× More fun than owning a deerhound? Surely not!

Thoughts about Dog Shows - wider appeal?

• Teratyke
  • Teratyke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Is one ever enough?
More
9 years 10 months ago #2272 by Teratyke
Teratyke created the topic: Thoughts about Dog Shows - wider appeal?
The few dog shows I have attended have had one thing in common. They are business like and pretty efficient at getting lots of dogs in front of lots of Judges. This is without a doubt what is needed on the day. Crufts would be an exception to this, where there is range of activities.
Dog shows and showing can be intimidating for outsiders. There is little to attract people who are not already actively involved. It can be a difficult environment to take children - not really a family event. There are some very talented young handlers, but in my opinion there isn't much encouragement to 'have a go'.

There are probably very good reasons for this, but with mounting pressure from the 'anti' movement, shouldn't organisers be trying to encourage the general public and young? If not to be involved with breeding then at least to admire the dogs and see pedigree dogs as a positive thing.

I’m not suggesting the places should be mobbed with bystanders and children running around everywhere, but there might be a happy medium.

I wonder what shows are like outside the UK?

Just a few of my thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cassandra1260
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #2283 by cassandra1260
cassandra1260 replied the topic: Re:Thoughts about Dog Shows - wider appeal?
In Canada we have a Junior Handling club that shows at lunch time..lots of people like to watch because some of the kids can be pretty young. So cute. A few years back there was a little girl, cute as can be...trying to handle a Boxer. Hmm.. Those kids serious about handling of course are better matched and are members of the club, but any child with a little knowledge can handle at the early level. They are judged on 'their' ability...not by having a push button dog borrowed from a prof. handler....although some of us do wonder at times...and I do think they should not show up with the same breed time after time. They are supposed to know about different breeds, etc. I used to hold the club meetings at my farm when my son was involved...there is some effort required. Also - we offer agility demonstrations...there is always a ton of great shopping to do to. Just don't eat the food...unless it comes from the judges room (donated by club members)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds