10 years 6 months ago #23488 by Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #23499 by camuscuin
Replied by camuscuin on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
I like the pen idea, trouble is I don't have one . I do put Walter on the lead when he wants to go outside for toilet purposes, looking on the bright side he is now lead trained ahead of schedule ! Then inside my house I normally leave all of the doors open at all times ( including the bathroom door except when we have visitors )but am now closing certain doors at certain times in order to restrict Walters movement.He has plenty of toys, but prefers my trainers ( so what if they are still on my feet !), my coat, my clothes, or better still my towel whilst I am in the shower .As mentioned - the puppy energy has to go somewhere. My other 2 dogs are not impressed with the door shutting ! Trouble is I removed the kitchen door 8 years ago as it annoyed me, I had forgotten about that until Walters accident ! :laugh:
The fixator can be removed after 6 weeks, & then we will have to be careful while the 3.5mm pin holes heal up. I think that will be the testing time as once the fixator has gone Walter will believe he is back to A1 which won't be quite right.
Walter goes back to visit the Mull vet on Saturday just to make sure that the infection has gone/is going etc

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #23501 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
I remember how much patience one needs with an injured puppy - Mawu , who broke her knee at age 4.5mths and tore a few ligaments , too , had to be on leash forever , over 1 year all in all ( rehab included ) ; didn't help much with leash training , as I thought , the poor thing was handicapped enough and why not at least let her pull when excited ( of course she wore a harness )....But , she could play in house and my tiny yard , at times heart stopping for me , but nothing bad ever came out of those games , I just closed my eyes and followed the advice of my vet - small " re-injuries " of the healing bone and ligaments happened usually when she was walking slowly and e.g.mis-stepped on some pebbles or similar . Bringing her back in shape took also very long - starting with a little bit of roadwork on level gravel roads out here , then a bit of uphill added , then something like 5 minutes off leash/5minutes on leash - slowly and gradually bringing her back into condition and then " the release " and endles worries initially , hoping with every hunt and wild game , that she'd come back allright...
Yep , can imagine that wee Walter will be astonished to not have those fixators anymore all of a sudden - good thing they take it all in stride !!! We just have to adapt...

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #23570 by camuscuin

Just to say thanks for your posts & advise , much appreciated. Wee Walter is doing OK , he's certainly full of beans, & eating well that's for sure.I gave up carrying him inside/outside for toilet etc as he is just too heavy for me now at > 20kg !
Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago #23575 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Hello camuscuin,

Oh, oh Wee Walter - we often think of him.
We hope of a speedy and full recovery.

All the best
Joerg and Yoki

More
10 years 6 months ago #23582 by wallace
Replied by wallace on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Walter looks relaxed in the photos so his leg does not bother him too much I hope? I glad to hear he is getting on okay now. Because he is a growing lad he will be getting heavier so I can see why you gave up carrying him out. Hope he continues to recover well. :)

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #23658 by camuscuin

Picture of Walter relaxing in the sun with Charlie. :)
We went to the vets on Saturday, & he was happy with Walter's progress. We are counting the weeks left before the return trip to the Stirling Orthopedic Vet, where Walter will be X-rayed & hopefully the fixator removed if it's been a success & his leg is OK.If not , other options will be explored, but here's hoping. The Mull vet also advised that once the fixator has been removed & the 4 holes ( where the pins were fixed ) repaired , caution will still be required as the bone will take 12 months to get back to 98% strength !
So Walter will miss out on his puppyhood, bless him. I had thought of asking Breesfalt Deerhounds if I could give a home to one of Walters siblings (after fixator removal) so that Walter would have a playmate who he already knows & who would be less boisterous than Amy & Charlie.I believe that there is still a boy available due to a 12th hour change of plans by the original purchaser.BUT, as we have to remain careful for much longer than I had thought then this is not an option. He would just love to play with Amy & Charlie & ditto they with him, but I just couldn't risk it, now it appears this will be the case for the next 12 months !
Despite all, Walter is managing well getting about, & remains the loving, funny, inqusative , adorable cuddle pot that came to join the Camus Cuin family at Easter.
Attachments:

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24226 by camuscuin
Wee Walter is returning to the vets in Stirling tomorrow. He will get an x-ray taken then if all is OK his fixator will be removed :cheer: & his lampshade :cheer: :cheer: Then the fun will start as I will be on pins knowing that he no longer has the external support & that he will have to be ever so careful for some time yet.

Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago #24230 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Hello camuscuin,

Thanks for your actual informations.

We hope the best for Wee Walter and a great time in future.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24236 by houndy
Replied by houndy on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Wishing wee walter all the best for tomorrow :)

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24237 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
All the best for tomorrow - and the following weeks of rehab ! - from us ,too !!!

P.S.: Wee Walter deosn't look that wee any more....

More
10 years 6 months ago #24239 by Robb
Replied by Robb on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Hope all goes well for Walter tomorrow. I symphasise with you as I know it won't be easy keeping him safe. maybe a small fenced off area in the garden may help.

Rob B

More
10 years 6 months ago #24250 by Jacobite
Replied by Jacobite on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Good luck with Walter's trip to the vets, I hope all goes well.

Pam

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24257 by hairybeasty
Replied by hairybeasty on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Everything crossed for a few weeks.. :blink:

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24467 by camuscuin
Wee Walter no longer has a wonky leg :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
The Orthopeadic Vet at Stirling X-rayed , was pleased with the results, then removed the fixator :cheer: :cheer: I took his lamp shade off tonight :cheer: :woohoo: He is just so cute & a very brave wee boy.
We still have to be careful,- the vet said it was OK for him to run around the house but not to let him play with Charlie & Amy just yet, not to let him run in the garden or dig :( . Nightmare ! Especially as all 3 dogs just want to play.
I've cordoned off a small area in the garden for Walter so that he can have some outside area to play in off lead but not large enough for him to run. I can see him working out an escape plan & given half a chance he would attempt to jump over I'm sure. I stop him from digging so he has resorted to pulling up plants with his mouth, then bringing them inside the house & into his bed. I was taking some photo's , then stopped to clear up the soil off the carpet, so Walter then ran off with the camara which of course he took to his bed as well !

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24470 by camuscuin
Walter trying to remove the temporary fence !

Attachments:

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24473 by camuscuin
Wee Walter

Attachments:

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24478 by hairybeasty
Replied by hairybeasty on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
So glad that he sems to have healed well :) ...the next bit is down to you.. :angry: .all the best walter.. :)

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #24479 by camuscuin
Walter took my bathmat from my bathroom, threw it around "Wee Walter's Wee Garden ", then returned it to his bed !
Attachments:

More
10 years 6 months ago #24482 by wallace
Replied by wallace on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
So glad to hear the wee one is doing well. Tell him to behave himself now. Have fun keeping him quiet :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.382 seconds