Broken foot

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41432 by BethC
Broken foot was created by BethC
Poor old Yalla (2 yo) has just recovered from his big castration operation (sorry boys, but there was a lot of "rooting around" needed to find the missing one") and was up to full off-lead running again when he's gone and broken his front foot :(

At the moment he is strapped up and has some Metacam (he doesn't seem to have any negative reactions to this luckily) and will be x-rayed on Monday morning.

Any advice about a) keeping him from going stir crazy for the 4 weeks or so that he won't be able to be walked at all :ohmy: and b) whether any of you have experience of broken feet and whether they are likely to break again if it's been broken once before?

By the way, he was an exceptionally brave soldier in the vets and allowed the vet the manipulate the broken bones without a peep, in fact it was just a resigned look in his eye and lick for the vet so the poor man didn't feel so bad! Vet said he'd never had such a calm and non-aggressive dog with broken bones before - great ambassador for the breed!

Thanks chaps and chapesses! x
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41433 by BethC
Replied by BethC on topic Broken foot
PS - just looked a the photo and realised he looks like an Alpaca!!

More
6 years 11 months ago #41434 by greycloud
Replied by greycloud on topic Broken foot
Poor boy and yes, he does look a bit like an alpaca :laugh: Hope he manages to get through Christmas and new year without any more mishaps dh:)

More
6 years 11 months ago #41437 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic Broken foot
LOL, :laugh: Alpaca! He does indeed. However, sorry about his foot. Can't offer any advice I'm afraid. Whenever any of ours have been on restricted excercise they have coped well. Better if it rains a lot, 'cause they don't want to go out in the rain anyway, :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BethC

More
6 years 11 months ago #41442 by KimC
Replied by KimC on topic Broken foot
Few days ago I inherited an 8½ year old male borzoi. He had his foreleg broken 4 yars ago, and it dit not heal so nice, the leg is a little bent to one side. I had him X rayed, and it is just a mishap. If it has healed correct (which it had in his case) the leg will have the same strenght on the long time horizon. There will be a time after thehealing, where it hasnt et gained full strenght. The best to advise you will be the wet who made the treatment.
What you may lokk fo ris some kind of habit that may endanger the foot. Like, if he doesnt lift the paws, enough. My old borzi has that problem, and got a paw injury by hitting a smal step wiht htis hind paw. Noting was broken, but bad wound. This happens to shepherds, that they dont lift the hind feet enough. The shepherd folks recomend walkng the dog in medium to high grass, preferably wet, or soft sand without any stones. It wil motivate the dog to lift the paws higher between the steps.

My deerhound had a leg injury that required a surgery, and after that a two months downtime where he was not allowed to run -what a challenge with an one year old! I learned him nose games. The Nina Ottoson toys are expensive, but good. The cheaper solution, if you feed dry food, is to take a soft blanket, and instead of feeding from a bowl, place some on the blanket, fold it, place some more, and fold it randomly, place some more, fold it ..... and so on. The dog will need skills and time to get his food out of that blanket, plus some more time making sure he got it all out from there.
The result of my deerhounds 2 month downtime - meanwhile almost 5 years ago - , is that Ive got myself a very nose-using deerhound.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41443 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Broken foot
Lovely Alpaca. Poor Yalla, I reckon he'll be very fed up with going back to no big walks and runs. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas - like the sound of the nose games!

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41447 by BethC
Thanks Kim! The nose games sound good, but we feed the dogs raw food so will end up with a messy blanket :s But, we are going to feed him his chicken carcasses and wings frozen so he has to find them in his recovery room.....not sure if I could cope with a sighthound who also had a brilliant nose!

I think his injury has come from chasing pheasants through the woods and skidding on the muddy tracks when he tried to take a corner too fast. His 4-wheel drive didn't help him much.

Crackadog - he is already fed up with not going out to chase those pesky pheasants and rabbits, even more fed up that his partner in crime (a wirehaired viszla) still goes out twice a day for a big run :angry:

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41458 by BethC
Well, Mr Yalla McFalla went off the vets this morning to have an x-ray to see what the break looked like so they could splint his toe properly. I came home with him 10 hours later and £1100 (!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :sick:) lighter.

Mr Yalla has had the broken toe amputated as the break wasn't clean and the vets couldn't get the pieces to align properly. I had a bit of a row with the vets about the cost as he also has to go back weekly for 3 weeks and have his dressing changed at £50 a pop. Ggggrrrrr. The Practice Manager is going to see if she can give me a discount on bandages........he's back in on Boxing Day morning for his first check up.

