× Canine health related discussions

PRO BNP bloods for early detection heart disease

• alfie
  • alfie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
6 years 10 months ago #41620 by alfie
At 4 yrs old i had pro bnp bloods done on my deerhound because his brother was diagnosed with dcm at the age of 3.
Alfie has not shown any clinical signs. Over the last year he has had 3 blood tests done and unfortunately the latest result has shown a significant increase in the risk, which now states he is at high risk of developing dcm, and an echocardiograph is suggested.

Alfie will be 5 years old next week and still does not show any clinical signs of heart problems.
I had an echocardiograph done today and the diagnosis is "early stage myopathy" and he has been put on cardisure (vetmedin equiv) with a suggestion that he has a further echocardiograph and probnp bloods in 3 months.
I share this with you in case anyone thinks this is worth considering, i am certainly glad this has been picked up early, and it is hoped that having mediaction early will prolong his life further.
Fortunately alfie is insured and this may be worth considering prior to suggesting pro bnp testing to your vet.

Has anyone else had any experience of the benefits of pro bnp testing
The following user(s) said Thank You: wallace, Brodie, crackadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #41673 by wallace
Thanks for sharing this. The consultants in their heart work up do a blood test along with x rays ecg, etc. In Dobermanns who have a big problems with DCM have the blood test annually just to keep track on this perhaps it would be a good idea in Deerhounds as well?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds