Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Canine health related discussions

TOPIC: Deerhound Weight

Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29032

how much must weight My young Deerhound of 17 Months? :) More or Less, of Course ( Male subject )
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29036

Welcome ;)

"Elementary, my dear Watson." :evil:

In Italia (under Fci rules), as in UK (KC) it is "about 100 lbs" = "about 45,359237 kg" :sick:

So, for any official size, they (?) have picked recently 30 inches (76 cm) and more, without any maximum.
Thus it is "about 100 lbs" for 30 inches and "about 100 lbs" for 35 inches. You can imagine how beautiful is a 35 inches/100 lbs dog ...:S

In USA & Canada, a previous version of UK KC standard is respected. From 85 to 110 pounds (38.5 to 50 kg) for an explicit size range (30 to 32 in. = 76 to 81 cm) with a tolerant exception ; "or even more if there be symmetry without coarseness" and a realist comment "which is rare."

In the past, the first Deerhound standard mentionned 85 to 105 lbs (38.5 to 47.7 kg) for ......................... 28 to 30 in. (71 to 76cm).
If you run and do mountain bike with your dog, (failing huntinh deer) you can understand how these mensurations were right.

However, i believe that a 34 in. (86 cm) dog should weight about 145 lb, (65 kg) to keep ancestors proportions.
33 in. (83 cm) should weight about 132 lb (60 kg), 32 in. (81 cm) = about 120 lb (55 kg), 31 in. (79 cm) about 110 lb (50 kg), 30 in. (76 cm) = about 105 lb (47.7 kg), etc...

Proportionately, with more weight it is for Irish Wolfhound, with less it's for greyhound.

Obviously, unfortunatly, more often than not, modern deerhound resembles a show roughcoated greyhound of larger size but not larger bone. Not only has the breed loose ability to do the job, but it also has loose the original porportions.

To finish on an optimistic touch, i observe that the most famous UK and German breeders tend to produce deerhounds of moderatesize, under 32 in. (81 cm), and, with the help of shows judges, we can hope to see a 30 in. dog at the first places, because i continue to believe that quality and authenticity go hand in hand with reasonnable size and weight.
  • florent
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29037

Hi,
And Thank you for your prompt reply...but my Question was another.. :)
I Mean, how much it should weight NOW that he have 17 months? :) he Is Still a Puppy, the Weights you give me are for Adult and " Finished " Dogs :)

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29038

I too have a young deerhound. She is a bitch standing at 30" tall but weighing approx 33Kgs. She is not of a heavy build but I, personally, prefer the look to be more greyhound than wolfhound. There seem to be more heavy looking hounds about, some of which look closer to the wolfhound. However I am also new to owning(if one ever owns a dog)deerhounds and daresay others will view it differently!
  • crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 223

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29039

My 5 1/2 year old male stands 33" and weighs 105 lbs. He was roughly 95lbs at 17 months. I hope this helps. I remember his weights purely because the vet weighs him every time he is wormed.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29041

Hello,

My Yoki (bitch) is anon 1 year old and weight 32 kg ( 70,55 pounds)

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1222

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29043

Thank You All..
My Youth is Now 36 KG And i Think is a Bit Light....Hope It Takes a bit of Weight :) will Post Some Photos Later..

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29048

He will fill out and grow into his body, they said to me at around 3-4 years old.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29054

I would think 36Kg is a reasonable weight for a 17 month dog. As Lurch said they fill out as they mature and a Deerhound dog isn't fully mature until ti's about 4 yrs old.

Pam
  • Jacobite
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 179
Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29057

I think weight all depends on the dog and how its built,
no two dogs will be the excat same, even if its the same breed.

Layla when i weighed her at the start of this year (about march time)was 39kg
she was around 18 months, i do need to re-weigh her at the mo, as she does feel to have dropped
weight, and is starting to go through a skinny faze.
  • chook
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 246
Jane

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29063

Hi, our hound (dog) is 13 months and is 32" tall and weighed 47.5kg when at the vet,he had just turned a year, reading OP's posts it would seem he is quite a big boy for his age? Still looks all DH and no IWH though

DSC00030.jpg
  • 2hounds
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29067

He looks a beautiful boy to me :cheer: and the most amazing dark coat. Not a fuzzy leg insight!
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29072

Hi, the ideal weight is very difficult to determine for any breed because they all vary slightly in bone, build,age, muscle ( which is heavier than fat). Add to that time of year, temperament, fitness ....
Instead look at the dog :whistle:
You should be able to see a waist,feel the ribs -but they should have a covering ( I personally hate thin dogs -it does not mean they are fit - just thin - and a fit animal will have a covering of muscle over the rib cage.)
In the more mature dog/bitch you will have ( hopefully) a well muscled neck and in younger dogs you should feel good muscles in the forearms, thighs and along the back.
Juveniles are often thin and you can feel all the ribs, it's not always what you desire but it is what you get with the fussier ones ;) They can be nightmare to get weight on but as long as they are lively and healthy that is what really matters - if you are showing, condition is a bonus but like i said you don't always get a choice!!!
  • loopylou
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Happiness is a hound..or two.. or three...
  • Thank you received: 98
www.lureracing.com
Fast fun on four paws!
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by loopylou.

Re: Deerhound Weight 3 years 11 months ago #29105

True that...a better measure of a dog seems to me to be "feel"..rather than "weight"..although it could be hard to build up muscle in a pup...in fact it isnt to be encouraged at a young age...;)
  • hairybeasty
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds