toileting away from home ?at shows

• Dylan
  • Dylan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #40999 by Dylan
toileting away from home ?at shows was created by Dylan
Hi everyone ..any thoughts/tips/advice. Aslan is 1 year 1 month old. Behavior at shows is normally excellent. My concern is that when out for a walk he has only ever urinated once in the street. that was after my daughter spent about 30 mins walking him up and down past were Torrum consistently urinates. We have tried this again but noting. Recently I had him away over night at a two day show. He did excellent the first day. However I left home at 5 am he was in the garden for 30 mins before leaving , I do not know if he urinated. He then went on to urinate at 11pm that night, after alot of coaxing. I took him in a create into the hotel room, he was ok there and to the show the next day. He was unsettled the second day and just off form and would not urinate. We arrived home after 11 pm where he urinated for a very long time. So he had gone over 24 hours with out urinating. The whole time we were away he had 2 bowel movements and as I said urinated 1 in a 42 hour period. I do want to take him away more however I do not want the wee lad getting pains or being uncomfortable it is not fair on him. any ideas ?? Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #41004 by KB
Replied by KB on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
Hello, Otto has proved to possess an enormo bladder too and not gone quite that long but close to it -even though the back door is wide open and he could pee any time he pleased. He is very fussy about where he pees and sometimes I can tell he really wants to go but cant seem to find the right spot on the street despite desperate sniffing.

It's a bit disgusting but you could try taking some kitchen towel and throwing it down to catch some when he does pee, then scoop it in a poo bag to take out with you to act as a trigger at a later time and then be absolutely full of praise when Aslan pees again on it.
-It was a tip I was given when I was house training Otto and although not a particularly shining moment for me, it helped.

Good luck
kb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

More
7 years 1 month ago #41005 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
I wouldn't worry. The time will come soon when you will not be able to stop him peeing on every blade of grass :lol:

Ours have all taken an age (up to 18 months) before they would pee outside home ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, Brodie, Dylan

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #41006 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
thank you both for your input I really appreciate it..good idea with the kitchen paper ( the things we do ?? :S )
and good to know that others have experienced this issue as well and that he may well grow out of it or into it depending on what way you look at it LOL

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #41007 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
Hi, I agree with Bodhranlady! Our girl took a while to get the hang of toileting outdoors. She held on for almost 24 hours when we first took her away and we were in a panic that she would cause herself harm by holding in that long. Our breeder was there too and told us not to worry that time would sort it out. However after she got the hang of Be clean meaning to go and toilet she was fine and happy to pee anywhere outdoors. When it's raining etc and she doesn't want to go out she will sti;; do so on the command of "be clean" We also used the used paper trick.at the beginning. Oh the joys!
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by crackadog. Reason: spelling!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Dylan

More
7 years 1 month ago #41010 by greycloud
Replied by greycloud on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
My boy has the bladder of a camel and can go without peeing for 18 hours despite the back door being open. Even when we go out he wont pee straight away but carefully selects his spot. He has never cocked his leg either.

It does seem to be a deerhound trait and does not appear to do them any harm

More
7 years 1 month ago #41011 by KB
Replied by KB on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
Crumpets, I wish Otto didn't cock his leg. All he ever does is lift one leg to pee all over the other and with a bladder the size of a small dog, we sometime stand for what seems a full minute, cars backed up patiently waiting in the mews and Otto's river of pee, flooding down the street.

But still a small price to pay for beasties that never demand you get out of bed because they cant hold it any longer.

I say we should celebrate the freakishly large bladders.
xx

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #41012 by Dylan
Really guys this is such a relief !! This is the value of a forum like this to be able to connect and see what is " normal " for our Deerhounds. Torrum the older Deerhound will sometimes lift his leg but to be honest he does not have the best balance and as you say Greycloud often goes for weeks without lifting. he will also not drink from a water bowl..it is the bathroom tap. i think they are such big dogs you forget they are so sensitive, the boys as you mention make such a fuss of finding the " right " place to pee where as the 24 week old chocie lab will just run out and urinate when you tell him. Even when the big boys stick their heads through the fence to look at him , it does not put him off..although he is fearless. Aslan will drink or over turn his water bowl then bark like crazy at the nasty big dog he see's in his bowl !! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: greycloud

More
7 years 1 month ago #41017 by Bodhranlady
Speaking of drinking from the water bowl :- our older DH insists on drinking from the side furthest away from where he is standing and splashes water all over the floor. Honestly, it looks like the dishwasher has leaked! The younger one drinks from the cats dish, the cats drink from the dogs dish (even though it's raised). It's a madhouse :-) but we love it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Dylan

More
7 years 1 month ago #41018 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
I still worry about my youngest (3 years old) not peeing when we are away. If we are somewhere I can let her off the lead then it is no problem but on the lead is totally different.
The trick with the kitchen towel sounds a good idea, I'll remember it. Thank you KB. :)

More
7 years 1 month ago #41022 by greycloud
Replied by greycloud on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
We seem to go through all the traumas of getting them to stop peeing in the house when we are toilet training them, then when they grow up we worry that they are not peeing enough :)

We have been through the knocking over of water bowls, drinking from the opposite side of the bowl but now we have a huge plastic bucket outside the back door (which is open nearly all the time, even in winter as I hate a hot house). The bucket is washed out and refilled daily.

More
7 years 1 month ago #41026 by Bodhranlady
We have a big bucket outside as well which they love but they'll drink from that and then come in and drink from the bowl and soak the floor, grrrrrr! They do it on purpose of course :evil:

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #41027 by Dylan
Mm don@t you just love it ( ! ? ) when you say to them now don't tip the water bowl and of course a few minutes later your hear that wonderful sound of water being tipped ! Interesting to hear that your dogs also drink from the opposite side of the bowl, our do that and also keep their noise out of the water. Or they do not want a drink untill..you have just filled the bowl up and are trying to put it back on the floor thats when our 2 really want a drink so you stand and hold it for them. Then they give you a bis slobbery wet kiss , as if thanks dad for holding that for me...and your thinking really I wasn't!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady

More
7 years 1 month ago #41069 by Neil
Replied by Neil on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
Finn must have a large bladder too as he has very rarely wet in the house when left. In fact one time he did wet was up the Christmas tree in the hall and we put this down to confusion :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki, greycloud

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #41070 by Dylan
As you say Neil gotta keep an eye on the old Christmas tree !! LOL

Torrum would be good in the house until a few months back when he was trying to get romantic with another Deerhound in heat ( it was on purpose and unscusseful as the bitch just was not ready apparently ) any way the big boy did well , brought him home all was good..except I was very naive about this..I have only breed with female before..opps he howled for about 3 weeks huge long howls and kept "showering " doors in the house..thankfully he has stopped ! Ok I admit I did ask the vet and he was like yes totally normal.. :blush:

More
7 years 1 month ago #41072 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic toileting away from home ?at shows
thats dogs & trees Neil LOL

Wigster n San x

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds