OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC

• liz nairn
  • Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
6 years 8 months ago #41890 by liz nairn
OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC was created by liz nairn
Our lovely Deerhound, Flora, has been off her food for a week. Took her to the vet on Monday. Blood tests OK. Was given two injections, - one for nausea and anti-biotic. She was in season a few weeks ago but never having had a bitch before we are worried as to what is going on. Have tried chicken, steak mince but the only thing she takes is a little bit of pastrami! She is also very lethargic.

If anyone has any suggestions we would be very grateful as we are worried about our lovely girl.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #41891 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
Deerhounds do get post season blues. If that is what is wrong it will disappear like magic around the time she would have had pups if she had been mated, about 8 weeks after the end of her season. I have heard of several others behaving like this too and gather it is not unusual for deerhounds.
One of my girls didn't eat post season and used to lose a lot of weight, we renamed her the toast rack and she was not interested in running or playing, in fact was down right suicidal she was so miserable. This happened every 8 months. We had her spayed just over a year ago and she has been her usual happy self ever since. No more blues. My other 2 girls do not have such an extreme time just a bit miserable and extra fussy about food.
Have you tried cheese on her food? Or yoghurt?
I hope it is nothing more serious with Flora and that she is soon bouncing around again.
Try a search on the forum using "spaying" as a search term. There has been a thread which started at the beginning of last year.
Your vet may not think that such extreme behaviour can result after a season, mine didn't I know.
Best of luck with her.
Wendy

More
6 years 8 months ago #41893 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
I agree with Wendy. I have read about this lots of times on this forum. Perhaps best to think of spaying if you do not intend to breed. Hope your girl is more herself soon.

More
6 years 8 months ago #41895 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
Our girl was lethargic and off her food just before and for at least six weeks after every season. She just seemed miserable all the time. It got progressively worse and we decided in the end to have her spayed (she was 4 by then). For her it was the right decision and she has never looked back..
Hope your girl is soon back to normal.

• liz nairn
  • Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
6 years 8 months ago #41896 by liz nairn
Replied by liz nairn on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
Thanks to all for your very helpful advice. Has definitely helped to put our minds at ease.

Flora seems a bit better and met me at the door when I arrived home - first time this week. She is eating a little more, although we have to hand feed her. Ridiculous I know but just so happy she is eating, even a little.

Flora was re-homed from a friend who had to move to a flat and couldn't keep her so we feel doubly responsible when she is out of sorts.

Will definitely consider spaying.

Once again, many thanks.

• liz nairn
  • Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
6 years 7 months ago #41927 by liz nairn
Thought I would post an update re Flora. She had seemed to pick up a bit and was eating a little better. We went on holiday to Fife last Friday but by Sunday she was much worse and we had to get an emergency vet's appointment. He wasn't happy with her at all but gave her a couple of injections to make her feel more comfortable. Said her stomach was very tender. Told us to bring her back in on Monday morning for further tests and x-rays. The end result was she needed emergency surgery for Pyometra which resulted in a full hysterectomy. She was in for 3 days so we decided just to cut our holiday short and came home yesterday as she needs a lot of TLC. As you can imagine she is very tired but eating a bit better now. We just have to take it easy with her for the next couple of weeks and take her back to our own vet on Monday.

Heartfelt thanks for the fantastic care at East Neuk Veterinary Clinic.

More
6 years 7 months ago #41928 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
Oh poor Flora. Lets hope she is feeling better soon
The following user(s) said Thank You: liz nairn

• liz nairn
  • Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
6 years 7 months ago #41929 by liz nairn
Thank you for your kind words. Will let you know how she gets on.

More
6 years 7 months ago #41930 by BethC
Replied by BethC on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
Oh poor Flora......healing vibes for her and hopefully this will have sorted her problem out.

More
6 years 7 months ago #41931 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic OFF FOOD AND LETHARGIC
Poor Flora she has had a rotten time. You must have been very worried. Still I am so glad she is picking up now and hope it will not be long before she is bouncing around again.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds