General picture topic, new pics from us all!

• Bohann
  • Bohann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #29321 by Bohann
Bohann replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!

Joerg and Yoki wrote: The ears from your Pyry stand of "Full rabbit". :)

Thanks Joerg and Yoki, you just gave me an idea for new picture topic. :woohoo:

R.I.P. IW "Capu" 09.11.2003-31.10.2008 & "Jyräys" 17.07.2007-11.01.2012
Greyhound Koh-I-Nor "Tiuhti" 06/06 / Dullahan "Valo" 10/06
DH Black Jade's Bohann "Pyry" 09/08
IW Fernmark Nightwatch "Pikku-Kalle" 11/11
The following user(s) said Thank You: farnorth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #29336 by daisymay
daisymay replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
:) Love the photo's Sam, Bo and Bree are beautiful :kiss: Love the one with the toy donut ring on the nose :laugh:

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #29384 by verenav
verenav replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
So many beauiful photos have come together here meanwhile , what a nice way spending some time in the evening , marvelling at deerhound pics from all over the world - here a few new(er) ones from my nook of the world , southern BC ... first portraits of the 4 girls
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by verenav.
The following user(s) said Thank You: farnorth, Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 6 months ago #29385 by verenav
and a few more , just so
Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago #29388 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
Hello Verena,

Thanks for the very nice pics from your girls in the wildness from BC.

I hope, the bears now go sleep for the winter.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

More
7 years 6 months ago #29395 by verenav
The bears are slowly going to bed , so to speak , disappearing into their dens ; but now there seems to be cougar "everywhere " - even down here where I live . They have huge territories and at this point in time , they are way too close for comfort for me - cougars are not only immensly beautiful animals , but equally powerful stealth hunters - I do hope , they will make their ways back, deeper into the mountains soon . Othertwise all is well , we are enjoying a beautiful fall.

More
7 years 6 months ago #29402 by farnorth
farnorth replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
We hope you have a lovely time, the cougars go away soon and winter is not to hard on you all
regards
farnorth

More
7 years 6 months ago #29407 by verenav
Thanks for the good wishes farnorth , it is always beautiful here , cougars or not - and this (late) fall is spectacular - more (big ) wildlife here but way less cars and hunters , so , all levels out .
Attached 2 pics from the walks of the last 2 days .
Attachments:

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #29420 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
Do Cougars present a threat to your dogs?? Or are they shy and stay away?
I went riding in Montana once and they said 'dont worry about the bears' - so I spent the whole time worrying about why I shouldn't be worrying about 'the bears'. (I'm from Cornwall for goodness sake!!!!!!)
Your scenery is fantastic, but I'm glad not to have to worry about cougars and bears....

More
7 years 6 months ago #29429 by verenav
Well , I am from Germany .... and very glad , that for the first few years I only ever saw bears from my car - now I meet them more frequently , only BlackBears here luckily , not the more aggressive Grizzlies . Bears usually go out of your way , too - I do make noise to warn them in the dense bush , a surprised bear would not be a good thing . My dogs just LOVE chasing/treeing them , a " bark festival " for them - still , you wouldn't want to be confronted by one and mothers and young cubs can be quite dangerous ....At least , they hibernate for a few months out of the year , starting just about now , hoorray , I met way too many this summer , doesn't make for relaxed walks .
Cougars now are a whole different story - never saw one so far , but tracks and scat and " cougar kill " ( amongst the later not only the usual deer but once a bearcub and her mom , this now really scared me !, so strong and determined ) , one of my dhs once got "wacked " by a cougar defending her kill ( most likely the closest I ever came to one , innocent - or is it stupid ? - me ) and every so often I just know , they are around - my dogs show me this with their behaviour , which is totally different from every form of wildlife they alert me to . It usually gets confirmed by someone who knows more , like hunters or farmers . Cougars stay usually away from humans , have gigantic territories , follow the deer , their normal food - but , they are stealth hunters - meaning , they ly in ambush , either in dense bush or on trees and that is scary , one would perhaps not stand a chance - deerhounds being just about large enough for them to try to catch a snack...Have seen tracks of deer and then all of a sudden cougar tracks starting and the deer runing for her life ( she escaped , as the cougar tracks stopped and the deer tracks went on ) , quite fascinating . I am not paranoid about them though , not that many present here and not often tracks to befound ; I actually find it absolutely fascinating and beautiful , that we still have moutain lions out here , they do not even seem to be threatened in their population .

• mysdeerie
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Barb
More
7 years 6 months ago #29431 by mysdeerie
mysdeerie replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
Hi All, its wonderful to see the deeries looking so well and happy in so many wonderful shots by everyone. Verena the scenery in your pictures is breathtaking! I am happy to be able to share some pictures from Ontario that show a very different scenery taken last week with Cailean at the leash free park we walk in every day.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brollachan, farnorth, Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 6 months ago #29449 by verenav
Thanks mysdeerie -
what a beautiful dog park you have , and Caillean looks so happy and has matured so nicely ! How old is she now ?
Your remark about the beautiful scenery sent me looking into some of my photo albums and I realised again , that even after 15 years I can not believe that I am living here , am so immensely grateful to have found my way to BC - and also to the deerhounds . So , I think , I will attach a few pics , recent and not quite recent , all taken within 12km of my house/cottage right on Okanagan Lake ; my lot is very tiny , dog run seize , but , with a "back country " like this everywhere around you , that is ok .
" Storm moving in " was taken about 2weeks ago right from my deck , view to the south over parts of Okanagan Lake . And , the coyote , I assume , was shot and hung as a warning by a farmer over the fence - this beautiful big pasture is kind of fenced , but gates at both ends are always open and this is " THE PLACE " for my girls to go coyote huting...- usually I quickly only see a few dots disappearing up the hillsides .Though in the summer there is free range lifestock out and about and we do stay away.
The climate in the North Okanagan is semi arid , but , once you are higher up in the mountains everythig changes , enough water and the sagebrush and cacti gone ....
Hope all this off topic is ok , there are at least a few dhs in the pics to make it more relevant to this website .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, farnorth, Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 6 months ago #29455 by daisymay
:) Thank you, such beautiful photographs, they have cheered me up! I would dearly love to visit these places, so very peaceful and of course the Deerhounds would love it! :)

More
7 years 6 months ago #29467 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
What a beautiful place you live in. Always wanted to visit BC since geography lessons at school. Hopefully someday sigh.

Rob B

More
7 years 6 months ago #29473 by verenav
Thanks for your kind comments - I also had the dream to go to Canada as a teenager already , it seemed impossible and I forgot all about it - only 2 decades later a window of opportunity openend and I remembered the old , forgotten dream - now , another 15 years later I have not for 1 day regretted to have left my home country to come here . If you ever come for a visit , please stop come by ....

More
7 years 6 months ago #29476 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
Hello Verena,

Many thanks for post from the very nice picture from the very beautiful nature in BC and your informations.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

More
7 years 6 months ago #29750 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
Mysdeeries the autumn colours is a lovely backdrop for a DH.
Such a wonderful place Verena, just breathtaking.

More
7 years 6 months ago #29813 by verenav
A few more pics I took today - first my " oldie " na'lee , now going onto 9 years old , doing her version of a hunt ( several deer - and 3 dhs ...- were running a bit further away , parallel to her ) and the the youngest , keen Hermione , just over 2 - listening and looking for more deer perhaps to appear
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 6 months ago #30104 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: Re: General picture topic, new pics from us all!
A colleague in Norway is active in arranging a local play. They need a ruff for that purpose and they are made in a little shop less than a kilometer from where I live. As they do not export, i wa asked to go and purchase one.
Having such an item in the house was too much to withstand, and of course my alfa male got the target of my little experiment.

Bless ya all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: clyde, Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 6 months ago #30114 by daisymay
:) Oooh I love it, what an angel :kiss:

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 1.019 seconds