help and advice needed...

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41174 by maggiemac
help and advice needed... was created by maggiemac
My best friends dog is a great dane, 5 years old and a spayed bitch. Recently she has changed both emotionally and physically and is giving us all reason to worry.
The first noticeable sign was she was reluctant to go out for toileting , refusing to enter a lawned area she was previously happy with .We concluded she may have stood on a bee or wasp, however this behaviour has gone on to cause her to empty both bladder and bowel in the house. She`s lost weight, several kgs. A few weeks ago I walked her whilst my friend was at work and she had a long string of green slime hanging from her vagina . Also her companion dog (a neutered basset was extremely interested in her....this is unusual behaviour for him.) Anyway we thought vaginitis and she was sent off to the vets for a check up. He took full bloods and all came back clear, and no treatment has been offered except to give her more food to recoup the weight loss. My friend is a butcher so food has never been an issue, the dog has been lavishly looked after all of its life. But she is not improving emotionally. Her bowel movements are frequent and very watery, she drinks gallons on water and can pee for England. She still will not enter the lawn but walks fine everywhere else. I cant imagine its normal to have a discharge and bowel problems and there be no reason for it, are we missing something here? I know I`m not talking DH but lots of you have experience of other breeds so if any of this is familiar can you give me a clue.
I have thought it could be Addisons or even Cushings (she never seems to shed any coat), but with negative bloods we are both at a loss. So any help, would be gratefully accepted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #41178 by greycloud
Replied by greycloud on topic help and advice needed...
Poor thing - whatever it is it sounds nasty. It seems a coincidence that this has all happened since she was spayed. I know their coat condition can change but not heard of these other problems. The 'green slime' coming from her is the worrying thing. It sounds like infection or sepsis but I would have thought this would have shown up in the blood test. MRSA? That is another consideration. worse case scenario would be a tumour
I think your friend should either take the dog back to the vet or to a different vet as something is clearly not right.

Please keep us updated and the very best of luck dh:)
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by greycloud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41179 by maggiemac
Replied by maggiemac on topic help and advice needed...
Thankyou Greycloud, I should have said the vet agreed it might be vaginitis but on all the other issues was vague and reticent. I`ll post further when we know more.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41180 by Spring
Replied by Spring on topic help and advice needed...

maggiemac wrote: I have thought it could be Addisons or even Cushings (she never seems to shed any coat), but with negative bloods we are both at a loss. So any help, would be gratefully accepted.

Addisons wouldn't come up on a standard blood screen, the vet would have to specifically test for it. If they haven't already, perhaps suggest (firmly) that they do.
I'm not an expert in Cushings, but I'd assume that it would also be specific.
Sue

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41185 by maggiemac
Thanks Sue, I don't think my friend actually requested anything specific but assumed "a full blood count" would have covered most things so thanks for that. I had a rottie years ago with Cushings, the first noticeable symptom was weight loss from the head and deep sockets appearing above the eyes, this dane is looking very similar but the vet didn't seem interested in this.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41186 by KimC
Replied by KimC on topic help and advice needed...
The Vet who invetigated her, was it the same Vet who spayed her?
There is definitely something wrong with her, and the Vet should have noticed somthing.

I suggest to try another Vet.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41193 by chook
Replied by chook on topic help and advice needed...
Have they not done a urine test and swab?

Jane

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41210 by greycloud
Any news on this poor girl? Has she been back to a vet? Please let us know as I felt upset by this to think how she must be feeling. I do hope that there will be a good outcome dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41213 by maggiemac
Mmm sore point. I have suggested a revisit to the vet, and to specifically request bloods to be checked for more pernicious diseases however it has fallen on deaf ears and I cant help thinking my concern has come across as interfering, therefore I have backed off. The Great Dane seems comfortable and reasonably happy, I notice she cleans herself rather a lot and is drinking gallons of water, the nervous behaviour continues as does the loose bowel movements. So she isn't better , but everyone seems to be getting used to her changes of habit.
Shes a wonderful dog, and her owner a really good friend but "you can take a horse to water..etc". I know my friend , and should the dog deteriorate, she wouldn't hesitate to whip her straight round to the vet ,but until something more drastic happens .....sleeping dogs etc.
Thank you for your concern, I wouldn't settle it the dog was mine , and regardless of what the vet says, there is something not quite right, but its not quite obvious either.
Maggie.

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41215 by maggiemac
No they didn't Jane, I told my friend to try and catch the first pee in the morning and take that with her to the vets, she didn't. The vet was more concerned about the weightloss than any infection or worse. This dog has fresh meat twice a day, mixed with very expensive mixer, the vet has said she must have this 3 times a day, but I have watched her eat and she just cherry picks the meat, leaves the biscuit and then drinks gallons of water. I bought her some charcoal biscuits (which she loves) and hand fed them to her, that eased her bowel problem , but a day without charcoal and she`s back to the same state. If , as a stranger you looked at her you would not notice any lack of weight, or muscle or tone, I just don't understand the vets diagnosis. Since when did a dog with an acute discharge need feeding up?
Thank you for your concern, I appreciate all help I`m on tippy toes trying not to offend a very good friend.

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41216 by maggiemac
I absolutely b***** agree!
Thanks.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #41218 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic help and advice needed...
it's a difficult situation, you have done all you can. A good friend will always be there if they are needed. We all hope the dog recovers without ant further treatment ASAP xx

Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac, greycloud

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #41234 by greycloud

Brodie wrote: it's a difficult situation, you have done all you can. A good friend will always be there if they are needed. We all hope the dog recovers without ant further treatment ASAP xx

Yes, I agree
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #41790 by maggiemac
Sad update, the most beautiful Great Dane was pts this morning. My concerns were not unfounded. The vet missed a tumour. I could scream right now I told you so but it never helps does it? Every dog we know teaches us something else. This Gt Dane was one of the best dogs to draw breath, kind, quirky, entirely lovable. Going to miss you girl.

More
6 years 9 months ago #41791 by chook
Replied by chook on topic help and advice needed...
Sorry to hear that.

Simler happened to me last year with one of my dogs, i rushed her to the emergency vets with suspected pyo, they dismissed it as a stomach bug
as she started with explosive bloody diarrhea, day after they discharged her i had to rush her to my vets, turned out she did have pyo, that had by now gone solid
and also a tumor on her spleen, she was 13 years old and fit as a fiddle before hand, major op to remove everything, she ended up with septicemia and
her kidneys started to pack in, took months to get her right, 3 months to get her eating on her own again, she was doing really well - gained all her weight back
and was back to her old self, then September she went down hill and was told her liver was packing in, i knew it was time and best to let her go.

Jane

More
6 years 9 months ago #41792 by greycloud
I too, am very sorry to hear this news. Poor girl, she must have suffered and that it the most upsetting thing as it could have been prevented.

More
6 years 9 months ago #41801 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic help and advice needed...
This is a very sad story and the ending may have been avoidable if the another vet had seen her. Vets are only human and can make mistakes just like the rest of us. My vet is a good friend and I have complete trust in him BUT he is also human and if I'm not happy with something I look elsewhere.
I had a couple of beardies years ago, one of whom suffered from ear infections regularly, this meant lots of antibiotics. I read about Thornit Powder which killed the ear mites, which cause excess wax production, which causes infection. The antibiotics sorted the infection but did nothing about the mites so more infection after a very short time. I tried Thornit which really worked and no more antibiotics for the rest of her life, over 4 years.
The thing is that if you don't feel happy about something then query it and if you are still not happy get a second opinion. You would it it was a human involved.
Sorry about the pontificating but I feel so strongly that we should not just accept things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady, maggiemac, greycloud

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds