Vets use of antibiotics

• Bodhranlady
  • Bodhranlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
6 years 8 months ago #41894 by Bodhranlady
Vets use of antibiotics was created by Bodhranlady
I would be interested to hear what people think of the veterinary use of antibiotics. There is a recent thread on this forum where a bitch was given an antibiotic injection for no apparent reason. I've noticed many times that a Vets rationale for their use seems to be 'if I don't know what's going on, give an antibiotic'. In human medicine Drs. are criticised for giving antibiotics without a proper clinical rationale and blamed for the rise in antibiotic resistant bacteria. I personally think that Vets should only prescribe antibiotics if they have good reason to suppose there is a bacterial infection.

Do any of you question your Vet as to whether or not antibiotic use is appropriate? I think more of us should - especially as antibiotics for a very large dog are hugely expensive (and VERY profitable for the Vet if you look up the actual price). Also, more importantly, we don't want our dogs to fall prey to antibiotic resistant diseases.

Don't be intimidated by your Vet. YOU are paying. It is YOUR dog. I assume that like most people you would all question your GP about medication and the necessity for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Lurch8252, Joerg Yoki

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #41897 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic Vets use of antibiotics
I completely agree about the use of antibiotics when there is no evidence of infection. I think the vet in question did not have any idea what was wrong, was grasping at straws.
I think we all need to question any treatment recommended for our dogs just as we would with treatments prescribed for ourselves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady

More
6 years 8 months ago #41899 by BethC
Replied by BethC on topic Vets use of antibiotics
I agree. When Yalla was a puppy he was a very fussy eater and was fed good quality dry food, but had constant digestive problems. Our vets prescribed antibiotics about 3 times and in desperation I changed food to raw and the change was miraculous. Really wasn't happy to keep giving him ABs, but glad it pushed me to change his food. I also think vets (and owners) over use Metacam....both our dogs have had broken toes over the past few months and have been under the care of two different vets who both advised pretty constant use of Metacam. As both dogs were eating, sleeping and charging about as normal we didn't use it at all (we needed to remind the hounds that they were supposed to be ill and resting!). I wouldn't constantly use painkillers/anti inflammatories on me, so I won't with the dogs either - the nurse at the vets said they don't have many "hardcore" (her words!) owners!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady, WendyS

More
6 years 8 months ago #41903 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Vets use of antibiotics
After our experience with Murphy I am so unhappy with our vets, but glad this subject has appeared as I just have to write.

Bohdranlady you are so right. Anything they can make money from they will. Don't get me wrong, there are good vets out there and I read a really interesting article from an ex vet who bought to light the over use of medications given to dogs, one being the annual booster, another money making practice. I felt I was being fobbed off many a time at our vets, I detested taking him there, but had to when he was in pain or unwell.

My friend has a good vet, she will take her dog there and he will say "buy this from the chemist etc" shame our vets wasn;t like this, too interested in relieving us of our hard earned cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady

More
6 years 8 months ago #41905 by stussy
Replied by stussy on topic Vets use of antibiotics
I am very lucky, I totally trust my vet and have used them for nearly 20 years even when I lived 30 miles away I stuck with them as they understand hounds, and always talk to me honestly and listen to my million and one stupid questions! :)

I am also very lucky in that my best mate is a vet nurse, who used to work as rep for the drug companies, so shes normally my first call or visit to check anything im worried about.
Thinking about it with my vet with the medication of my epileptic bedlington x has been managed superbly and its taken a lot of changes to get right, they also understand that I don't want to pay £50 extra a month to have smaller dose tablets, so they chop up the cheaper (same drug) but larger dose tablets for me! only a little thing I know but they could have just made me have the more expensive drugs.

My vets not the cheapest and its horrible when you don't trust who you use, I know everyone on here is all over the place, but ill start the recommendations with Swayne and partners, in Haverhill in Suffolk.

• Bodhranlady
  • Bodhranlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
6 years 8 months ago #41906 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic Vets use of antibiotics
I'm sure your vet is wonderful Stussy. However, this thread is not about recommending vets. It's about the over use of antibiotics by vets. No matter how nice a vet is, it is my experience (over 40yrs) that they over prescribe antibiotics. All too often, they will prescribe with no clinical evidence of bacterial infection. I have only known a vet to take a wound swab once in all that time and although it came back as a negative, the vet still wanted to give antibiotics! You name it, their response is to reach for the Ab's.

Over use of antibiotics is a really bad thing as that is why antibiotic resistant 'bugs' develop.

BTW, as medics we always question the rationale and will refuse antibiotics.

As an aside, did you know you can ask your vet for a prescription for the epilepsy meds which will almost certainly be cheaper from an online Canine Pharmacist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252

More
6 years 8 months ago #41907 by stussy
Replied by stussy on topic Vets use of antibiotics
Luckily I have never had what I consider over useage of antibiotics with my dogs, I question my vet all the way and im probably a bit of an annoying client for them ;) having had doctors wanting to fill me full of drugs I know what a problem this can be all through the medical proffesions! but I think an important thing is having a vet you can trust :)

thanks for the tip on online meds, I have looked and as its only £10 a month for her which Is covered on her insurance I haven't bothered shopping around too much :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds