create a website

• Bundaleer
  • Bundaleer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
11 years 11 months ago #2924 by Bundaleer
create a website was created by Bundaleer
I have to create a website for my research and I was wondering which program you used to create this website? I really like the clean professional look this one has. I probably don't need the forum section, but a secure encrypted area where people can sign up would be good.

Any help greatly appreciated

Hannah

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #2925 by Teratyke
Replied by Teratyke on topic Re:create a website
Hi Hannah
This site is built on Joomla.
Joomla is one of many content management systems (CMS). It’s arguably the best, certainly one of the fastest growing. It’s all open source (free), but you couldn’t buy better. Out of the box you get a system that will allow you to create a fully functioning site which allows you to setup ‘users’ assign them permissions and allow them access to documents etc. Wit the right host you could have your site up and running in next to no time. Although it will probably take you a lot longer to learn how to use it!

You can customise your install with thousands of add-ons (some you have to pay for). The forum is one such component that I have installed into this site. There are photo galleries, sitemaps, well the list is endless and nearly all are free.
You can change the look and feel of your site by installing a template, there are again thousands (some free some to pay for), some better than others and all offering different things. You can customise your template to make the site look and behave exactly as you would like.
This site uses one of the default templates; If you don’t want to spend all your time working on the website then I would recommended sticking to one of the default templates. It will save you a lot of time in the future and they tend to work without too many problems. You can switch templates at any time to tottaly change how the site looks without loosing any content, if you don’t like it you can switch back. Easy!
All the Joomla software runs on your webserver, so you don’t need any special software on your computer although there are some tools that will help. You can manage your site from anywhere.
You will need a host (webserver) who supports php4 (preferably php5) and allows you to install a MYSQL database. Most decent hosting packages allow you to do this. It can be very confusing when you start out, so I would recommend having two sites, one for testing on that you can wipe clean and start again on if you install a component that breaks your site and a live one that you don’t mess with – you can normally install two sites on the same domain, but you will need to have at least two MYSQL db’s (some hosts won’t allow that). For hosting I use www.heartinternet.com , they are quite expensive, but they are a UK company and host all their content in the UK, which appeals to me personally. Most people don’t care where there site is hosted and you may well be able to get very cheep or free hosting. The ones you pay for will be more help though and some will even install Joomla for you – although that is not really that difficult if you a prepared to have a go.
Look here…
Joomla – www.joomla.org
Joomla Addons – extensions.joomla.org
This site looks like it might be helpful - www.joomlatutorials.com/
An Australian web host look ok, there will be loads, probably best if you can get someone you know to recommend one- www.ausweb.com.au/

It can take a while to get your head around Joomla, it’s a world away from using programs like MS Frontpage, but it is excellent and as long as you don’t spend too long worrying about the details at the beginning then you will pick it up and be able to tweak things later.

Best thing about Joomla is that as its all free most people who have benefited from using it will be willing to help others, so there is a lot of community support when you get stuck.

Good Luck
Rob

ps don't forget you will need to backup your site every so often and your MYSQL database frequently as this is where all your content is held. Your web host should help with this.
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by Teratyke. Reason: added ps

More
11 years 11 months ago #2927 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re:create a website
So technical, I'm lost, you clever lot!

• Bundaleer
  • Bundaleer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
11 years 11 months ago #2962 by Bundaleer
Replied by Bundaleer on topic Re:create a website
Hi Rob,
Thanks so much for that, Joomla sounds perfect for what I need, I'll have a look round their website and contact some providers here in Aus to check they will host that format. Price isn't too much of an issue as the project has funding.

Thanks again for all your help, what a supportive community this is!!

Hannah

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 11 months ago #2964 by MrsMc
Replied by MrsMc on topic Re:create a website
You can make an effective website in MS publisher and they have premade templates.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds