Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010

• Teratyke
  • Teratyke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Is one ever enough?
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #21176 by Teratyke
Teratyke created the topic: Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
** This thread discusses the content article: Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010 **

Deerhound Coursing Fun Day - Saturday 15th May 2010

Lure coursing and long jump
Are you ready to run (again)! We’ve had two great ‘Fun Days’ now at Wash Common, near Newbury (BSFA field). It is a great chance to trial your dogs, especially if they have never tried lure coursing. We also set up a long jump, which is great fun for the dogs and spectators! The emphasis will be on ‘Fun’, meeting other deerhound owners, and teaching your dog to chase the lure.

Please arrive at 10 am to book your dogs in, so that racing can start at 11. There will be a charge of £1 per run, which will go towards BSFA funds. Rosettes will be awarded, and thanks to Jean and David Gilhooly a trophy will be awarded for the winning dog to keep for the year.

We will be holding a raffle, with money going to Greyhound Rescue (if you have anything to donate, please let me know, or bring it along!)

If you’re not on the show circuit it would be great to meet you and your dogs! Even if your dogs are too old to race, join us for a social day out. Bring and share a picnic with other Deerhound owners (and their dogs!). Some refreshments will be available.

Depending on time, your other sight-hounds should also be able to have a run. Stay over for Sunday 16th as that will be the regular BSFA meeting, which you are also welcome to join, but prior registration of your dogs would be required.

If you would like to make a weekend of it, there is camping/caravanning available at Oakley Farm Caravan Park also, in the past people have stayed at the ‘Hare and Hounds’ at Speen, where you are sure to enjoy their hospitality!

I hope to see you there. There’s no need to book for the Saturday, but please email or call if you know you are coming to help give us an idea of numbers!

Contact
Vanessa Lucas, 01273 517314, 07941602913

vanessa.lucas5 [put at sign here] virgin.net

Falkland Farm, Washwater Common, Nr. Newbury

Directions
From the NORTH. From the M40 turn off at JUNCTION 9 to OXFORD, follow signs A34 to Newbury. At A34/M4 round-a-bout follow the A34 signs to bye-pass Newbury. Turn left signed A343 to Washwater Common/Andover. Follow A343 to Newbury, approx. 200 yards turn RIGHT just after CURRIDGE CAR SALES, follow BSFA signs to the field.

From the WEST or EAST turn off M4 at JUNCTION 13 follow A34 to Newbury, then as above directions.

From the SOUTH either from A34 to Newbury bye-pass, Turn LEFT signed Washwater Common/Andover A343 to Newbury for about 250yds turn right immediately after CURRIDGE CAR SALES and follow signs to field.

Further Information
Forum thread from last years fun day - lots of pictures.

BSFA web-site www.lurecoursing.org.uk

The Hare and Hounds at Speen, 01635 521152, www.hareandhoundshotel.net

Oakley Farm Caravan ParkOakley Farm House Wash WaterNewburyBerkshire RG20 0LP 01635 36581
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Teratyke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #21430 by daisymay
daisymay replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
We had great fun last year, so I recommend it :) Dogs had a great day & enjoyed racing & every one was friendly. Looking forward to going again :cheer: Hope to see lots of you there ;)

More
8 years 7 months ago #21469 by Joy
Joy replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Like you Kerry we had a fantastic day last year - really good fun. Dont think we'll make it this time though will hopefully be puppied under. Jxx

More
8 years 7 months ago #21514 by wallace
wallace replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Yes had a great day, this year the whippet can run as well, last year he had it bandaged up. The pups have grown up and I think they will run this year. See you there. :)

• pat olik
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #21537 by pat olik
pat olik replied the topic: Re: Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
I am hoping to swap shifts, to enable Grace and I to attend, it will be wonderful to meet other deerhound folk. She goes like the wind!! lets hope it will be in the right direction! do they take dogs at the hotel?? love pat and"cupcake."

More
8 years 6 months ago #21793 by ckitch
ckitch replied the topic: Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
Hi, We have a Deerhound puppy who's 16mths at the moment. Can we come along to the Fun Day May 15th, just to meet other Dh's and show Merlin some relatives!?

Chris

More
8 years 6 months ago #21797 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
and have a go at running! there is a practice area for beginners, to see if their pups will chase or not.

Welcome to the forum, from Helen and Murphy DH in Watford.

More
8 years 6 months ago #21801 by ckitch
ckitch replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
Did I miss part of your message?

Chris

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #21804 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
ckitch wrote:

Did I miss part of your message?

:laugh: I think Lurch was just adding to what you had wrote. Welcome to the site - I have a 2 year old and 16 month old deerhound and live in Pembrokeshire west wales. What is your deerhounds breeding?

More
8 years 6 months ago #21807 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
Bring him along. He is old enough to run and even if you don’t want him to (or he doesn’t want to!), you can watch and still have fun. It is a great day and all are welcome, even if you don’t have Deerhounds.
Welcome to the site.
Spring, Sue, Robert, Callie and Fergal in sunny Hertfordshire :laugh:

More
8 years 6 months ago #21892 by ckitch
ckitch replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
Hi, oh I get it..

Merlin, is son of Readwald Thor to Kilbourne & Ghiltan Tiercel.

Chris

More
8 years 6 months ago #21893 by ckitch
Brilliant... Its in the diary!
Where are you in Herts? I come from that area, and work there, although in Hook Hants.
Maybe if we come over that way we could let them meet.. or meet at the Fun Day?

Chris

More
8 years 6 months ago #21896 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
We are in Hatfield, there are also Deerhounds in Stevenage, Bushey and I think, in St Albans.
Spring

More
8 years 6 months ago #21900 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Coursing Fun Day UK - Saturday 15th May 2010
Yep, I am in Bushey! Vickingx is in Stevenage, Sue and Spring in Hatfield and another in St Albans. I was just continuing your post....you wrote "can we come along to meet other Deerhounds" I continued by saying "and to have a go ar lure coursing"

It is a good day out, unfortunately Murphy is not impressed there is a plastic bag to chase, he has got too wise for this now, so we won't be there, but you will have a nice day out.

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #21901 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Oh go on and meet up Lurch, dont be such an old grump!! ;) :dry:

More
8 years 6 months ago #21911 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Yeh, come on Helen, be nice to see you, Murphy and your border terrorist again :laugh:
Spring

More
8 years 6 months ago #22342 by ckitch
ckitch replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Possibly bump into all you guys on the day then...

Regards
Chris Liz & Merlin

Chris

More
8 years 6 months ago #22553 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
I am getting a new car any day now, a company car. At the moment I have a Skoda estate. I have just sold my van. My company are being funny and not giving me anything decent. I have asked for an Astra Estate, even offered to pay extra, but they won't have it - recession and all that, so new car is....a Vauxhall Corsa. I did ask for a can of WD40 thrown in to get the dog in. G~oing to be a fun year this year, have a son that plays county level golf and we travel all over UK watching him, so trying to imagine getting 3 humans, golf bag (tour) Powerkaddy in a Corsa. So won't be going coursing, might be a bit uncomfortable for him.

Have a good day.

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #22555 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Lurch8252 wrote:

I am getting a new car any day now, a company car. At the moment I have a Skoda estate. I have just sold my van. My company are being funny and not giving me anything decent. I have asked for an Astra Estate, even offered to pay extra, but they won't have it - recession and all that, so new car is....a Vauxhall Corsa. I did ask for a can of WD40 thrown in to get the dog in. G~oing to be a fun year this year, have a son that plays county level golf and we travel all over UK watching him, so trying to imagine getting 3 humans, golf bag (tour) Powerkaddy in a Corsa. So won't be going coursing, might be a bit uncomfortable for him.

Have a good day.

It could have been a smart car! :laugh:

More
8 years 6 months ago #22558 by Sid
Sid replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Fun Day, UK, 15th May 2010
Why not just keep the Skoda for another year? Damn fine dog transport, or at least the Octavia is.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.791 seconds