× Please note posts to this board are subject to moderator approval. We do this to ensure quality and protect dogs. It can take us a day or so to approve messages so please be patient.

Reluctant rehome neede for 10 year old deerhound

• kevsimmo@live.co.uk
  • kevsimmo@live.co.uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
7 years 4 months ago #33729 by kevsimmo@live.co.uk
kevsimmo@live.co.uk created the topic: Reluctant rehome neede for 10 year old deerhound
I have had Elk for 8 years. He is a wonderful companion and is great with people. (he does have issues with some dogs). He has been castrated and hsi health is excellent. We as a family foster 2 Disabled children one who is a wheel chair user. Recently our other foster child started having mobility issues and so now there are 2 chairs in the back of the car which doesn't leave any room for Elk. i wouldn't say he is being neglected but were he would normally travel with us everywhere we are having to manage the best we can. it will break my heart to give him up but I feel someone out there could give him a better life in his twilight years. If you are interested ( And I will vet you) please E Mail me.

Kev

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33736 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re: Reluctant rehome neede for 10 year old deerhound
Im sorry your thinking of giving Elk up
but need to ask - what makes you think someone else could give him a better life
than he has already, the good thing with dogs is they are adaptable
and can change to the changes that happen in our lives, if its stressing him out
and hes not happy then i can understand your choice, but if its not stressing him
then personaly i would probably rethink on rehoming him.

Jane
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid, wallace, Bodhranlady, WendyS

More
7 years 4 months ago #33739 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re: Reluctant rehome neede for 10 year old deerhound
Hi Kev

I am sorry to hear the issues you have with your foster children, very sad and have to say what wonderful people you are. I can also understand your fears for Elk, but I am with Chook on this one. I have always had a van for the dogs and used to be able to go everywhere and anywhere with them, unfortunately due to the economic climate, the van is no more and I am down to a Vauxhall Corsa, company car at that, so our lives have changed somewhat, my dogs only get to walk locally, as it wouldn't be a comfy ride for anything over half an hour, and there is the safety issue of having a large dog immediately behind me. They don't mind at all, as long as they get their daily walk. Seeing as Elk is 10 years old, I am sure he doesn't need major excercise anymore and he will adapt, after all, as you say, he is in his twighlight years, it would be so sad for you all to have to rehome him now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid, wallace, Bodhranlady, WendyS

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #33748 by Teratyke
Teratyke replied the topic: Re: Reluctant rehome neede for 10 year old deerhound

kevsimmo@live.co.uk wrote: I have had Elk for 8 years. He is a wonderful companion and is great with people. (he does have issues with some dogs). He has been castrated and hsi health is excellent. We as a family foster 2 Disabled children one who is a wheel chair user. Recently our other foster child started having mobility issues and so now there are 2 chairs in the back of the car which doesn't leave any room for Elk. i wouldn't say he is being neglected but were he would normally travel with us everywhere we are having to manage the best we can. it will break my heart to give him up but I feel someone out there could give him a better life in his twilight years. If you are interested ( And I will vet you) please E Mail me.

Kev

I am very sorry for your situation. I'm afraid we don't allow selling/rehoming of dogs on this site unless certain steps have been taken.
If you do decide to rehome your dog please contact the deerhound club's rescue co-ordinator - details at www.deerhound.co.uk (assuming you are in the UK).
I hope you come to the right solution/decision.
Rob
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Teratyke. Reason: edit - sorry i missed the title - he is a deerhound
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 4 months ago #33756 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Re: Reluctant rehome neede for 10 year old deerhound
10 years is considered very old for a deerhound, he probably wont last much longer and as others say probably doesn't want or need that much exercise anyway - try to keep him if you possibly can, its too sad to rehome a hound of that great age when they are so set in their ways.

Moderators: EliseJoerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds