
have a good temperament
never have travelled abroad
be up to date on all vaccinations
be fit and healthy
not be on any medication

Just a bit a basic information if you are interested then you can look on there website www.petbloodbankuk.org
If anyone is local or willing to travel a little (it would be up to 4 times per year)then pm me for any questions or more info. It is a great charity both my dogs have donated before, they get free blood tests before chipped if they arent already, blood typed and a goody bag to go home with. Oh and lots of fuss and cuddles from the staff.

My personal view on it is if my dog needed a transfusion i would want him to have it and the blood has to come from somewhere. Even if you dont live local to me there maybe a drive close to your area so check out the website and let your dog be a lifesaver.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope some of your hounds may be able to help.
Emma
dh:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• emma
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 6 months ago #37058 by emma
emma replied the topic: Re: Could your dog be a lifesaver?
Hi Elsie many thanks for your message that's great and thanks to Rob for posting on the home page for this great charity.

Thanks again
Emma xxx

More
6 years 6 months ago #37061 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re: Could your dog be a lifesaver?
Very good action Emma.

I have a question (just out of interest).

Citation:
"Donors should:
never have travelled abroad......."

Why this limitation?

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

• emma
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 6 months ago #37062 by emma
emma replied the topic: Re: Could your dog be a lifesaver?
Hello

The reason for the limitations on dogs that have travelled is because dogs can pick up blood parasites and other systemic diseases from travelling abroad if the right precautions arent taken and the pet blood bank cant take any risks on using donors that could pass on any diseases.
Thanks for your interest
Emma
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
6 years 5 months ago #37500 by Arrachogaidh
Arrachogaidh replied the topic: Re: Could your dog be a lifesaver?
Three of my hounds (2 deerhounds, 1 wolfhound) gave blood to the Pet Blood Bank when it first started up.

They do not regularly visit Scotland so we kind of lost touch but I did donate to them through my payroll.

The dogs got a nice badge and we got bandanas for them also.

dh:) dh:) dh:)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds