Spaying

• crackadog
  • crackadog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Limit Boarder
  • Limit Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #38947 by crackadog
Spaying was created by crackadog
After much deliberation we have booked Freya in to be spayed by laparoscopy next week. She is so miserable during and for 8 weeks post season that it just seems unfair to keep losing so many weeks twice a year. Dreading it of course, but had a long chat with the vet about types of anaesthetic etc and made the decision this morning. Will let you know how she goes, but hopefully she will be fine and can look forward to enjoying life all year round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #38953 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re: Spaying
I hope all goes well for her( and thus for you)! I did have my first 4 dhs spayed, regular procedure, no problems, also not much pain- deerhounds seem to be very tough in dealing with pain anyways- I think I never even used painkiller s for the first few days. I, though, have decided against spaying my 2 younger ones, only if there was an emergency (hopefully never, but pyometra would be the biggest worry). With 1 I was agonising for a while, same reason, not, that she was totally miserable but so different from her normal, active and playful self, especially around 3years of age. But , I kept giving homoeopathy ( supposed to lessen the effects over time/from false pregnancy to false pregnancy) and now, at age 4.5, her "post season blues" was much less pronounced and I put her spay off , again. My youngest only had 1 heat so far and did not show any "symptoms" whatsoever afterwards, at least none, that wouldhave been recognizabe to me .
Crossing my fingers that all went well and your girl will be happy again very soon!

More
7 years 10 months ago #39105 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic Re: Spaying
How is Freya after her operation? Was the laparoscopy method a successful alternative? Is the recovery time quicker? Isla is booked in for next friday for a normal spay. I'm dreading it but like Freya she was getting more and more depressed each season. Last time she lost so much weight that we were calling her the toast rack. It does seem a shame as at the moment Isla is 6 years old acting like a 2 year old. Hopefully she will be like this all the time after her op.
Wendy

• crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Limit Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #39108 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Re: Spaying
Hi Wendy, Yes thank you, Freya is well over her op and back to top form careering everywhere through the snow. The op went well with two tiny scars which healed very quickly. She is such a total wimp when anything hurts, so she made the most of looking very sad for 2 days, seemingly too scared to attempt to walk properly and did a sort of scuttle to go outside when she needed to. She did have pain killers on days 1 and 2, but later on day 3 she did try to walk more normally, and discovered she was better when she did so and hasn't looked back since then. It is a worry beforehand, but we are glad to see her bouncy again and glad she can stay that way all year now. Good luck for Isla next week and let us know how she gets on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: verenav, Brodie, stussy, Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 10 months ago #39121 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic Re: Spaying
Glad the news on progress is good :)

Wigster n San x

More
7 years 9 months ago #39222 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic Re: Spaying
Hi Ailish
Well Isla is fine and has started to recover her appetite and is walking normally, I expected her to be a bit hunched up. She seems to be recovering very quickly after looking so pathetic on Friday after the op. She was too scared to lie down for a while. Huge weight off my mind and so glad it is all over.
Wendy
:) :) :)

• crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Limit Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago #39224 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Re: Spaying
Hi Wendy,
So pleased all went well for Isla. She has made a very speedy recovery so will soon be wanting get racing around again. Ailish

More
7 years 9 months ago #39277 by wallace
Replied by wallace on topic Re: Spaying
Glad both hounds are now over their operations. xx

More
7 years 4 days ago #41343 by WendyS
Replied by WendyS on topic Spaying
Hi Ailish
How has Freya been since her op last January?
I must say Isla is now almost 7 years old but acts like a 3 year old, completely mad. No sign of depression since she was spayed. I'm so glad we made the decision to get her done. She just enjoys life all the time now instead of loosing so many weeks every year.
If anybody else's girl is almost suicidal after being in season please consider a spay. It has been great for Isla.
Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki

• crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Limit Boarder
More
7 years 3 days ago #41348 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Spaying
Hi Wendy,
Yes, Freya too has been heaps better since her spay. It is so good to see her well and to know that she wont be going downhill due to her season again. Hve had to modify the diet a bit though as she began to put on too much weight! Glad Isla has done so well too. Ailish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki

More
7 years 2 days ago #41352 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Spaying
Good to hear this Ailish.

Ear rub for Freya dh:) .

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds