More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #41834 by Spring
What a difference a year makes.... was created by Spring

Alice - February 2013

and Alice - February 2014

[

[
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, WendyS, Joerg Yoki

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #41835 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic What a difference a year makes....
She looks great now and what a wicked glint in her eye. But what was the problem last year?

• Spring
  • Spring's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #41836 by Spring
Replied by Spring on topic What a difference a year makes....

WendyS wrote: She looks great now and what a wicked glint in her eye. But what was the problem last year?

Yes, that's her 'evil genius' face! Always on the look out for trouble is Alice.

On the 22nd February last year, we were out with all three dogs and Alice and her mum, Sheila, were running about together. Alice glanced behind her to check where Sheila was and ran straight into a tree. We were on an old airstrip, so not many trees about, but she managed to find one. The noise of her hitting the tree will live with me forever.

The result, we later found out, was a smashed sternum (chest), which ruptured both lungs, some rib damage, two compressed vertebrae and a disc that shot out and wrapped itself around the spinal cord, plus a cut leg (the only thing that was immediately visible). One lung mended itself eventually, but the other was too badly damaged and a lobe had to removed. The chest was wired back together, the leg stitched and the spine miraculously sorted itself out. Nature is an incredible thing.

The picture is taken after a couple of weeks in the veterinary hospital, once she came home. The vets were convinced that she's been hit by a car. The injuries were apparantly consistent with a car doing 25-30mph. I didn't really consider at the time how incredibly close we were to losing her, several times. We were so lucky; if the gamekeeper hadn't found us and chucked us all in the back of his truck and driven us back to our van....; if we'd walked to the park as usual and not taken the van.....; if it had been an hour later and our vet was closed....; if our vet had sat on things for a bit rather than refer us straight to the vet hospital....; etc etc....

Alice is now as fit, agile and beautiful as she ever was. She is maybe not quite as confident as she was, however she was extraordinarily precocious before the accident and is certainly no shrinking violet now!

God bless pet insurance!
Sue
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

More
6 years 9 months ago #41837 by BethC
Replied by BethC on topic What a difference a year makes....
WOW! She looks amazing - paws and fingers crossed that she used up all her bad luck in one go and just has to concentrate on being an evil genius from now on !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spring

More
6 years 9 months ago #41839 by WendyS
That is incredible that she survived all that. She is so lucky

Mine have injured themselves in the past by running into trees and things but have always got away with just needing to be invisibly mended.

Best wishes to the evil genius.

Wendy

More
6 years 9 months ago #41840 by carolyn1957
Replied by carolyn1957 on topic What a difference a year makes....
I am so happy Alice has made such a good recovery. What a nightmare for you all. She looks wonderful. Out of interest is there an insurance co. you would recommend as I am lost looking online , so many different options ,clauses, etc.
Once again so pleased she is now well.

• Spring
  • Spring's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #41841 by Spring
Replied by Spring on topic What a difference a year makes....

carolyn1957 wrote: I am so happy Alice has made such a good recovery. What a nightmare for you all. She looks wonderful. Out of interest is there an insurance co. you would recommend as I am lost looking online , so many different options ,clauses, etc.
Once again so pleased she is now well.

Yes, the most expensive I'm afraid. I really think (and from our experiences) that with pet insurance, you get what you pay for. Alice is with the Kennel Club Insurance and whilst they are OK, the premium did a huge hike after the first year (no claims then) and when we did claim for this accident, they took a long time to pay (getting reports from everyone and his brother) and then wriggled out of a few things that were excluded in their small print, such as 'emergency admission'.

Our other two deerhounds (and previous two) plus the cat, are with PetPlan for the maximum amount and lifetime cover. It is a huge amount to pay each month, but we have needed it on several occasions and have come close to reaching the yearly limit a couple of times. After being stung badly by crap pet insurance many years ago, the PetPlan policy gives us huge peace of mind. They've never argued or quibbled about anything and pay up fairly quickly. I now wish I'd trusted my instinct and insured Alice with them, particularly as the Kennel Club policy is now the same price. I don't work for PetPlan and I'm not on commision - just my honest opinion.

Sue
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

More
6 years 9 months ago #41842 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic What a difference a year makes....
What a dramatic story, Sue, with a happy ending for Alice dh:) .
God bless Alice.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
6 years 9 months ago #41843 by carolyn1957
Replied by carolyn1957 on topic What a difference a year makes....
Thank you Sue for your advice, I will have a look at Premiums etc.
Take care...

More
6 years 9 months ago #41844 by WendyS
Re insurance.
My vet started me thinking a few years ago about putting money regularly into a separate savings account rather than paying out for each dog for insurance as he says the chances of all 3 dogs needing expensive treatment at the same time is negligible. I did some sums looking back over the last 5 years or so and it made a lot of sense to me.
I have 3 hounds and I put money in a special account by standing order, the same amount that insurance would cost. After just a few years there is enough in there to cover any major bills. I started by putting in a small amount each month then I cancelled the insurance on one dog (the calmest), later I cancelled insurance on another and a year ago I cancelled for the third (the lunatic). I increased the amount I paid every time I cancelled a policy. I have peace of mind and also my money is still there (not lining the pockets of some insurance company) as I have not had to draw on it for treatment. Luckily the treatment my dogs have needed since I started this would have either not been covered anyway, ie inoculations, or spaying or would have been paid for out of the excess.
Having said that the amount accrued so far, I imagine, would not have covered all of Alice's treatment but it would have gone a very long way towards it. I realise this is not for everybody and that it only makes sense if you have several dogs but it is worth doing the sums.
I am also lucky that if I had to find some more money for treatment I can do, so it has been worth the risk for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, maggiemac

More
6 years 9 months ago #41845 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic What a difference a year makes....
This is a very good idea Wendy.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds