Lure Coursing

• Robb
  • Robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #1904 by Robb
Robb created the topic: Lure Coursing
I find it difficult to exercise my Deerhound, off lead. There are plenty of places but always the risk of someone being around who objects to such a large dog running towards them, even though he'll only want to lick them. Also there tend to be joggers and cyclists for him to chase rather than rabbits. Often the owners of other dogs do not want their dog playing with such a large beast, who can be a very rough player.

I used to have a small garden so found a farmer who was willing to allow me to exercise him in fenced fields, in return I bought the farmer the odd gift for his kindness.

I now have a couple of acres available, at home, and the potential for a 150 metre run. I would like to obtain some lure coursing equipment to provide additional exercise. We have resident rabbits and squirrels but they've learnt too well to stay clear when the dogs are out. I've thought of attending lure coursing events however they are far afield and my dog is not a good traveller.

You can purchase the equipment from America but it is pretty expensive. It appears that some starter motors will work well and I'm wondering if a washing machine motor would do the trick. Some pulleys would also be required.

Does anyone here have any experience in this area and know of any easily available electric motors that would, with minimal modification, do the trick?

Rob B
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Robb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #1905 by Sid
Sid replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
Hi Robb, the expert is Kevin Rose in Scotland. He's built a brilliant lure set-up from scratch and I'm sure he'd be glad to tell you how it's done. His missis, Sue, posts on this site, so you should be able to make contact soon. Your hound will have so much fun!

• Willow
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #1910 by Willow
Willow replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
I would be very interested in the instructions for a home built lure as well We have loads of fields and im sure my lot would love it.I know the feeling about letting ones Deeries off in "public"! Im sure my lot would love it the terriers could have a go too :woohoo:

More
9 years 9 months ago #1913 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
We did have a lure, years ago when training the greyhounds, my father in law built it, we can't remember what it consisted of, but had a car battery and a starter motor and a friends toddlers stuffed toy on the end! sorry no help I know. We can't even find the thing, we think we may have leant it to someone and never got it back, could do with it now!
We used to have fun with it and Murphy loves the lure.

More
9 years 9 months ago #1915 by suerose
suerose replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
Give Kevin a call after dark 01577840374 and he can let you know all about the lure machine and how he made ours

More
9 years 9 months ago #1918 by Terry
Terry replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
Robb, at one of the coursing meets I saw a practice unit that was contained in a small case. It consisted of a small elec. motor and a some sort of reel device. you had to stretch it out, and then upon pressing the controller it would reel the lure in at various speeds. It could be wound around pulleys so that it didn't just go in a straight line. It worked well. I'll try to find the site where they sold them and post it.

Terry

More
9 years 9 months ago #1924 by sally
sally replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
We are having a second attempt at lure coursing on Sunday. We are taking a Deerhound and 'Ells Bells, Charlottes Whippet. I hope we have a bit more enthusiasm than we had when we took Cara and Ruag a few years back.

More
9 years 9 months ago #1925 by Lurch8252
Oh so glad I read your thread! I would have gone Saturday instead, then wondered where everyone was!!

More
9 years 9 months ago #1926 by Lurch8252
Hi Robb, just found this photo on internet, might give you some idea!

More
9 years 9 months ago #1927 by Lurch8252
sorry photo would not upload, just google LURE in images, I think it is on 2nd page

More
9 years 9 months ago #1928 by Terry
Earlier I mentioned a self-contained practice lure coursing set-up. It hs a motor and reel contained in a small case and can be had with pulleys so the course can be varied from a straight line. You can go to this site for viewing. www.grimnergeryhounds.com

I have seen it demonstrated and it works well. It will do about a 300 yard course.

More
9 years 9 months ago #1929 by Terry
Hopefully this will show the coursing unit.
Attachments:

More
9 years 9 months ago #1930 by Lurch8252
Thats good, a bit better than the home made jobbie we used to have! I wouldnt mind one of them too

• Robb
  • Robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #1931 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
Thanks for the information Sue, Helen and Terry. Appreciated.

Terry the link you provided does not seem to be valid. Don't worry have found it at www.grimnergreyhounds.com/

Rob B
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Robb.

More
9 years 9 months ago #1932 by Terry
I take it you found it , Robb. You had me doubting myself.

More
9 years 8 months ago #2275 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
Hi There
I made one up with the help of some guys from the Hunting Forum (sadly now offline)
I am using a heater motor from a Ford, which also allows veriable speed (although now I only use 'top' as Callie can almost catch it!)I run a stright line course and can get up to 400 metres. We use old plastic carrier bags as the lure. If you would like any more info, just get in touch.
Regards
Spring.

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
9 years 8 months ago #2276 by Teratyke
Teratyke replied the topic: Re:Lure Coursing
Hi Spring
The picture further up looks like it s using a sea fishing multiplier, I guess so they can set the clutch to allow some give if the lure gets snagged. Is that what you do with yours too? What do you use as line?
Rob

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #2278 by Spring
Hi Rob
With mine have just made up a spool and the line runs through a guide. If the line gets snagged it just breaks. Being home made it a bit 'Heath Robinson' but it does the trick and gets her fit and in the mood for when we take her lure coursing. I am using 100lb strain fishing line. myself or my son usally control the lure while my wife slips the dog. As I said Callie can very nearly catch the lure so am looking for an upgrade!
If you would like to see what its like I could try to post some pics.
BTW power is supplied by a very small 12v 7 amp battery, makes it nice and portable.
Spring
Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Spring.

More
9 years 8 months ago #2279 by Lurch8252
Your Callie would nearly catch the lure! She runs like the wind, she ran against my Murphy at Newbury, mind you, he got a bit bored and gave up!
So that is how you practice,mmnnnnn!

More
9 years 8 months ago #2281 by Spring
We should maybe arrange a get together and have our own little run!
Spring

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds