× Canine health related discussions

Wee Walter's Wonky Leg

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23298 by camuscuin
Wee Walter's Wonky Leg was created by camuscuin
Wee Walter has had an accident, unfortunately not such a wee accident either. We were in the garden chilling out in the sun when Walter ran to me. Unfortunately he fell over en-route.(My garden is full of rabbit holes, mole hills etc & so is not bowling green standard) Boy did he cry, bless him. My own vet referred Wee Walter to the Orthopeadic vet at Stirling as we don't have an x-ray machine on Mull & if his leg was broken then this would be the best option. The x-ray showed a brake in his Ulna & so an operation followed. As he is just a pup & is growing at such a rate of knots a plaster cast was not an option. I chose the external fixator, this is fixed to the good bone via temporary pins , which basically holds the leg together while the brake mends.
Wee Walter has been a very very brave boy. I think he has forgiven me for letting him down, I just hope the breeder does likewise. He is still the extreamly loving, adorable, cuddle pot, despite all.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #23300 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Re: Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor wee soul! We too have a garden like a moonscape and I'm amazed that so far only the two-legged species have fallen down the holes. John even filled holes, bought and laid new turf, only to look out the window to see Freya racing round the garden with her new "turf toy" throwing it to the four winds!mmmmm. I do hope Little Walter will heal soon and get back to normal.

More
10 years 7 months ago #23301 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor Walter, I am sure he will be up and about terrorising everyone soon!!

Don't blame yourself, these things happen, it could have happened anywhere. You might want to get some topsoil though and fill those holes (if he is not the one actually digging them!!!!)

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23303 by camuscuin
Replied by camuscuin on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg

I'm afraid it's both Walter & Amy who do the digging. The mole hills are just too attractive/must have a scent which neither dog can resist. Walter has even tried to dig a mole hill with his wonky leg ! ( Obviously I stop him ). :blink:
Attachments:

More
10 years 7 months ago #23304 by Robb
Replied by Robb on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
I'm so sorry to hear of poor Walter's misfortune, he looks such a lovely pup. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Rob B

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23305 by camuscuin
Thanks for your comments. Walter should make a full & complete recovery, & hopefully once the fixator has been removed will be as good as new. Problem is I was given strict instructions not to let walter run, jump, etc keep him still ... for the 6 weeks !!!!!It's just so unfair when he just wants to be a pup. I made the mistake of looking at the Breesfalt Deerhound web site yesterday, & looked at the video links which showed Walters siblings who were playing & having normal puppy fun, just like Walter should be.

More
10 years 7 months ago #23306 by farnorth
Replied by farnorth on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Best wishes and a speedy recovery from us all up here.

More
10 years 7 months ago #23309 by Jacobite
Replied by Jacobite on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor Walter I hope he's soon feeling much better. Don't you just love vets when they say things like that. Short of shutting the dog in a crate (for heavens sake don't do that), how do you stop a Deerhound puppy from running around.

Pam

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

More
10 years 7 months ago #23310 by Ironstone
Replied by Ironstone on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Noooooo, not Wee Walter. Beastly luck. But kudos to you camuscuin for seeking prompt and capable medical attention for him. Six weeks of rest might sound like a long time, but really what is it within the context of an entire lifespan? A mere flash. The important thing is his bones mend properly as that will affect the rest of his life.

Picture of him lying on the couch, sad and dejected. With a head cone as well. As if to say "Is there no end to my suffering?" Poooor thing.

I'm going outside right now to cover a hole in my deck before a dashing deerhound drops a leg into it.

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
10 years 7 months ago #23314 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Hello camuscuin,

We wish Wee Walter a speedy and full recovery.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki

More
10 years 7 months ago #23360 by Brollachan
Replied by Brollachan on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor wee Walter. Wishing him a full and speedy recovery

More
10 years 7 months ago #23369 by daisymay
Replied by daisymay on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor darling Wee Walter, hope he feels better soon, lots of love and ear rubs for him :kiss: :kiss:

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23374 by hairybeasty
Replied by hairybeasty on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor wee beasty!!Cant be much fun for him or for you either!!

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23378 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Oh the poor boy -hope , he will adjust fine and all heals back together in a jiffy !!!Sending good energies to all of you , I know , how hard it is to have an inured dog , especially a puppy-deerhound .....
One of mine broke her knee when 4.5mths old ( slippig on a patch of ice and smashing onto asphalt ) , as she had also damaged some of the ligaments it took forever for her to heal - nothing but time could help - leashwalks and acupuncture treatments to deal with pain - and waiting for the bones to become stronger/harder ( which starts around 10mths or so ) - she was ok playing in the yard at least with my other , only slightly older puppy at that time . All in all Mawu was on leash for about 1 year until all was well - still , she was/is always happy , always smiling and making the best out of every situation - good for her , as her zest for life ( and wildlife I might add !) has lead to more injuries during the last few years ( now being 5.5 years old , having spent 2 years of those on leash due to injuries....) - she never gives up and is the greatest huntress here and very , very playful and happy , loving every second of her life - she taught me soooo much on how to deal with bad situations , really !

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23395 by camuscuin

Walter might be feeling a bit naffed off because I won't let him run around or play with Amy & Charlie so he has taken too pinching my boots & trainers instead.
We are going to the vets ( Mull not Stirling ) for a check-up in the morning. Walter can't wait, he loves the vets, especially the vets beard which is great fun to pull !
Attachments:

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #23396 by houndy
Replied by houndy on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Poor wee walter :( Wishing him a speedy recovery

More
10 years 6 months ago #23455 by daisymay
How did wee Walter get on at the vet?

• camuscuin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #23471 by camuscuin
I took Walter to the vet's on Monday for a check as on Sunday I asked a nurse ( human orthopedic nurse who lives a few miles from me )to take a look at him. He thought that there was the beginnings of an infection where one of the 4 pins is connected into the bone, so he gave Walter's leg a clean up & recommended a trip to the vets & possibly antibiotics. Spoke to the vet late Sunday & saw him 1st thing Monday. Unfortunately there is a minor infection but this should clear with the use of antibiotics. I am now cleaning around the pins at least 3 times a day using a solution & cotton buds ( the ones humans use for cleaning there ears ).I think that the problem was due to Walter outgrowing his lampshade which although still wearing it , it wasn't preventing him from licking the bottom pin.Although I kept stopping him from doing so , inevitably he must have done so when I was asleep. He now is wearing a larger lampshade. Walter is feeling fine in himself, my biggest problem is stopping him from running about. He barks at Amy & Charlie, pulls their tails/legs, pinches their toys, pinches their favourate seat etc & I'm telling them not to react ! nightmare.

The photo is of Charlie ( who had pinched my seat) with Walter ( who also wanted the same chair).
Attachments:

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #23481 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re:Wee Walter's Wonky Leg
Oh poor Walter and poor you - how much longer is the estimated healing time ?
Any chances of putting up a nice big xpenn for him , filled with toys and things to chew and tear apart ( the puppy energy has to go somewhere !) , for the time , when you can't watch ?

More
10 years 6 months ago #23487 by daisymay
Oh bless him, I love the photo. I hope the infection clears up quickly. I like verenav's idea of the puppy play pen :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds