× Canine health related discussions

hotdogs.

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40558 by KB
hotdogs. was created by KB
When it's hot I am lethargic, I have no appetite, my brain goes to sleep and I get a bit grumpy.

Are Deerhounds the same?

I'm a bit worried about Otto, he's not eating well, he hasn't really run for days and he's snapping at other dogs (which isn't like him AT ALL) and he's all dopey and vacant.

Is this just a Deerhound thing? I have found that grooming him helps to keep him cool but this heat is something he's never met and extra grooming isn't enough, so any advise beyond walking early?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #40559 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic hotdogs.
Walk early - very early! Make sure there is always cold water available. Be your dog's slave. You will learn! :laugh:

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40560 by KB
Replied by KB on topic hotdogs.
Hello Bodhranlady, thank you for replying, but of course I'm Otto's slave! -whatever the weather, and we live in London, which gloriously means we have big open spaces, with trees for shade and dog water fountains every five minutes and lovely ponds for him to dip his toes but i was hoping to understand if heat is generally the deerhounds nemesis and if so, are there any other handy tips beyond extra grooming to keep him cool?
Attachments:

• Laird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40561 by Laird
Replied by Laird on topic hotdogs.
Hi, we live in Australia where it gets very hot in summer in most places. We put ice blocks in their water and when you have them inside we also put wet towels over them and hope they are not going to move.
We are also lucky to have aircon in our house

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40562 by KB
Thanks Laird, That's a great idea. If there's one thing I can rely on is that Otto wont move. I've tried really sneakily pouring water over him and if I massage him enough while I do it, it takes him a little while before he notices that I've poured that awful stuff WATER over him but a really cold wet towel, I'm sure he'll find less offensive.

Do you find that the heat affects them in the same way? -and they become rather vacant, a bit grumpy and lose the love of bouncing about like twits?

k. x

More
7 years 4 months ago #40563 by greycloud
Replied by greycloud on topic hotdogs.
Hi KB - in answer to your question the answer is YES! My lot are exactly the same as Otto. Mooning around, off their food and irritable. The only time they come to life is on the last walk of the day which is around 10pm. Then they go barmy, playfighting and running.We usually go out 3/4 times a day but since the heat it has only been ist thing and last thing.
I have fans on in the house and have used the wet towels on occasions. They really seem to suffer in the heat poor darlings..
The following user(s) said Thank You: KB

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #40565 by KB
Hello Greycloud! thank you for that. I realised within about 10 minutes after very first returning home with Otto that he'd turned my heart into mush and I absolutely need him to live with me FOREVER or that mush will turn to hot soup, pour through my ribcage and I'd never be able to scoop it from the floor, which is rather a worry.

Luckily I realised too much of this type of worry would only age me and not actually help anything, so we've all agreed that actually Otto is immortal and we can all continue merrily in ignorant bliss.

But we've never met this heat before and those earlier worries started to niggle, so thank you for the reassurance and I'll stop watching his every movement for signs of illness and go and do something more fun instead.

Thanks Greycloud! xx

Have a photo of days we like. x
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by KB.

More
7 years 4 months ago #40571 by greycloud
Hi KB - your descriptive posts do make me laugh. I feel the same way about my hounds but can't describe it in the way that you can :laugh:

More
7 years 4 months ago #40575 by KimC
Replied by KimC on topic hotdogs.
My dogs are hot too. In the weekends I get up at 4.30 am an take them to the bach where they can play. We are home at 6-6.30, where the temperatures this morning had already rached 23 degress celcius. I have trimed the coat of my deerhound and the borzois down to a bare minimum, and shaved their groin, as that is the only region where they can actually sweat.

Here at 8.45 am - temperature is now 24.5 C they are all apssive, and they wil probably first draw attention to themselves in the evening after 9pm or so. We will enjoy the day today, because tomorrow is gouing to be 2-3 degrees hotter, and a little rain in the night wil ensure that the air moistrue gets even higher..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40581 by KB
Thanks everyone. It was Otto's birthday the other day so I took him to a Private View of an art exhibition where his owner drank wine and he was loved and fussed over by everyone that was supposed to be looking at the art and then we went on to Regents Park for a play. He cheered up so much we stayed and stayed until we realised it was all dark and we were locked in. -I had to phone the police to come and let us out and we got told off by 'Parky'.
The temperature has dropped now but he loved his wet towel and came to show me everytime it fell of so I could replace it and marvel at how he looked like a cross between the Virgin Mary and a big magnificent race horse (quite a combination).

But he seems much better, so thank you for your reassurance and excellent tips!

xxx
Attachments:

More
7 years 4 months ago #40583 by greycloud
A wet towel really suits Otto = very handsome. I have to ask = what is the green spatter on the t-shirt of the person in the photo?

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40584 by KB
Now you ask, I'm not sure myself. It's my cousin, there were splats all over that top, and thinking about it, I'm not sure I know what they were all amounting to.

Some things are best left as mysteries...

xxx

More
7 years 4 months ago #40586 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic hotdogs.
Ha ha! Told off by the Parky! Haven't heard that for years. Still I reckon the refreshments from the art show must have sent you all to sleep after the playtime!

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #40587 by KB
Hello Crackadog, the thing with being told off by 'Parky' is that after all these years it's still ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to pull a sorry face and take your punishment seriously, as you still know your crime's marvelous and you'd do it again in a flash.

xx

More
7 years 4 months ago #40588 by Neil
Replied by Neil on topic hotdogs.
Finn has been suffering too. I walk him early before 5:30 and late around 9. We have a tiled floor in the hall and he enjoys lying on this in any breeze from the back door yet he will still insist on joining us in our hot south facing garden. He will stay for a few minutes before returning to his cool tiles. I have brushed him stripping as much as possible.

More
7 years 4 months ago #40596 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic hotdogs.
Hi KB, loving all these posts, made me laugh!

Where abouts in London are you? I'm in Hertfordshire, but drive around London daily. Ive never seen a DH in London!

• KB
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #40598 by KB
Hello Lurch(miscellaneous numbers), we live in Notting Hill and today could be spotted bounding over Hampstead. Otto is famous round here. we are quite often stopped and asked if this is Oskar and irritatingly, i know the answer is yes, they just get it slightly wrong. We get stopped a lot and hear stuff about a 'horse' and a 'saddle' tooth grindingly often but my absolute worst is being stopped to be told that Otto doesn't look right for a Wolfhound and I should be reported for not feeding him enough. BUT if you're driving around and you see us, do stop and say hello, I always make a special effort for someone that knows what an Otto is. x
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by KB. Reason: typos

More
7 years 4 months ago #40599 by chook
Replied by chook on topic hotdogs.
You could look at getting one of the cooling coats or cooling beds - there not cheap so worth reading reviews before hand.

Think I'm lucky my girl loves the hot weather and have had to drag her inside a few times before she baked,
as she will spend all day outside sunbathing and playing with the pup.

Jane

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #41077 by Poppamies
Replied by Poppamies on topic hotdogs.
Thankfully that's not a problem where we live. Dusty loves the snow.
dl.dropboxusercontent.com...0-17-2671_1.jpg

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Joerg Yoki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, greycloud

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds