× Please note posts to this board are subject to moderator approval. We do this to ensure quality and protect dogs. It can take us a day or so to approve messages so please be patient.

Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Craters_on_the_lawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #42252 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn created the topic: Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham
Bruce the deerhound - currently at Dogs Trust Evesham, is looking for a new home

Heres the link: www.dogstrust.org.uk/reho...ce#.U_dvy2NkXGY

Oh I am sorely tempted as this is only about an hour's drive from me.......if only I wasn't starting a new job next week.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #42257 by 3HOUNDS
3HOUNDS replied the topic: Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham
Oh, I do hope Bruce gets a good home soon and I wonder what his story is?

More
3 years 10 months ago #42258 by 3HOUNDS
I SEE HE'S RESERVED NOW!!!

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #42261 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn replied the topic: Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham
Huray! Knew he wouldn't be waiting long!

That's partly why I didn't rush off to get him - I knew he would be guaranteed a good home offer. My next dog will be a rescue that is struggling to find a new home, so I can feel I have made a difference. I am constantly saddened by seeing so many dogs abandoned and in need of a good home.
But if I see a deerhound I will make sure I spread the word so they get lots of home offers

More
3 years 10 months ago #42262 by 3HOUNDS
Yes, it was good news! We have 3 rescue greyhounds at the moment and there are hundreds waiting for homes all over the coutry but a handsome deerhound would never be waiting very long.

It was tempting to go and see him but luckily he was snapped up as we haven't got over our DH/GH lurcher being killed last month by another dog.

More
3 years 10 months ago #42263 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham
Thank you for that link to the Dogs' Trust, a wonderful site in a worthy cause. Rather a lot of Staffordshire Bull Terrier crosses and a number of Lurchers too. Time well spent scrolling through all the sweet dogs, reading their little bios and wishing one could adopt them all. Can you tell me, is there a similar site for Greyhounds up for adoption (or is it rescue), and are they mostly track dogs as they are in North America?

Ironstone Deerhounds

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #42264 by Craters_on_the_lawn
You sound just like me - I find myself wasting hours on the internet looking through dog adoption sites wishing I could adopt them all. Then I wonder where the last 2 hours have gone!

Yes there are LOTS of sites for greyhounds - and they are mainly ex-racers or "didn't quite make the grade" racers - but not all. And many of these rescues also take lurchers and other sighthounds.

If you want a browse I really like Greyhound Rescue West of England (where I got my lovely Grace greyhound from last year) - they have branches all over the country:
www.grwe.com/homingWelfar...gsForHoming.asp

Retired Greyhound Trust are another countrywide organization that have branches all over - some branches only have greyhounds; others like the Shropshire Branch seem to take all sorts of lurchers too : shropshire.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

More
3 years 10 months ago #42265 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham
I hope that Bruce has found a great home. He looks lovely.

It is however a shame that most rescues do not know much about the characteristics of individual breeds and do not contact the breed rescues to find out.

The information about Bruce states that sight hounds are food orientated, did anybody tell my deerhounds that. Only "perhaps" rehomed with another dog, again they need a canine playmate especially another sight hound who will enjoy their rough playing. Also "no young children", deerhounds love children as many people on this forum will know and are very gentle with them.

Anyway enough sour grapes and good luck to Bruce for the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #42266 by Craters_on_the_lawn
I absolutely agree - deerhounds are so very different to your average dog in their requirements and behaviour. Even if you have owned a greyhound before you are going to be in for a shock! (speaking from experience!)

Why not get in contact with Dogs Trust about this? Really unless you have owned a deerhound your average person really has NO idea what they are like. And I can't imagine many at Dogs Trust have - maybe they would welcome some expert input? Anyone?

More
3 years 10 months ago #42268 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Deerhound at Dogs Trust Evesham
I went through this a couple of years ago with another Dogs Trust branch. They were not interested. I have also heard that other rescues have a huge reluctance to contact breed clubs. I don't know why as nobody could possibly be an expert on all breeds.

I don't mean to do the Dogs Trust down though as in general they do a wonderful job.

Moderators: EliseJoerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.946 seconds