Anyway, he's slept for 2 hours in the back of the car as he couldn't make the gap from boot to floor and has just about managed to wobble his way into his own bed. He's under a blanket with my OH laying next to him.

Happy Christmas to you all (especially to the vet who is probably packing his bag for Rio de Janerio as I type.....).

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41459 by BethC
Here he is in recovery - still in the land of general anesthetic.....
Attachments:

More
6 years 11 months ago #41460 by Roughyed
Replied by Roughyed on topic Broken foot
Hi Beth

So sorry to hear of Yalla's accident.

It must be in the blood his mother had one of her toe's amputated a couple of years ago and only three weeks ago I ended up carrying her off the moor on my shoulders because she put her foot down a hole running at full pelt with Yalla's sister Belle, luckily it was only a sprain but when she went down I feared the worst. Didn't do much for my knees or neck for a few days either at 36Kilo.

Hope he soon recovers and has a comfortable Xmas - please keep us informed with his progress.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41461 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Broken foot
Hello BethC,

A fast recovery and many hugs for Mr Yalla dh:) .

Merry Christmas!

Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
6 years 11 months ago #41463 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic Broken foot
Hope Mr Yalla is back up to speed soon dh:)

Wigster n San x

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41466 by BethC
Thanks Roughyed! Luckily Yall was walking wounded when he first did it....not sure how I would have got him back to the car if he hadn't have been! He's 45kg so far too heavy for me!!! I would probably have left him in the woods and come back to lay a trail of extra strong chedder cheese - this seems to be able to break through any pain/boredom/deafness!

I'll email you with his news. Happy Christmas to his mum and sister......we're going to be visiting my brother and his wife in Ramsbottom with the dogs over Easter, if you're around it would be good to meet up.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41468 by Roughyed
Replied by Roughyed on topic Broken foot
Easter would be great to meet up.

Happy Xmas

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41471 by BethC
Well, in true Deerhound style, Yalla has gone from thinking the world had ended because everything wasn't perfect (lots of wimpering and crying to himself the day after the anesthetic wore off) to thinking it's the best Christmas ever because he gets to stay in during the rain but is full of energy so trying to run from kitchen to living room on 3 and a bit legs/feet is great fun. He had his dressings changed today and everything is healing nicely. However, the vet agreed that we'll start reducing his painkillers to remind him that he is still poorly and shouldn't be trying to jump off all four feet to say hello to everyone. He's learnt to hold his bandaged foot up so I can put his drip bag outdoor boot on and he's learnt to lie down on command too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clunie, Brodie, Bodhranlady, Joerg Yoki

More
6 years 11 months ago #41505 by Clunie
Replied by Clunie on topic Broken foot
Hi Beth C

How's Yalla doing? they are such awful patients - trying to keep them quiet when injured is in my experience very difficult. good luck! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago #41507 by BethC
Hi Clunie - he's doing really well, although is very, very bored and HATES the fact that our other dog still goes out twice a day and returns covered in mud and brilliant smells! Yalla's having his dressing changed every few days at the vets and they are pleased with his progress, stiches out in few days.

I've just taken him to the wood at the bottom of the garden for a toilet break and Yalla did make a break for it - a good couple of really big "rocking horse" type gallops before he ran past me so I could grab a handful of coat to stop him. Quite pleased with himself though!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

• BethC
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
6 years 10 months ago #41597 by BethC
After about 4 visits to the vets for bandage changes and three courses of ant-biotics Yalla is going to the vets tonight for his stiches to be out and his bandages off for good - hooray! He's been a very good patient, but not being about to burn off much energy has started to get to be very, very boring for him. He's been on a few 15 minute lead walks over the past couple of days, but tries to bounce around for the whole time (although he then does crash out for a deep sleep afterwards).

Unfortunately on this mornings walk he walked through a puddle that was deeper than his bandage protector so no his bandage is quite damp. Hopefully this won't have done much damage to the wound over the last few hours. Also, our estate dog-mobile has broken down and is undriveable so I am going to have to try to get him into the back of a very small Toyota Aygo to get him to and from the vets! :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
6 years 10 months ago #41598 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Broken foot
Glad to hear he will soon be back to normal!

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds