Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Queensland Flood - Help

Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 1 week ago #31664

Queensland Floods.

Further to HappyHounds comments regarding the flooding in Queensland I would like to comment and let people know that the areas hardest hit, in particular the Lockyer Valley, are home to many many hobby farmers and dog breeders and show exhibitors.

I lived at Mt. Tarampa in the Lockyer Valley for about 20 years, and like most small communities in this area owned, bred and showed dogs (my kennel prefix is, Cabefei Deerhounds). Why did we chose this type of area? The answer is that it was within driving distance of the city shows, the land was reasonably priced and you could have some acreage and distance from neighbours, always a good thing when dealing with the occasional bit of dog ruckus.

HappyHounds is quite correct in stating that the Lockyer Valley is the food bowl of Queensland, and other parts, however it is also an area high in dog ownership.

The reason I am writing this is to inform you, as dog lovers, that you can donate directly to Dogs Queensland (similar to the Kennel Club) and all monies raised will go directly to members of Dogs Queensland who have been directly affected by the recent floods. You can either donate directly via the link below or enter the virtual dog show. The dog or dogs you enter don't have to be registered or alive. They get listed in the virtual dog show catalogue and the entry fees go to those in need. ( I would suggest that Lurcher s be entered as Stag hounds).

Personally, two years ago, we benefited from the virtual dog show that was held for the bushfire victims here in Victoria. It is still gratifying and humbling when looking back through the catalogue to see the support we received from not only Australia but the Americas, Britain and Europe. Funds we received allowed us to pay for a water tank and a new electrical connection so that we could be with our dogs during our rebuilding. Items also received and often overlooked, were dog leads, bowls, bedding and grooming kits to mention a few. If it hadn't been for the support of the dog community our lives, and that of the hounds, would have been much harder.

Two years on from the bushfires we are still rebuilding our lives, this is the future that also faces the Queedsland flood survivors.

The second link below is to the Queensland Times Newspaper which is more local to the Lockyer Valley for those interested.

www.cccq.org.au/Events.ashx?id=272

www.qt.com.au/

Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you can please pass the message along.

Kenn
  • Laird
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 1 week ago #31671

Hello Kenn,

Thanks for your informations over the high tide catastrophe in Queensland.

I think it is a very good idea with the virtual dog show for help for the dogs and dog owners
in Queensland.

I will send my entry fee for Yoki and a donation in the next days.

I hope on fast end from the flood.

Best regards from Saxony
Joerg and Yoki dh:)
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1405
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laird

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 1 week ago #31784

Hello Kenn,

I have payment the online entry fee for Yoki (Deerhounds, Class 4a - Junior Bitch 9 to 18 months) and a donation + catalog order (hope of many Deerhounds in the catalog) today.

I hope that can a little help.

Here is a link for the online entry for the virtual dog show for the "Queensland Flood - Help": ozentries.com.au/dogsqld/

All the best
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 1 week ago #31785

Thank you Joerg and Yoki.

I will have to do my entries soon, and I do hope that the Deerhound communities will help where they can.

The floods in Queensland have covered an area the size of France and Germany and possibly taking in the Netherlands and Belgium too. Communication with some areas there is still not good and the Army has been sent in to help find people and to help with cleaning up.

Perhaps HappyHounds can update us as she is much closer to the flood areas.

Kenn
PS Northern Victoria and Northern New South Wales have also been flooded
  • Laird

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 1 week ago #31786

Have entered Ben (Blues Dream) in class 11.
  • Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 280
Rob B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 5 days ago #31835

Well, hopefully that's Banrigh entered and I hope things are beginning to improve over in Queensland.
  • Elise
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 516
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 7 years 3 days ago #31899

Thank you to all that have entered the Virtual Dog show. I should mention that dogs don't have to be registered or pure bred to enter. There is also class for the Rainbow Bridge class (of which, I have over used).

My entries to the show are,

Ch. Caberfei Chantress 30a
Ch. Caberfei Corrie 30a
Ch. Ballincrea Eala 30a
Caberfei Earraigh 30
Ch. Clachtoll Iona 30a
Ch. Daidh Cuseilge Luath 30
Ch. Fiallach Biuthaidh 30
Ch. Liathghorm Greyaeme 30
Ch. Nelungaloo Fame 30a
St.Ronans Cetus 30a
Ballincrea WM Wallace 10
Cabefei Romag 11a
Clachtoll Noble 30
I am sure that they will all enjoy the company of our dogs.
Going through some of my entries has brought back some wonderful memories of the dogs and the wonderful people we have met along the way, perhaps I am looking through rosy glasses but the characters then seemed larger than life.

Although the flood waters have receded in Queensland it is only now that some of the people have been allowed to return to their homes, I expect that this is when the full extent of the horror will become evident to them. Over the last 2 or 3 days the Lockyer Valley and Rockhampton have been lashed withe severe thunder storms which dumped over 100mm (4 inch) of rain on the areas. (Tropical storms are quite awesome and frightening). It would seem that it never rains but it pours.

Kenn
  • Laird

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 6 years 11 months ago #32111

I haven't heard or read much more on the floods or recovery effort. Local focus has been on the very slow moving Victorian floods.

However the attached photo's have been emailed to me showing some amazing photo's of some animal rescues. When yo consider how hard it is to get near a wild animal (as all of these are) then the rescues are even more incredible. Green Tree Frogs form a very important part of a snakes diet, so the frog catching a lift is wonderful shot. Stories coming out of flood regions state that the animals are more worried about getting out of the water (after days afloat) than they are about catching food.

All photo's come from near the township of Dalby which has had three floods since September.

If any Queenslanders are on this site perhaps you could keep us updated about the recovery process.

Kenn

(I hope the pictures work):unsure:
  • Laird

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 6 years 11 months ago #32723

Hello,

If somebody will and can help, then entry please for the VIRTUAL DOG SHOW to 25th February 2011 (thereafter is the entry closed).

Link to the entry form: ozentries.com.au/dogsqld/
Many thanks.

Best regards
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Joerg and Yoki.

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 6 years 6 months ago #34650

Hello,

I have received the catalog of the virtual Dog Show for the Queensland flood help this month with the mail.

Entries total: 1,744
Scottish Deerhound: 17 ( 14 Australia, 2 UK , 1 Germany)

I have scan the catalog cover and the Deerhound entries.

All the best
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise

Re: Queensland Flood - Help 6 years 6 months ago #34651

Hello,

Here the scans with Deerhound entries again a little bigger.

Best regards
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Joerg and Yoki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 1.852 seconds